Camaro V6 Rated 29 MPG Highway!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont beleive or put much into these epa ratings, for a baseline ya.. but thats it.. they say my 3.0 Fusion SEL FWD should get 26mpg highway... when, well after 3 years and 54k it gets 29mpg at 70mph .. go figure..

Probably the way they test the cars:

How the EPA tests fuel economy

LINK

Edited by jpd80

i dont beleive or put much into these epa ratings, for a baseline ya.. but thats it.. they say my 3.0 Fusion SEL FWD should get 26mpg highway... when, well after 3 years and 54k it gets 29mpg at 70mph .. go figure..

Exactly. EPA ratings aren't necessarily meant to be real world. They are primarily for comparative purposes.

i've been saying for months ford needs eco boost in the stang and across all model lines where applicable..right now camero is kicking mustangs ass and ford needs to get off there ass and get eco boost at least as an option...if i was concerned with MPG i would seriously look at the v6 camero over the mustang...thankfully i am not but many would be buyers are

Sup,

The Camaro is not kicking the Mustangs ass. Last I heard it had a estimated 0-60 of 4.7 seconds, the mustang I have seen as low as 5.0 even some 4.9's. How is this kicking the Mustangs ass?. As for the comment about the SRA being crude, that is not really true. The condition you are talking about is called bump steer. This mostly eliminated with a pan hard bar, and almost completely eliminated with a watts link.

Straight rear axles do what people who buy Mustangs want them too do. I have never heard of someone buying a Mustang and then complaining about how it does not have world class handling. IRS's are okay, buy they are heavier, more expensive, are lackluster at a dead stop launch, fail more frequently, I could go on. That being said, the ride is nicer in a IRS for sure, that I agree with. What you seem to want is a sports car, the Mustang is a Muscle car. It may not have the cornering finesse of say a Mazda Miata, but it is the kind of car that will piss in the Miata's gas tank when it passes it on the straightaways.

The Mustang is fine for now. If the 5.0 comes out in 2011, great I will be the first to buy one. As for the 3.5l EcoBoost, I don't know. It seems very Un-Mustangy to me. I am not a turbo fan, I can do a Super charger, but even then it feels better to have NA power, and a lot less to go wrong.

I ordered a new SHO, which will be my second turbo vehicle I just hope it is better than my first experience. If the SHO is great, I will change my mind about the Mustang with a turbo 3.5l, but not before.

Skape

Bump steer is NOT related to a solid rear axle. It's a condition related to the front suspension:

"Bump steer is the toe-in or toe-out of the front wheels as the suspension goes from normal ride height through full bump (suspension system moves up) to full droop (suspension system moves down). "

Jeez, get it right people!!

Edited by fxcomet

IRS's are okay, buy they are heavier, more expensive, are lackluster at a dead stop launch, fail more frequently, I could go on. That being said, the ride is nicer in a IRS for sure, that I agree with. What you seem to want is a sports car, the Mustang is a Muscle car. It may not have the cornering finesse of say a Mazda Miata, but it is the kind of car that will piss in the Miata's gas tank when it passes it on the straightaways.

Scape,

The Falcon's Control Blade IRS is almost the same weight as an SRA but unlike most other IRS rear ends

you've probably driven, handling/road holding can be tuned separately to ride quality.

A well tuned SRA is also a joy to drive, the 3-Link system is OK but there is a better SRA rear end and perhaps a good Watts link rear end is all that's needed so that the roll center becomes tunable.

I'm pretty sure Ford constantly weighs feed back from Mustang owners on the suitability of the SRA,

perhaps an IRS option will be available in a future model but for now the SRA will do fine.:)

PS,

the condition you described as "Bump Steer" is actually more like "Roll Steer".

Edited by jpd80

Say what you will but Im impressed with 29mpg on the camaro. Good job GM. Ford cant get the 3.5/5.0 out fast enough. I like the camaro but have had nightmares with the interior. Somebody was on crack when they designed that. Good God its terrible.

How about a v6 Maro for a daily driver to beat on? Its crossed my mind. As much as Ford has done of late they lag behind badly in this segment. The 4.0 is a boat anchor and everybody knows it. Its deadly reliable but man its way past its time in a car like the Mustang.

F Body Father Scott Settlemier has also has some bad things to say about the stang in general. They have the upper hand for the moment and I expect Mustang sales to tank this year due to the economy and the new high hp competition but we will be back. F bod Father is not heard the last from me if Ford can come through. Im sick of his arrogance and when the day comes Im going to throw it back in his face. The camaro to me is already 3 years old to me. How long it will last is anybodies guess. Get them while there hot and pay market adjustments. :hysterical:

Let me just add this. Any asshats with a 306hp camaro that think they can take my 305 hp stand can line up at will. Im going to blow the doors off of any fool that tries and make them like it. You cant post this on the

Gm forums but I will here. Im sitting on ready for the idiots. The LS3 is another story and at least I can ackowledge that. Im realistic. Bring those v6 Maros on boys. :hysterical:

Edited by chevys