Taurus SHO revealed

Wow............. what a great, positive thread. :)

Only a couple of price whiners................... that is a real surprise.

Go have some fun.............. head on over to GMI. There are two posts on the SHO, one in the Competition section, and one in the Ford section. Read all of the stupid comments over there. They are comparing the SHO with the G8. Please.

Thus, the comments are "OMG, these should be priced about $30K, not $38K................. I can buy a G8 GT for $32K, and it will blow this FWD thing away !!!!" When they are informed that the G8 GT will do no such thing, and doesn't have half of the equipment available, it goes to "Well, the G8 GXP is only a bit more than that FWD thing, has RWD................ and will blow that POS AWAY!!!!!!"

In other words, it is wonderful fun reading. Yeppers, every family person in the US, wants an Australian RWD sedan, with no AWD available, and hood scoops. What am I............... 12??? Hood scoops belong on muscle cars, not family cars. Geez. Plus, the interior on the SHO is real close to sex.................... (I will leave it at that).

BTW................. Damn you Ford. First, I was happy with the idea of getting a new V6 AWD Escape............ then you showed the new Fusion. Then, I was happy with the idea of getting a new AWD Fusion Sport.............. now you have shown the new SHO. AUGH. However, it is good news for you............. as each one is more expensive, and probably has more profit margin. So, I told the hubby that I will need a new SHO.............. loaded of course. The funny thing is, it will get better mileage than my '03 Tribute did.............. with 200hp.

Beautiful car, two thumbs, and two big toes, up !!!! :D

An Audi A8, for 10's of thousands less............... and better reliability. What is there not to like???

Edited by Extreme4x4

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember your garage also needs a fusion sport :stats:

I did say one of the entire lineup. Okay maybe not every car, but as others have pointed out, Ford's making it very difficult to decide which car to like best.

My favorite shot:

2010TaurusSHO.jpg

Ford press release photos have gotten so much better in the past year or so.

That is a good picture.

The 2010 Taurus Website has been updated with the SHO info....colors are listed...I'm torn between the Candy Apple Red and the Cinnamon Colors they are offering...Black interior or black with seude are the only color options for the interior....ugh

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the interior color either (lack of tan), but at least the brown suede is better than solid black. (I don't like black interiors).

just noticed the NEATEST design cue.....check out the small crease over the gas cap....fantastic.....and no ricer tail-lights...we got our way Nick....

Yeah, some people don't like that crease, I think I do though (I'd like to see it in person).

Yessir, I did. And look at the sales numbers.

Also to note is when it debuted (middle of economic implosion). Sales have gone up each month since then IIRC.

Meh... I despise black interiors. Up here in Sacramento area a black interior is suicide! I'll cross my fingers & wait for the light stone!

I'm with you on that one, but as I said above, the brown suede/black combo is better than solid black.

The last Ford vehicle I purchased was from Maroone in Ft. Lauderdale, so I can't say much about Tuttle-Click's sales department.

That's where my family buys our Fords (and where I got my Flex).

Even though a loaded SHO might end up topping a MKZ, the advantage for Ford is getting another Blue Oval out in the public eye.

Publicity is publicity, especially for the parent company. Lincoln won't be for the masses, it'll be for the informed.

:hyper: I volunteer to take a 2010 Taurus SHO, Mustang GT, ....[insert almost any other new/2010 Ford vehicle here]....and drive it around to "get them in the public eye." :shades:

For my own curiousity, here's the competition, as far as I can tell. Those bolded are the "close" competition, as far as I see it. But honestly, nothing really compares to the mix of features, size, interior quality, & power of the Taurus SHO.

Domestic only

Ford Taurus SHO - AWD - 365hp - $37,995

Ford Fusion Sport - AWD - 263hp - ~$28,000

Lincoln MKS - AWD - 273hp - $39,590

Lincoln MKZ - AWD - 263hp - $34,585 (2009)

Pontiac G8 GT - RWD - 361hp - $32,440

Pontiac G8 GXP - RWD - 415hp - $38,295

Chrysler 300C - AWD - 360hp - $38,875

Chrysler 300C RT8 - RWD - 425hp - $44,560

Dodge Charger R/T - AWD - 368hp - $33,960

Dodge Charger SRT8 - RWD - 425hp - $40,370

Cadillac CTS - AWD - 304hp - $40,465

Cadillac STS - AWD - 302hp - $48,705

Cadillac STS - AWD - 320hp - $69,400

2010 Buick Lacrosse - AWD - 280hp - ~$32,000

Foreign-branded, "common" makes only

Hyundai Genesis 4.6 - RWD - 368hp - $37,250

Toyota Avalon Limited - FWD - 268hp - $35,905

Nissan Maxima SV Sport - FWD - 290hp - $35,160

Volkswagen CC VR6 4Motion - AWD - 280hp - $39,800

Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited - AWD - 245hp - $29,895

Foreign-branded, "luxury" makes only

Acura TL SH-AWD - AWD - 305hp - $38,505

Audi A6 3.0 TFSI Quattro - AWD - 300hp - $50,100

Audi A6 4.2 FSI Quattro - AWD - 350hp - $60,950

Audi A4 3.2 FSI Quattro - AWD - 265hp - $40,400

BMW 335i xDrive - AWD - 300hp - $42,300

BMW 528i xDrive - AWD - 230hp - $48,100

BMW 535i xDrive - AWD - 300hp - $53,400

Infiniti G37x AWD - AWD - 328hp - $35,750

Infiniti M35x AWD - AWD - 303hp - $47,950

Infiniti M45x AWD - AWD - 325hp - $54,650

Lexus GS350 AWD - AWD - 303hp - $46,800

Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic - AWD - 228hp - $36,450

Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic - AWD - 268hp - $53,200

Saab 9-3 Aero - AWD - 280hp - $43,605

Volvo S60 2.5T AWD - AWD - 208hp - $34,600

Volvo S80 T6 AWD - AWD - 281hp - $42,050

Edited by waymondospiff

I just love the new Taurus in all trim levels, especially the SHO! I saw a silver SEL in person at the D.C. auto show and the car has as much, if not more, presence as the red MKS EcoBoost that was on display nearby. The only thing I didn't like was that they don't offer LED tail lights on any trim level. To me that just seems strange considering the Flex and Mustang both feature LED's. It's as if they looked at the MKS and said, "well it should at least have LED's that the Taurus doesn't have!" I will give Ford credit for the unique detailing in the tail lamp lenses on the Taurus. There is a sort of frosted appearance to the lens that I don't think I've seen ever before on another car.

Edited by hbalek

I really like what I see in the SHO (and many other Ford products for that matter). I will definitely have a SHO in the garage by year's end. I have a couple of questions to bounce off everyone.

First, what does everyone think about the ability to extract more power from this setup (ala GNX). I know turbo setups, especially twin turbo, can produce enormous amounts of power. What would be a "safe" amount from this motor? Or is the 365 stretching it. BTW, I have a 2006 F150 with a Roush SC tuned to about 380 RWHP, so I am obviously game to risk the warranty for some more go. :shades:

Second, how does the X-plan work on a vehicle such as this that may very well be highly sought after? Can the dealer refuse to honor the X-plan pin, or are they obligated to. (I am sure you can't use one on the GT500). I only ask because that's how I bought my truck, and I can't imagine purchasing another vehicle any other way. It makes the transaction smooth.

Thanks for any input.

Not available because every dealer here will sell its quota :P

I don't doubt that at all.

Was just poking fun at this new bill if passed, plus its not a bad marketing ploy for Ford, as they say in marketing "people always want what they can't have".

whats GMI? should go overthere and edumacate them on the GM may not be around by years end lol.

not funny but blah..

a AWD SHO should eat the regular GT..not sure of the GXP thou, havent seen any numbers on them.. plus Turbos are fun to mod, wonder if they are at limit of the 3.5 engine and tranny strength or what.. sure a few hundred bucks you could have the SHO around 400hp.

I really like what I see in the SHO (and many other Ford products for that matter). I will definitely have a SHO in the garage by year's end. I have a couple of questions to bounce off everyone.

First, what does everyone think about the ability to extract more power from this setup (ala GNX). I know turbo setups, especially twin turbo, can produce enormous amounts of power. What would be a "safe" amount from this motor? Or is the 365 stretching it. BTW, I have a 2006 F150 with a Roush SC tuned to about 380 RWHP, so I am obviously game to risk the warranty for some more go. :shades:

Second, how does the X-plan work on a vehicle such as this that may very well be highly sought after? Can the dealer refuse to honor the X-plan pin, or are they obligated to. (I am sure you can't use one on the GT500). I only ask because that's how I bought my truck, and I can't imagine purchasing another vehicle any other way. It makes the transaction smooth.

Thanks for any input.

Ford can make a vehicle ineligible for X plan (like the GT500) in which case the dealer doesn't have a choice. For all other vehicles it's totally up to the dealer whether they want to accept X plan on a vehicle or not. They're under no obligation to accept it on anything. You just need to ask the dealer up front before you talk prices.

As for more power, you're stuck with 365 unless you replace the transmission - that's the limiter right now.

Ford can make a vehicle ineligible for X plan (like the GT500) in which case the dealer doesn't have a choice. For all other vehicles it's totally up to the dealer whether they want to accept X plan on a vehicle or not. They're under no obligation to accept it on anything. You just need to ask the dealer up front before you talk prices.

As for more power, you're stuck with 365 unless you replace the transmission - that's the limiter right now.

In today's market, a dealer would have to be stupid not to accept X plan on any eligible vehicle. I'd walk away from any dealer who told me they wouldnt accept it.

As for the transmission, I doubt 365 is the absolute max it will handle. It's just the max it'll probably handle and still meet Ford's durability standards, which are usually far below that which it is actually capable of handling.

Edited by NickF1011

...the dealer has the right to refuse ANY transaction, and that includes honouring A X and Z plans....even if they ARE elegible

In today's market, a dealer would have to be stupid not to accept X plan on any eligible vehicle. I'd walk away from any dealer who told me they wouldnt accept it.

As for the transmission, I doubt 365 is the absolute max it will handle. It's just the max it'll probably handle and still meet Ford's durability standards, which are usually far below that which it is actually capable of handling.

course you would walk away....why not...check with other dealers of course...we were A planning Hybrids when others would not....reason being some dealers would not, pure and simple...profit...and availability

course you would walk away....why not...check with other dealers of course...we were A planning Hybrids when others would not....reason being some dealers would not, pure and simple...profit...and availability

unless a dealer is holding out for selling a car for huge markups it makes no sense to turn down a/z/x/d plan customers. the holdbacks make the deal super profitable.

Edited by blazerdude20

unless a dealer is holding out for selling a car for huge markups it makes no sense to turn down a/z/x/d plan customers. the holdbacks make the deal super profitable.

of course i don't need to tell you that

huge markups????? name one car that has those sans addendums.......in regards to cars that do not need to be discounted...the difference is about a grand, maybe 1200....and if people are lined up to buy a specific vehicle which avenue would you prefer?....business is business most of the time, and with limited allocation A plan etc are NOT given preferential treatment if demand is high...sad but true...if I only have two vehicles coming in and can EASILY retail them, why as a dealer would I lose $.....now once allocation or availabilty loosens up, no problem....and sorry, where the hell do you come up with holdbacks being a HUGE profit center??????? do you want to pay flooring of 2% of MSRP per month on EVERY vehicle you have on the lot/ yep...even those slow sellers....hey, your'e welcome to A plan on them....NO store could survive on holdback as their profit margin....

huge markups????? name one car that has those sans addendums.......in regards to cars that do not need to be discounted...the difference is about a grand, maybe 1200....and if people are lined up to buy a specific vehicle which avenue would you prefer?....business is business most of the time, and with limited allocation A plan etc are NOT given preferential treatment if demand is high...sad but true...if I only have two vehicles coming in and can EASILY retail them, why as a dealer would I lose $.....now once allocation or availabilty loosens up, no problem....and sorry, where the hell do you come up with holdbacks being a HUGE profit center??????? do you want to pay flooring of 2% of MSRP per month on EVERY vehicle you have on the lot/ yep...even those slow sellers....hey, your'e welcome to A plan on them....NO store could survive on holdback as their profit margin....

i agree about if demand is there. but right now there isnt demand for much of anything. so for dealer RIGHT NOW to just sit on vehicles instead of selling at plan prices it makes no sense.

also i didnt say holdbacks would be the whole profit for a store. the store would die. but it is better than getting worked over by a well informed customer that wont buy unless they can get it for a couple hundred over invoice. looking back at my post "super" was definitely the wrong word. i should have said its a good source of profit for stores at the moment when without that plan deal the car would just sit there on the lot.

edit: yes i was referring to the addendum for the dealer markups.

Edited by blazerdude20

i agree about if demand is there. but right now there isnt demand for much of anything. so for dealer RIGHT NOW to just sit on vehicles instead of selling at plan prices it makes no sense.

also i didnt say holdbacks would be the whole profit for a store. the store would die. but it is better than getting worked over by a well informed customer that wont buy unless they can get it for a couple hundred over invoice. looking back at my post "super" was definitely the wrong word. i should have said its a good source of profit for stores at the moment when without that plan deal the car would just sit there on the lot.

edit: yes i was referring to the addendum for the dealer markups.

actually, there is demand...problem is finding the vehicles people want, dealers have NOT been re-stocking inventory to curtail flooring costs....and the A plan question came up in regards to the SHO....simple answer, wont happen, at least initially, also wont happen on the Fusion Hybrid...anything else usually not an issue...but, right now selection is limited due to the afformentioned inventory issue...kinda humourous the mentality of dealerships business...bottom line is REAL simple...if a deal makes sense roll it....if it doesn't, or is not worth the aggravation ( ie, your informed customer that wants to steal a car, or do the store a "favor" :hysterical: ) then pass.....

actually, there is demand...problem is finding the vehicles people want, dealers have NOT been re-stocking inventory to curtail flooring costs....and the A plan question came up in regards to the SHO....simple answer, wont happen, at least initially, also wont happen on the Fusion Hybrid...anything else usually not an issue...but, right now selection is limited due to the afformentioned inventory issue...kinda humourous the mentality of dealerships business...bottom line is REAL simple...if a deal makes sense roll it....if it doesn't, or is not worth the aggravation ( ie, your informed customer that wants to steal a car, or do the store a "favor" :hysterical: ) then pass.....

yeah. i hope the demand for the sho and regular taurus makes it where you cant get one on a plan :shades:

yeah demand is wierd lately. no one is stocking up, and there are very few non work trucks out there at the moment.

okay, back to the SHO!

okay, back to the SHO!

Yessir. :shades:

That was a good post waymondospiff made earlier concerning the Taurus's possible competition.

Of the non-luxury marques, there really isn't any that compares, save for the 300C-Charger R/T and the Genesis 4.6.

Everything else is either too small or not powerful enough... which kills me when the Autoblog commenters say "you can get a 335i for that price." Sorry, but I prefer stretching space.

yeah. i hope the demand for the sho and regular taurus makes it where you cant get one on a plan :shades:

yeah demand is wierd lately. no one is stocking up, and there are very few non work trucks out there at the moment.

okay, back to the SHO!

on the Taurus, on the REGULAR Taurus it will depend on A) allocation and availability and B) difference in profit margin between retail and the A-plan money Ford re-imberses the dealer. On the subject of the SHO, I truley doubt supplies will be plentiful enough for dealers to justify selling at A-plan, at least initially...

on the Taurus, on the REGULAR Taurus it will depend on A) allocation and availability and B) difference in profit margin between retail and the A-plan money Ford re-imberses the dealer. On the subject of the SHO, I truley doubt supplies will be plentiful enough for dealers to justify selling at A-plan, at least initially...

Well wouldn't you be more likely to give A plan to someone to has ordered a car vs waiting around for someone off the street to buy the car? More or less an "easy" sale vs bickering with someone who is trying to jew you down on the cost of the car...wouldn't rather just sell the car to someone A plan with out all the fuss that your regular customer would give you...Easy Money?