2nd Choice

What would you buy if Ford/Lincoln/Mercury etc.. closed up shop tomorrow?

I would go import; probably Honda/Acura. I'm very fond of the new Acura TL so I would jump on that ship :). Hey, I'm a Lincoln owner, my taste is already suspect so forgive me ;) The Acura TL fits my tastes quite well, it's flashy, modern, destinctive, and reasonably priced with emphasis on luxury rather than sport.

Edited by BORG

My new cars have mostly been Fords with a Dodge Daytona Turbo Z in the mix. I have owned several used GM products. Given Chrysler's recent quality issues I would most likely go GM. My mother has had good service from her Hyundai Sonata and my brother did ok with Subaru and he loves his Mini Clubman. I just don't have much interest in a foreign make outside of a Porsche or Jag XK.

I've been eyeing the Jag XF, cept I can't get past the fact that it's "more of the same" and still carries on with the DEW98 platform, which I current have on my LS, so I ask, what am I really upgrading to. Let alone, in Ford fashion it was introduced with yestur-generation drivetrains.

Other than that, if it can't be at ALL related with Ford in any way (even if Jag was just sold of adn the XF is very much a Ford) then next would be.... the BMW 6-Series. Being it's a V8 RWD Coupe, it's exactly what I'm looking for. I just can't stand the nasty red instrumentation, and i-Drive. Although of course I wouldnt keep it past the standard warranty period.

Mazda 6

yeah i would go Mazda because i know "IF" Ford goes under, they would sell mazda and i really like their idea for a vehicle....they like to make things sporty

and i am eyeing the new Mazda 6 anyways

and if not that i would go Chevrolet, although i doubt they would be around if Ford falls

08s had the goofy looking battery gauge on the center dash. I think the 09s dropped that, but hey, if you can get a smoking deal on it its worth living with some 80s looking digital readouts.

oh i can live with it......but what they did with the 09 are not worth the price hike in the GT

plus i think there will be some mods to do something with that 80s gauge

a great car though

What would you buy if Ford/Lincoln/Mercury etc.. closed up shop tomorrow?

I would go import; probably Honda/Acura. I'm very fond of the new Acura TL so I would jump on that ship :). Hey, I'm a Lincoln owner, my taste is already suspect so forgive me ;) The Acura TL fits my tastes quite well, it's flashy, modern, destinctive, and reasonably priced with emphasis on luxury rather than sport.

Are you referring to the current TL or the new (IMO) uglified TL?

I just can't stand the nasty red instrumentation, and i-Drive. Although of course I wouldnt keep it past the standard warranty period.

Supposedly the iDrive system is being given an overhaul for new models from now on, which includes a back button and more easy-to-use menus. I haven't used the new system, I'm just going off of what I've read about it. And yeah, that warranty is nice.... $0 for pretty much everything for 4 yrs 50K I think it is.

Something from Nissan/Infiniti probably. I'm quite fond of that company.

Yeah, those are nice looking (and driving) vehicles.

After Ford, it would be GM...probably a Malibu or Impala, then a Chrysler...probably a minivan. If the domestics went out of business, then a Nissan....probably an Altima or Maxima. That would be it for me. Don't like Toyota or Honda, HATE Korean, and VW reliability maybe has gotten better, but I don't know. I would have to check that out and if decent probably would get a Passat before a Nissan.

If ford went under I'd be driving used from then on.

I certainly wouldn't be buying a $%^&ing import! Why capitulate totally to the ones who brought their demise in the first place? (but I digress, that's another topic)

If the wife screamed loud enough to get a "new" car then it would be.....holy crap I can't even imagine it...sorry, I can't see myself buying anything else.

Mopar or GM but I have no idea what, nothing appeals to me. Charger/challenger/minivan from mopar, no idea from GM.

This whole thread turns my stomach!

Subaru

Geez, don't say that. :shades:

I think it was in one of my very first posts here that I mentioned that my father bought a new Subaru and I was attacked on all sides (darn near) because of the brands lack of reliability (he still drives it) and what a peice of junk it was.. And how could I be a Ford dealership employee and not force my dad into buying a Ford and on and on. :stirpot:

Edited by Ron W.

Geez, don't say that. :shades:

I think it was in one of my very first posts here that I mentioned that my father bought a new Subaru and I was attacked on all sides (darn near) because of the brands lack of reliability (he still drives it) and what a peice of junk it was.. And how could I be a Ford dealership employee and not force my dad into buying a Ford and on and on. :stirpot:

I have seen too many of them go over 200,000 miles to ignore them. Plus, the little lady loves them.