Fusion / Milan Overtake Camry and Accord In Quality

range

Ford Closes the Gap on Asian Automakers

Ford’s recent year-end Global Quality Research System survey (GQRS) shows that Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan overtook both Toyota Camry and Honda Accord to have the lowest number of TGW, or Things Gone Wrong, for any of the company’s first-year vehicles.

Mercury Milan had 934 TGW, and Ford Fusion had 1,088 TGW versus Toyota’s Camry with 1,311 and Honda’s Accord at 1,221. The rankings reflect things gone wrong per 1,000 vehicles at three months service.

The GQRS results are just one example of Ford’s desire to close the gap on Asian carmakers by adopting a global approach to business and product development.

Under CEO Alan Mulally, Ford created a single, global management team to be able to leverage its global assets by eliminating duplication, implementing best practices and a systematic approach to quality, and utilizing common components for the advantage of scale.

The new integrated approach can be seen in the upcoming Fiesta, Ford’s first global car. The Ford Fiesta was designed and produced in Europe where it will launch in the fall of 2008. It is expected to go into production in Asia, Australia, and North and South America by 2010. Selling one high-volume vehicle helps Ford cut costs, solidify the global brand and continue to make quality strides.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks....

The Fusion beating two good U.S.A. made cars. :shades: That's a blow to the U.S.A. worker.

How did the Mazda 6 do?

Support the U.S.A worker..... Buy products made in the U.S.A.

It all depends on whether this is reflective of the workers, the manufacturing process, or the engineering.

The only story I've ever read regarding differences attributed to workers is more than 10 years old.

That sucks....

The Fusion beating two good U.S.A. made cars. :shades: That's a blow to the U.S.A. worker.

How did the Mazda 6 do?

Ill support the company that made America AND is based in America, thank you. The family just bought an explorer escape and ranger, so I got U.S.A covered, but if I was in the market for a car I wouldnt hesitate one bit for a fusion.

This is great news, regardles of where it was built it is a Ford and adds to our overall quality numbers. Hey Nick didn't you say this was impossible! We are not even close to being done yet. That's right trolls Ford builds a better quality product. :beerchug: Now it is up to the NA manufacturing to do the same, we all have been showing improvement! The game ain't over, but we hit a homerun! I would also like to know the source of this info!

This is great news, regardles of where it was built it is a Ford and adds to our overall quality numbers. Hey Nick didn't you say this was impossible! We are not even close to being done yet. That's right trolls Ford builds a better quality product. :beerchug: Now it is up to the NA manufacturing to do the same, we all have been showing improvement! The game ain't over, but we hit a homerun! I would also like to know the source of this info!

I said NEAR impossible. I hope Ford CAN eclipse the other brands in quality. It's one thing to beat them on one particular model. When they start doing it across the board, people will take notice.

Let me restate the obvious.

As the post says, this was an internal Ford look at quality and not an independent source, so the result might be different if reviewed independently.

"Ford’s recent year-end Global Quality Research System survey (GQRS) shows that Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan overtook both Toyota Camry and Honda Accord to have the lowest number of TGW, or Things Gone Wrong, for any of the company’s first-year vehicles."

Edited by mlhm5

As the post says, this was an internal Ford look at quality and not an independent source, so the result might be different if reviewed independently.

"Ford’s recent year-end Global Quality Research System survey (GQRS) shows that Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan overtook both Toyota Camry and Honda Accord to have the lowest number of TGW, or Things Gone Wrong, for any of the company’s first-year vehicles."

Oh of course. If Ford says it, it's automatically a lie.

BTW, GQRS data has historically tracked the same as JD Powers data. But of course, those hacks are just lying as well.

And don't forget, the Giants won't sack Brady and Ford is falling behind in NASCAR! :hysterical:

Edited by TomServo92

IMHO, the savings in lowered warranty costs (something like a BILLION dollars) has probably caused a whole mental revolution.

Heretofore, warranty costs were bitched about, but seen as a built-in component of doing business: the "same as it ever was" mind-set. But with new models from 2K5 on, improvements across the board started to be visible, and the cost savings became even more important as Ford re-built itself. Putting the quality in simplifies the marketing process, and is simple to understand, but, sometimes, companies have to be threatened with oblivion before they finally get it at the bean-counter level.

That sucks....

How did the Mazda 6 do?

Its not fair to come out and blame factory workers. If the defects are due to assembly issues, then what you say is true. But you can't blame them if what have to work with come from poor engineering and/or too many bean counters making changes to save a few bucks.

I said NEAR impossible. I hope Ford CAN eclipse the other brands in quality. It's one thing to beat them on one particular model. When they start doing it across the board, people will take notice.

I agree as long as we can be consistant and maintain the lead! Either way their successes in Hermosillo bring up the company average!

Its not fair to come out and blame factory workers. If the defects are due to assembly issues, then what you say is true. But you can't blame them if what have to work with come from poor engineering and/or too many bean counters making changes to save a few bucks.

Quality control problems that are related to human error are the fault of the company and not the worker. Systems must be designed to minimize human error, badly designed and managed systems will actually perpetrate human error. It does not matter where a car is built, quality is a designed system that does not depend on the collective unpredictability of thousands of individuals.

Wrong all automakers use the same unit of measure TGW per 80 units built to determine initial quality. Ford also tracks other companies reporting, therefore your arguement is bunk! What we need to do is continue the coarse and maintain the lead while the other products are brought to the same level. Also Ford coporate needs to watch parts fatigue so that material quality adjustments can be made to ensure long term reliability! Your just pissed that we are reclaining the thrown in the qual;ity arena. I generally try to avoid bashing other domestics but look at our two counterparts. One of them is # one in volume in the world and they have not made thye improvement by % that we have. And what of Chysler rather than pound away on quality, they have increased warranty coverage to offset the costs to their customers! We are all in the same position, but we obviously more motivated to increase our value to our customers! We don't have to outsell our competition, but rather sell the highest % we can at retail price and do it profitably, while increasing quality!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Any monkey can build a car that looks and feels solid for 90 days. The key is quality over the long run. Ford may have improved but deep down, you cheerleaders know there is still some work to be done. Also, this is a FORD survey!! I am sure a survey by Toyota or Honda will reflect different results. Regardless, the Camry and Accord will keep on kicking the Fusion's ass is sales for a long long long time to come.

Edited by Ford??-LOL!

Any monkey can build a car that looks and feels solid for 90 days. The key is quality over the long run. Ford may have improved but deep down, you cheerleaders know there is still some work to be done. Also, this is a FORD survey!! I am sure a survey by Toyota or Honda will reflect different results. Regardless, the Camry and Accord will keep on kicking the Fusion's ass is sales for a long long long time to come.

We can never stop "0" defects is the goal. Are you suggesting Ford would lie with everyone watching and knowing how to verify it? Will you still be in denile when our entire line-up trumps the imports sustainably? If you have not noticed you have not broken anyone here's spirit and we a still moving foreward as cone company! If you are disappointed now than I'll let you borrow my Taurus 45 cal. later so you can take out some agression! Just be careful not to point it at anyone else!

Edited by Furious1Auto

That sucks....

How did the Mazda 6 do?

An American car assembled in Mexico is more American then a Japanese car assembled in the USA. Remember, Toyota & Honda do NOT build vehicles in the USA, they assemble them here. If you want me to go into the boring details, I will...

Are you calling Mexicans "monkeys"? That's pretty low, even for a troll like you.

:redcard: Richard, we need to ban racist trash like this.

It's interesting because I remember a comment a couple years back about GM, specifically, that went something like: "if they can't hold up for 90-days, how can we expect them to hold up for 9 years!" What's interesting is that now that Ford beats or matches every automaker in 90-day surveys of quality, everyone has to fall back to the "well... I'll believe it when they last 10 years without problems." It's... convenient.

This is NOT a Ford survey. This is a survey commissioned by Ford (and other automakers, including Honda and Toyota) to track themselves against competitors. Ford does not expect to win in every category - the company is being hired because Ford and others know they will give them accurate data.

Even if you could get a 200hp 4-cylinder engine that averaged 30 mpg in a car with the best NVH and interior in its class for less than $18,000, the Fusion still wouldn't outsell the Camry and Accord. It just hasn't existed long enough and Ford is not known for its mid-sized cars anymore. That's changing. The Fusion has built up an enormous amount of positive equity in its name. It is associated with frugality, value, fun, quality and reliability. It's only among a small group of people, but that group grows every month. It just can't outsell the Camry or Accord yet. No new vehicle has ever gone from 0 to 400,000 in one year - and Ford doesn't have the equity to take one there even if a new vehicle could.

Just because you can't recognize Ford's successes, doesn't mean the cheerleaders are always wrong.

Even if you could get a 200hp 4-cylinder engine that averaged 30 mpg in a car with the best NVH and interior in its class for less than $18,000, the Fusion still wouldn't outsell the Camry and Accord. It just hasn't existed long enough and Ford is not known for its mid-sized cars anymore. That's changing. The Fusion has built up an enormous amount of positive equity in its name. It is associated with frugality, value, fun, quality and reliability. It's only among a small group of people, but that group grows every month. It just can't outsell the Camry or Accord yet. No new vehicle has ever gone from 0 to 400,000 in one year - and Ford doesn't have the equity to take one there even if a new vehicle could.

Just because you can't recognize Ford's successes, doesn't mean the cheerleaders are always wrong.

That's right, and it is because the Fusion capacity is less than the import competition. Meaning we cannot even build more than they can in a month, so how could we sell more. Let Toyo and Hon flood the market with their vehicles, it is going to kill their resale!

Edited by Furious1Auto

The Accord, I can't comment on as it recently went on sale ....... the Camry on the other hand has seen more and more fleet usage over there years.

Furthermore regardless as to whether it is a Ford survey or not, why release something that isn't factual? What makes you so sure a Toyota or Honda survey would be different? Do you have first hand experience with all 3 cars?

Are you calling Mexicans "monkeys"? That's pretty low, even for a troll like you.

:redcard: Richard, we need to ban racist trash like this.

I hate to defend someone I'd so like to see banned, but "any monkey can..." is a cliche, not a racial pejorative. If he had said "even those monkeys" that would be a different matter.