Strikes Would Imperil Bailout Funding

I'm sorry, but IMO, anyone working for the big 3 (or just about any company) who goes on strike now doesn't deserve to have a job. There are so many people out of work who would love to be in that employee's position, they should be allowed to step in and take over for the on-strike employee. A job is not a right...it is a privilege, and people now just don't realize it.

I'm sorry, but IMO, anyone working for the big 3 (or just about any company) who goes on strike now doesn't deserve to have a job. There are so many people out of work who would love to be in that employee's position, they should be allowed to step in and take over for the on-strike employee. A job is not a right...it is a privilege, and people now just don't realize it.

You could volunteer to give up your job to one of those deserving souls, assuming you're a Ford worker or you are working

................................................................................

Let me rephrase my statement for those who have taken it out of context. The ultimate act of sympathy for all those people out of work would be to volunteer to give up their job in favor of a more deserving soul. So please don't aim your conscience at union people, (people on strike) because of the perceived bias you appear to have toward union affiliation.

Based on the statement above, any demand place on a human in the name of a job is ok because of the privilege bestowed upon that human by the company. If your asked to put yourself in danger consider it a privilege, your lucky to have a job...yeah okay. And if you don't think these situations occur then you obviously never worked inside a manufacturing plant.

Edited by nvsked

Are there laws that stop the big 3 from bringing in scab workers?

No, they -- UAW would sue saying the company didn't barging in good faith and such, which would take years in the courts to figure out. Are you really going to wait years to find a job and even when you come back you might not come back for what you wanted anyways you might get the first offer the company put down.

Members in the past have gone after Scab workers and such, but I have a feeling that some (30%-40%)would cross the picket line. When your family isn't eating and you're going to lose your house it makes you have different priorities. Especially for those that think they are carrying the work for lazy workers. It would end up being settled by the courts 3 years from now. Look at Caterpillar in the 80's.

Unions are largely outdated today, Union's used to have huge advantage because members always stuck together. One union went on strike the other wouldn’t cross the line. Well now you're a Union Trucker and GM is on strike you cant be forced to cross the picket line, but if GM is running and you don't -- another trucker will to feed his family. Unions members would only buy union made products and shop at unionized stores, now most don't even care. Unions had a lot of power when they would stick together, but now union members stab each other in the back every day.

You'd be amazed how many union folks don't understand that, or think it's better to show solidarity and lose their jobs than to give in to the company.

Strike is always a possibility. I am not saying the UAW will or that it is even being talked about, contrary to what you think most realize strike now means death to GM and Chrysler. No one wants to not have a job, but lets be honest if it means we make WalMart wages then why would we not ? At that point job or no job the majority of workers would have to file bankruptcy anyway so what would it matter ?

Besides I would argue that the UAW has been "giving in to the company" since 2005 to keep the D3 viable, so why would we now stop negotiating in good faith ?

Edited by lquidspine

we lost our dodge dealer (munganast dodge) here last week and this is a good size suburb next to st louis..then today it was announced they were again a dodge dealer...what the hell?..so i walk into my yoda dealership for the free coffee and donuts (yoda dealers give ya free shit like that) thinking of maybe getting a new dodge ram...well i leave and low and behold i came on here and find the bastards in detroit wanna strike...ok thats well and good but i say just shut em all down...the idea of striking at this time is just plain stupid.....oh well...i can still get free donuts and coffee from the yoda guys....the logic out there at this time is truly amazing..simply amazing (yum..yoda donuts are fresh and good)

A threatened strike would erode any support from the public that is left.

I heard Obama say on TV....GM and Chrysler had better take this life line from the Bush administration seriously. He didn't sound too interested in modifying the terms. If I were the Union, I would not count on the Obama administration to be any easier to deal with than Bush and company. Even if they did support him sorta.

Edited by Ralph Greene

It makes the unions weaker -- if you do strike, all your jobs are gone.

no, it does not, it's a catch 22, if we or gm strike, then the COMPANY has to pay back the loans....

it actually makes two sides work more together, to not have a 'nuclear' option....

you can still strike, if need be.

AND did you catch this ? there is no strike language in the '07 contract....

SO ?

Edited by dark271

He's not the one threatening strike. Why should he volunteer to give up his job?

Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike.Nobody is threatening a strike. :ohsnap:

Edited by nvsked