2012 Ford Explorer

During the week day, you can drive west on Village Road from Oakwood Blvd to Rotunda Drive, which is right through the Ford Engineering Campus. There are never any guards during the day. You typically will not see anything "interesting".

Last time I was "on campus" was 1973 when I was a summer engineering "go-fer." I had regular access to the test track too in those days. Now I just drive by when I'm in Dearborn visiting family.

Not sure I'm feeling this particular model. But, I'm sure with mirrors and a full paint job it will look better. I just don't think I like the overall shape. I see too much Taurus X/Freestyle in that inset rear window kink.

I am really disappointed about that kink as well. When we kept seeing the mules, everyone kept saying, "it just a mule, a Franken-Freestyle, it won't look like that." But I see Freestyle/Taurus X in this. Not that they were bad cars, but their styling didn't set the world on fire.

I'll admit though, I'd probably like it better if it was called something other that Explorer.

Well it's a conservative design in general, but we haven't seen the rear just yet. I think the black out portion is what really dulls the vehicle. And lets remember, in various trims, that frontal area will improve. Whether it's Eddie Bauer, Limited, XLT, I'm sure the treatment will be different. Ford can't be too radical on this design, they have the Flex to take that on. This is a Honda Pilot competitor and it has to be somewhat conservative for the masses. I won't judge it too harshly till everything is uncovered and all the pieces fall in place. It does have sort of a Land Rover look to the fender/hood area, and even the grill to a point. The chin spoiler has a touch of Fiesta, Euro flare to it. I'm interested in seeing the rear and I hope Ford keeps the liftgate, where the rear glass can be lifted, separate from the liftgate.

IMHO, it's excellent! It's been really carefully worked-over; all the "lines" tie into harmony, and it cues radically differently than the Edge, which looks more like a wagon.

So, the market is nicely covered with the Kuga/Escape from small to large.

As a graphic designer, I don't like the "Remington Micro Screen" grille, on it or the SHO for that matter. If I owned one, I'd try Bentley grille mesh, or somesuch.

[ford-edgesport-2011-400x265.jpg

It's nice and all...but I can't help but wish that Ford had pushed the envelope a little further. The only part I don't really care for are the headlights, which are just too bland. The Explorer America concept was truly a bold vehicle.

Yawn! I showed everyone most of this months ago....

explorerrevealed4-1.jpg

after starting with this picture:

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg2.jpg

------

I do like it, and let's wait until we see the detail work before reaching conclusions. If you looked at the picture zoomed in on the headlight (which would also support RJ's staged theory), you can see there's no final parts in there except the projector bulb - there's unfinished brackets and stuff clearly visible, despite the dark tint to the headlights.

...Ford can't be too radical on this design, they have the Flex to take that on....

imho the Flex has gone from radical to "merely" distinctive by now

& even tho we knew the production version wouldn't look like the concept,

I was hoping for something as "finely detailed" as the Taurus...

...This is a Honda Pilot competitor and it has to be somewhat conservative for the masses.

mostly disagree

to twist your words/meaning a bit - why build ANOTHER Pilot?

&

while not quite reserving judgement, I'm hoping the full monty photos show a SHAPE that's more intriguing - in addition to the still hidden rear, none of Autoblog's photos give the angle I want on the windshield - which in some more-camo'ed shots looked very sleek: steeply raked and a bit rounded (like from overhead)

Overall, I'll wait. I don't like the Freestyle/Taurus X pillar I was hoping for a vertical angle. But I didn't like the cut out inner grill on the 2011 Edge either and I am able to ignore it after seeing the whole package. As for the Honda Pilot, I don't mind it and seeing it in person, I appreciate it more. It's like seeing the MKT for real as well. So, when is it been shown?

RMC, I like the overall look, but the inverse crease in the center of the hood is not working for me....something along the lines of the 2010 Milan front end styling, in my opinion, would work a lot better and tie in the division look much nicer.....

Edited by twintornados

I wonder if the third row is standard or optional. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the third row in the current Explorer isn't standard. If I were to buy one, I'd only want two rows and save the rear space specifically for cargo.

It depends on which model you decide on. If you get the XLT, the third row is an option. If you go Eddie Bauer a manual third row is standard and if you go Limited a power third row is standard. For me I went with the Eddie Bauer because I wanted the V8 engine and that and the Limited are the only two version that the 8 cylinder comes in. So I got the third row, but what I do is keep it folded down, so it looks like I got no third row.

Also if you want rear air then you will automatically get the third row seats. I like the rear air, so I had to get the third row. Also remembering back to the pictures, they remind me more of a BMW X5. It also kind of looks like an Edge, just a bit more squarer.

I'm really going to hold off until the full unveiling and then go from there.

I'd like to see a finished production front end before I'd say I like it. I didn't like some of the early Edge designs for the MCE. But now that it is out, I like it. Especially the Sport version.

The one thing I don't like is the pillar behind the rear door. RMC's version was more upright. This recent picture looks too much like the Freestyle/Taurus X to me. Makes me wonder if they even changed it. I liked that rear side area much better under the Explorer America Concept. I just think the side view from front door all the way back to the rear tail lights was a much cleaner look on the EA concept than what I'm seeing here. Not that this is terrible. I think it's just too bland. But on the other hand, I think I would have to see the rear section too to have a final verdict. Sometimes how the rear meshes to the sides can make a difference.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Ford-Explorer_America_Concept_2008_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

RMC, I like the overall look, but the inverse crease in the center of the hood is not working for me....something along the lines of the 2010 Milan front end styling, in my opinion, would work a lot better and tie in the division look much nicer.....

Yeah, I did this back when we only had spy shots of the Milan, and I thought the center of the Milan's grille had a crease, but I never got around to changing it.

Also if you want rear air then you will automatically get the third row seats. I like the rear air, so I had to get the third row. Also remembering back to the pictures, they remind me more of a BMW X5. It also kind of looks like an Edge, just a bit more squarer.

My dad said the same thing when he saw pictures - especially with the crease on the side.

<Ahem>.... RMC?

LOL - I don't have photoshop, so any attempt (key word) to "paint" it would be bad and wouldn't look good - this would be a job for someone like timmm.

Had some free time at work this morning to clean up one of the pictures in PS.

Painted the front bumper and A-pillar. Add some Edge wheels to give some depth to the wheels/tires. Added a side mirror from the Edge. Continued the silver body moulding onto the back door. Removed watermark over the doors. Removed various testing stickers and whatnot.

Mind you, I'm no pro, so this is just to give a little more realism to what the truck may look like when Job 1 rolls around.

If I get a chance later I'll build a rear end for it.

post-6726-12696216621864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Intrepidatious