Undisguised Camaro Caught

BORG

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mustang styling also drew a little something from every generation of Mustang. The new Camaro draws from the '69, origami, steroids, and crack.

1. 09' Camaro --- too futuristic compared to it's design donar --- 69' Camaro
  2. 08' Challenger --- full retro, looks nearly identical to it design donor --- 70' Challenger
  3. 05' Mustang --- riding the fence, it is a moderate retro/futuristic design compared to it's design donor ---67' Mustang

I'm sure the other two will capture some of the Mustang's sales initially, but the Stang is more moderate and appealing to people that veiw both aspects are important. I would be more concerned about the Challenger than the Camaro though!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I think out of the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro, the Camaro is the most cartoony of the three. All the GM fans talk about how the Mustang is too retro, but proportionally it was done much better than the other two. Don't get me wrong, I like both the Challenger and Camaro, but both cars are too big and "overstylized" is a good term to describe them. The pointy nose, concave rear, and big hips on the Camaro are too much. The Mustang is more restrained, which will wear better over time.

I am really happy with my new Mustang. I agree the styling was done right. All the right styling cues were incorporated with fresh modern surfacing and proportions. If Ford had literally taken all of the styling devices and sheet metal forms from the original Mustang it would have just looked old and dated. There is nothing wrong with the exact classic look when taken in the context of it actually being a classic car, but when you do a new Mustang it needs to look fresh and modern but instantly recognizable. To me the new Mustang looks like a natural evolution of the original as if there was no intreuption of the basic design theme from 1964 1/2 to 1970. This car will look good in 40 years just as the originals Mustangs look good now. The great thing is I see the new Mustang has continuity with the first generation, the Mustang II and the 1994-2004 models.

One of the things I love about the new Mustang is the fastback roofline and the exact rear quarter window designs. It makes me not miss having a convertible model at all. I know the 2010 Mustang is aquiring hips but I worry it will make the design a little hodge podge. I like the clean straight lines flowing to the rear so much that I don't feel it adds anything to make them bulbous and hippy.

If the effort was not put into making the S197 Mustang, we could have ended up with a restyled SN-95 like the ones below. However it would have been a nice redesign of the existing SN-95 bodystyle.

05Clay1102-1.jpg

05Clay1102-2.jpg

Back to the Camaro, the hood design is not clean, the rear is completely awkward and the dash is a disaster of a cheap looking portable boom box look with that audio/HVAC control poking out the center of the dash like a zit fixin to pop.

Certainly there are only a couple of things I would change about the Mustang interior. Mostly the center console and e-brake design so that the console doesn't look like black rubbermaid and the e-brake not looking like some giant bent black dick.

Meanwhile Mustang sales didn't even break the 8000 mark in February, because it's such a great car. lol

There's nothing wrong with liking Ford. I like some of their stuff too. But fankly this site is one big Ford circle jerk fest. If you guys are for real, you need to get a f***ing life, seriously. It's pathetic.

Yes thats true, 8000 more Pony cars the Chevrolet sold. How many since 05? The Camaro story is old and boring. We have been looking at this thing on the internet for 2 years. Build the friggin thing. Oh and just in time for $ 4.00 gas. GM is retarded

"Over stylized" is a fancy way of saying what exactly? Oh yeah, nothing. It's words that mean nothing except in your own perception of what you think the car should or shouldn't be. Some people no doubt think the Mustang is "over stylized", whatever that's supposed to mean.

mehh being an official term for what? Oh yeah, nothing. Just more perception.

From time to time, I forget where I post. Then silly posts like the one quoted above remind me where I am.

Perception huh? And what you offered up is official? I never said everyone had to hate it, now did I? I just don't care much for the design. I guess it's OK for you to voice your opinion, but the minute someone disagrees with you it is nothing but mere perception. That's not how that works....

If you don't know what over stylized means, I suggest you find a dictionary and look up both words, that might help you along

Frankly to me the Challenger and Camro both have more appeal than the stang. Unlike the Mustang, the Challenger actually will have an interior that is well designed.

Yup, that's perception......

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Hmmm...and what other coupe on the market even came CLOSE to 8000 units last month? Just under 100K is pretty incredible for a "niche car", don't you think? Fact is, we've been spoiled by the SUCCESS of the S197 so badly that when sales become "very good" instead of "holy shit they can't build enough" it starts looks like a disappointment.

I agree with you there. I re read my comments and i meant to say that someone is bitching about 8000 a month as if it were a bad thing. 8000 a month is killer for any 2 door, let alone sporty coupe.

The Mustang doesn't come off looking like a cartoon carature of it's old self. The new Camaro does... Matter of fact it looks somewhat goofy like something from the Cars movie...

To me, all new Toyota's look like cartoons. The Fiesta also looks like a cartoon, but it's a B car, so I guess it makes more sense in a way.

Meanwhile Mustang sales didn't even break the 8000 mark in February, because it's such a great car. lol

There's nothing wrong with liking Ford. I like some of their stuff too. But fankly this site is one big Ford circle jerk fest. If you guys are for real, you need to get a f***ing life, seriously. It's pathetic.

And this is coming from someone with 2623 posts? :reading:

To me, all new Toyota's look like cartoons. The Fiesta also looks like a cartoon, but it's a B car, so I guess it makes more sense in a way.

I agree with your assessment of Toyota vehicles. I think, at least from pictures, the Fiesta looks pretty good, maybe a little cartoonish, but as you said it's a b-car, and IMO the best looking one available.

Isn't it about time for a redesign? That thing has been around for years now. Getting tired of looking at it.

Can't believe it won't even be for sale for ANOTHER year.

What, the Mustang? You mean like the redesign that's coming next year?

You must think your f***ing pathetic opinions matter. But fankly my dear, I don't give a damn! LOL

Dude, get a life. You come across more and more ignorant (duh, what's overstyled mean????) every time you post AND are more combative and insulting to the people here. Here's a sugestion: LEAVE!

You're a jerk, circle of exactly ZERO.

Oh, and BTW February is still winter, Mustang sales improve in the spring/summer...because it's a coupe/convertible with RWD (not exactly an ideal winter car).

Edited by timmm55

What, the Mustang? You mean like the redesign that's coming next year?

He's talking about the Camaro. The concept appeared so long ago that the styling is already severely dated (not that it was particularly attractive in the first place). Sometimes people exaggerate things to make a point.

I dunno I kinda like it, outside of the silly looking slit in the middle of the hood (looks like they want KITT back in the worse way with that!)...I have to say this is the first good looking GM product outside the Vette or CTS I like...

And I have an 06 Mustang to boot ;)

The real question is will GM/Camaro lovers be happy with it and will they buy it?

The faithful Mullets will buy it no matter what it looks like. There are a ton of Pony Car people out there who would simply not own one at all than own a Mustang. If Ford canned the Stang, I would not have bought the Camaro.

The front looks a tad strange to me but I could live with that. I like the rest of the car EXCEPT the rear end.

Who in the world designed that? I know its coming with big power or so they say.

Time to grow out those mullets boys and polish up the marijuana belt buckles too. The GM faithful will buy them and I would give them a look if I were in the market.

I like the Mustang, but the update does nothign to keep up with the Camaro.

The problem with the Mustang is that it's a dirt cheap muscle car. They cut out everything not needed to make the car go fast in a straight line. It's not a well rounded sports car, just an affordable one. If I'm paying $30K for a car, it won't be for a Mustang. The Camaro fits the bill perfectly and looks amazing. There is no doubt the Camaro will blow the doors off the Mustang but cost only a few K more. I'm sorry, but cheapest out of the gate does not appeal to me.

Edited by BORG

And you can say this how? Did Ford unveil the 2010 Mustang already and not tell anybody except you?

There is no doubt the Camaro will blow the doors off the Mustang but cost only a few K more. I'm sorry, but cheapest out of the gate does not appeal to me.

No doubt huh? So what is the Camaro's final engine specs? How much horsepower/torque? What is its quarter mile time? And how much does it all cost? Oh wait, that's right!! They haven't released that info yet.

Jumping the gun JUST a bit here aren't you?? :finger:

Thank God for that. Not all of us like the 'Roid Rage look.

The problem with the Mustang is that it's a dirt cheap muscle car.

Why is that a problem? The best Mustangs have all been like that.

They cut out everything not needed to make the car go fast in a straight line. It's not a well rounded sports car, just an affordable one.

Bunk. It outhandles the late, unlamented GTO. Look it up.

The Camaro fits the bill perfectly and looks amazing. There is no doubt the Camaro will blow the doors off the Mustang but cost only a few K more. I'm sorry, but cheapest out of the gate does not appeal to me.

Buy several. (And I'm sure the dealers will sell them to you under sticker price with 0% financing right out of the gate.)

And you can say this how? Did Ford unveil the 2010 Mustang already and not tell anybody except you?

No doubt huh? So what is the Camaro's final engine specs? How much horsepower/torque? What is its quarter mile time? And how much does it all cost? Oh wait, that's right!! They haven't released that info yet.

Jumping the gun JUST a bit here aren't you?? :finger:

A solid rear axle will never outperform an IRS, that alone gurantees a superior performer. To get an IRS in a Mustang that works half-way decent, you have to spend upwards of 40K. No thanks!