2024 Ford Ranger and Raptor Add Comfort, Capability and Performance to Midsize Pickups

2024 Ford Ranger and Raptor Add Comfort, Capability and Performance to Midsize Pickups

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2024/03/19/what-makes-the-2024-ford-ranger-and-ranger-raptor-pickups-so-special/73022546007/

Detroit Free Press_2024 Ranger.jpg

SALT LAKE CITY – The Truck War ratchets up as Ford launches an advanced new version of its midsize Ranger pickup for 2024 — including a 400-horsepower Ranger Raptor, the first time the legendary desert-racing model has been offered in the U.S.

The 2024 Ford Ranger rides on an entirely new frame featuring high-strength steel and fully boxed rails for maximum performance and comfort.

The Ranger is one of Ford's core global vehicles. It builds the midsize pickup in five plants around the world:

• Wayne, Michigan
  • Rayong, Thailand (two plants)
  • Silverton, South Africa
  • General Pacheco, Argentina

Sold in more than 180 countries, Rangers serve as everything from sport trucks to family vehicles and workhorses. All Rangers sold in the U.S. and Canada come from Wayne, Michigan, where they’re built alongside the Bronco SUV.

The 2024 model is new from the ground up. Key structural changes in addition to the frame include a 2-inch longer wheelbase, 2-inch wider track, rear shocks mounted outside the frame to improve ride and tuneability for different roads and uses.

The electrical architecture also is new, enabling over-the-air updates, 4G modem and Wi-Fi hot spot.

2024 Ford Ranger trim levels and prices

• XL: $32,565
  • XLT: $36,005
  • Lariat: $43,525
  • Raptor: $55,365

Source: Edmunds. Prices exclude $1,595 destination charge.

2024 Ford Ranger bed key features

• Easy-lift tailgate
  • 48-inch bed floor between wheel wells
  • Outside steps for bed access
  • Six tie-downs
  • LED light
  • 400W power inverter with outlet
  • Cup and iPad holders molded into tailgate

I look forward to taking a Raptor off-road, and possibly airborne, later this spring.

Additional content at the source...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2024/03/19/what-makes-the-2024-ford-ranger-and-ranger-raptor-pickups-so-special/73022546007/

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Given the pricing of the Raptor and Bronco Raptor, the Ranger Raptor is a steal! I bet it doesn't stay that cheap or you won't get it without a hefty ADM on it. 

I’d consider one if it came as a Supercab with a 6’ bed at MSRP.  Probably wouldn’t pay an ADM though.

Edited by akirby

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I’d consider one if it came as a Supercab with a 6’ bed at MSRP.  Probably wouldn’t pay an ADM though.

I'll be really surprised if they bring the SuperCab Ranger back in the US.  I'll bet that most of the prior generation were fleet/delivery vehicles, the market seems to be pretty happy with Maverick filling that slot.

HRG

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Car and Driver said it well — “My, How You've Grown”

Looks great to me, particularly in blue, though I wonder if size, cost, and fuel consumption have become too close to F-150?

No not even close.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'll be really surprised if they bring the SuperCab Ranger back in the US.  I'll bet that most of the prior generation were fleet/delivery vehicles, the market seems to be pretty happy with Maverick filling that slot.

HRG

I wouldn’t be completely shocked either but I think it’s likely because:

Ford reps have said it’s coming

Tacoma still has it

They added a third shift so they’re expecting more volume including at least some fleet sales

Andrew Cascadan says data indicated the SuperCrew/5-foot combo is what most people wanted, and that it made more sense to devote whatever budget might’ve been used for creating a SuperCab towards other improvements.

That explains why they didn’t include it at launch.

On 3/19/2024 at 7:34 AM, ice-capades said:

Detroit Free Press_2024 Ranger.jpg

SALT LAKE CITY – The Truck War ratchets up as Ford launches an advanced new version of its midsize Ranger pickup for 2024 — including a 400-horsepower Ranger Raptor, the first time the legendary desert-racing model has been offered in the U.S.

The 2024 Ford Ranger rides on an entirely new frame featuring high-strength steel and fully boxed rails for maximum performance and comfort.

The Ranger is one of Ford's core global vehicles. It builds the midsize pickup in five plants around the world:

• Wayne, Michigan
  • Rayong, Thailand (two plants)
  • Silverton, South Africa
  • General Pacheco, Argentina

Sold in more than 180 countries, Rangers serve as everything from sport trucks to family vehicles and workhorses. All Rangers sold in the U.S. and Canada come from Wayne, Michigan, where they’re built alongside the Bronco SUV.

The 2024 model is new from the ground up. Key structural changes in addition to the frame include a 2-inch longer wheelbase, 2-inch wider track, rear shocks mounted outside the frame to improve ride and tuneability for different roads and uses.

The electrical architecture also is new, enabling over-the-air updates, 4G modem and Wi-Fi hot spot.

2024 Ford Ranger trim levels and prices

• XL: $32,565
  • XLT: $36,005
  • Lariat: $43,525
  • Raptor: $55,365

Source: Edmunds. Prices exclude $1,595 destination charge.

2024 Ford Ranger bed key features

• Easy-lift tailgate
  • 48-inch bed floor between wheel wells
  • Outside steps for bed access
  • Six tie-downs
  • LED light
  • 400W power inverter with outlet
  • Cup and iPad holders molded into tailgate

I look forward to taking a Raptor off-road, and possibly airborne, later this spring.

Additional content at the source...

Not to be technical, but its also now produced in China...

On 3/19/2024 at 10:32 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

They probably could skip the supercab if they added a 6’ bed option to the crewcab version.  I would anticipate that’s one of the main appeals of the supercab.  

4 hours ago, tbone said:

They probably could skip the supercab if they added a 6’ bed option to the crewcab version.  I would anticipate that’s one of the main appeals of the supercab.  

For me I want the shorter overall length so I can walk behind it in the garage.  My F150 is 231” and I only have about 3” of clearance to the garage door.  Ranger Supercab 6’ bed is 211” which gives me 2’.  A supercrew 6’ bed would be 223” and that wouldn’t be enough room.

But I think the biggest reason is that a supercab 6’ has the same wheelbase as the supercrew 5’.

• Like 3

If Bronco sales are starting to slow a bit, maybe this is the perfect opportunity for buyers to

fall in love with new Ranger and see a nice spike in sales.

Ranger Raptor is great value compared to Bronco Raptor and that may be another reason 

that some late Bronco buyers begin to switch…..I can see this working out well for Ford.

My second generation Ranger with regular cab and 6-ft bed was relatively short (just under 185”), making it quite maneuverable.  Narrow width just under 70” helped a lot too.  A few times I wish I had longer 7-foot bed, but 6-ft was fine most of the time.  No doubt modern Ranger is far more capable, but I liked the smaller size for my needs.  Some will argue Maverick fills that “smaller” need, but it’s not the same in my opinion.

On 3/19/2024 at 10:21 AM, Rick73 said:

Car and Driver said it well — “My, How You've Grown”

Looks great to me, particularly in blue, though I wonder if size, cost, and fuel consumption have become too close to F-150?

You are comparing it to the wrong truck. You should really be asking what does the ranger provide that the maverick doesn’t? The interiors are very similar in size. I think the maverick even has more rear leg room than the ranger. Ranger can obviously tow more and has a bigger bed, but is that worth an extra 10k to most buyers? 

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

You are comparing it to the wrong truck. You should really be asking what does the ranger provide that the maverick doesn’t? The interiors are very similar in size. I think the maverick even has more rear leg room than the ranger. Ranger can obviously tow more and has a bigger bed, but is that worth an extra 10k to most buyers? 

I really, really wanted to order a Gen6 Ranger, but with my retirement in 6/2023 (and losing my company car), I'd have been 9+ months waiting on them to finally start shipping.  I'm already on my 2nd Maverick, and you're right, adding another $10K to get the features I want in a Ranger just doesn't make sense for me.  Still waiting on one to show up at a nearby dealers lot to look at though.

HRG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

For me it’s bed size since I haul 9’-10’ lumber.  For others it’s true 4wd, running larger tires, more ground clearance.  Some need the additional payload and towing.  Some want more performance.  Lots of reasons for a lot of buyers.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

No, I had already answered that prior to your post.  For me the Maverick, as good as it is, is not comparable to my old Ranger.  Neither is the new Ranger for that matter.  Reality is that there is no comparable pickup today.  Not judging whether that’s good or bad, just that there isn’t one in my opinion, based on owning one for many years.

I will concede that Maverick is close to my Ranger in cost if adjusted for inflation.  I paid roughly $21k for a Ranger XLT in today’s dollars, but that included dealer discount.  Maverick is far nicer than my Ranger.  Just saying that if looking for basic, simple, and affordable truck that happens to be compact in size, I think there is nothing comparable to 2nd generation Ranger.

10 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Ford did a really good job on the Maverick and yes, the internal dimensions are very close

which is one area I was hoping would change with the wider track. I guess the  concern was

making the cabin so big that Ranger started poaching F150 sales. The F150 supercab  with

short bed is still a viable option for many folks but I’d have to check the price…..

9 hours ago, Rick73 said:

I will concede that Maverick is close to my Ranger in cost if adjusted for inflation.  I paid roughly $21k for a Ranger XLT in today’s dollars, but that included dealer discount.  Maverick is far nicer than my Ranger.  Just saying that if looking for basic, simple, and affordable truck that happens to be compact in size, I think there is nothing comparable to 2nd generation Ranger.

I owned a 90 and 95 Ranger.  Maverick is light years better in every dimension except bed length.

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

I owned a 90 and 95 Ranger.  Maverick is light years better in every dimension except bed length.

Pretty much. A maverick is a modern take on the old school ranger formula, but better in every way aside from the bed length as you mentioned. We'll see how they hold up long term, but mavericks seem to be looking solid there as well. I'll be curious to see if mavericks have the same reputation in 10-15 years that 90s and 2000s rangers do now. 

My uncle owned a mid 90s ranger, the thing felt like a death trap, especially if you were riding in the rear jump seats. Not the worst truck in the world, reliable, simple, capable enough. But it was a far more compromised vehicle than the maverick is.

8 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

My uncle owned a mid 90s ranger, the thing felt like a death trap, especially if you were riding in the rear jump seats. Not the worst truck in the world, reliable, simple, capable enough. But it was a far more compromised vehicle than the maverick is.

My dad still has his 1998 Ranger...yeah its a bit on the rough side. I was slightly shocked when I got my Bronco (being my first BOF/truck based vehicle) at how refined it is vs the Ranger. It is just as nice (with in reason due to the top) as unibody vehicles in ride and handling.