Is it time to drop the Mark? (MkZ, MkX, MkS, MkT)

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to rebrand Lincoln models?

• Yes
    • Mk_No!

With Mercury going away, and Lincoln on the verge of reinventing itself, again, is it time to rethink the MkBranding?

I've been a supporter of the MkBranding to some extent, I don't think it's as confusing in it's current form as people make it out to be. However, as Lincoln expands it's lineup it will get to be more confusing if you ask me. Further, if there is to be a new direction going back to names may be the way to do it. A GWRD Continental may get people to take notice.

What do you think? Time to go back to names?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never liked the MKcrap.

Like a lame attempt to copy the Germans...except even clueless Buffy knows the higher the numbers the bigger the check daddy has to write to buy her one...At least a 6-series!

Well if they are going to stick with the MK_ then they should show respect to the Ford they all came from, the MKT(aurus), MKF(usion) MKE(dge) etc...

Eh, I don't know which way to go - I certainly understand the idea behind it (to get people to say "I have a Lincoln" rather than "I have a Zephyr"), but I agree with you in saying that as the lineup expands, it'll become more confusing for the customer.

I think they need to make some change to their naming system. I really think the current naming system is very weak. It would be OK if Lincoln only had a handful of vehicles, but as they expand, we need something to make sense of it all. I was thinking the other day about this and will throw out a couple ideas of my own and rehash some I've read on the board ( I don't recall whom said what though).

Lincoln could simply add a number behind the MK portion to give the vehicles a little further meaning.

So in this case the compact Lincolns would then be an MK-4 (I've copied Audi, but you can come up with anything here. Midsize would then be an MK-6 and Large an MK-8). You can also throw in an X for a crossover. So for instance the midsize MKX would now be an MK-6X. The full size MKS would now become an MK-8. The MKT would become the MK-8X. The MKZ would become an MK-6. Coupes could be labled something like an MK-4C for a compact coupe. You could add something like an R or E (for Ecoboost) on the end for the top engine choices. So the MKS eco would now become the MK-8E.

Someone had the idea to keep the top sedan and top SUV with a name. So as discussed Lincoln could release a new Continental, and then could keep the Navigator as the Halo vehicles with regular names. I wouldn't mind a few more name, but it needs to be reserved for special vehicles.

I guess another naming scheme would be to replace the MK with Mark. It doesn't sound like "Em Kay", and would sound more American. So the the MKX, could then be the Mark X (or better yet the Mark 6X if you used the above scenarios.) It's not bad, and better than the current scheme which makes absolutly no sense to me. Rant--what does the T stand for in MKT. What does the S stand for in MKS? What would you name these two vehicles - The C concept, and a new coupe or convertable compact. Both MKC's?

Lincoln use to have some models such as the K named Lincoln model K. Another idea would be to change th MK to Model.

Throw out the ideas. Maybe someone from Ford or Lincioln will get some ideas.

I think they need to make some change to their naming system. I really think the current naming system is very weak. It would be OK if Lincoln only had a handful of vehicles, but as they expand, we need something to make sense of it all. I was thinking the other day about this and will throw out a couple ideas of my own and rehash some I've read on the board ( I don't recall whom said what though).

Lincoln could simply add a number behind the MK portion to give the vehicles a little further meaning.

So in this case the compact Lincolns would then be an MK-4 (I've copied Audi, but you can come up with anything here. Midsize would then be an MK-6 and Large an MK-8). You can also throw in an X for a crossover. So for instance the midsize MKX would now be an MK-6X. The full size MKS would now become an MK-8. The MKT would become the MK-8X. The MKZ would become an MK-6. Coupes could be labled something like an MK-4C for a compact coupe. You could add something like an R or E (for Ecoboost) on the end for the top engine choices. So the MKS eco would now become the MK-8E.

Someone had the idea to keep the top sedan and top SUV with a name. So as discussed Lincoln could release a new Continental, and then could keep the Navigator as the Halo vehicles with regular names. I wouldn't mind a few more name, but it needs to be reserved for special vehicles.

I guess another naming scheme would be to replace the MK with Mark. It doesn't sound like "Em Kay", and would sound more American. So the the MKX, could then be the Mark X (or better yet the Mark 6X if you used the above scenarios.) It's not bad, and better than the current scheme which makes absolutly no sense to me. Rant--what does the T stand for in MKT. What does the S stand for in MKS? What would you name these two vehicles - The C concept, and a new coupe or convertable compact. Both MKC's?

Lincoln use to have some models such as the K named Lincoln model K. Another idea would be to change th MK to Model.

While I'd prefer names, this isn't a bad idea. Although instead of having alphabet soup with a name like MK-6X (doesn't roll off the tongue), just call the crossovers MX6, MX8, etc, while cars stay MK6, MK8. Or maybe LX6, LX8, etc. to signify "Lincoln Crossover" while MK still ties in with the classic Mark name on cars.

Personally though, I would like to see Zephyr, Continental, and Aviator come back....along with the introduction of a Sentinel. All those names convey power that a jumble of alphanumerics will never achieve.

Chester, here you have some logic and reasoning to changing the current system. I am on the fence on whether to get rid of it or not (RMC, I with you on that one). The reason is I feel Lincoln was going in a direction for customers to say "I drive a Lincoln." With the Euro system, you can understand class, displacement and trim level. Old school Lincoln wants classic names, here lies the rub. Current Lincoln is forced to explain the name system, like I need that while I'm in the showroom. Sharing body panels blatantly with it's platform siblings doesn't aid Lincolns case.

I can't decide in the end, that's all I'm saying.

While I'd prefer names, this isn't a bad idea. Although instead of having alphabet soup with a name like MK-6X (doesn't roll off the tongue), just call the crossovers MX6, MX8, etc, while cars stay MK6, MK8. Or maybe LX6, LX8, etc. to signify "Lincoln Crossover" while MK still ties in with the classic Mark name on cars.

I bet someone has the rights to all those names. I'm pretty sure Mazda still has the rights to MX6, even though it hasn't been built in over a decade.

I like the thought you put into that, Chester icon14.gif

but

think they'd better stick with the MucK labels

for now

for the F-Awd vehicles ONLY

Never liked the MKcrap.

Like a lame attempt to copy the Germans...except even clueless Buffy knows the higher the numbers the bigger the check daddy has to write to buy her one...At least a 6-series!

Well if they are going to stick with the MK_ then they should show respect to the Ford they all came from, the MKT(aurus), MKF(usion) MKE(dge) etc...

your T F & E are interesting too, F250 :)

---------------

If Lincoln gets GRwdP vehicles,

in addition to C O N T I N E N T A L

I suggest

Constellation & Zodiac

(tho I'm not quite sure what kind of vehicles they'd suit)

I suggest

Constellation & Zodiac

This is my concern the other way though - names can be just as tricky as the MkBranding. The Caddy boys always seem to be longing for Deville, Seville, etc. Those names suck. Continental seems logical, but I'm not sure what else.

The MK names should have been stillborn. They are a "hard" sounding, confusing mess. Such a naming convention might make sense to enthusiasts or long time fans, but those are not the people who Lincoln needs to sell cars to. The general public really does not grasp this scheme, even some current Lincoln owners cannot get it straight. Someone I know has a MKX, and both him and his wife just call it the Lincoln or the "Mark something or other".

Quit trying to be psuedoeuropean, give the cars real names. If you must use letter designations, at least be aware of your roots (OK, who remembers the KB Lincolns?).

Usually how people will explain the Lincoln they saw is, "oh that big thing" (MKS) or "that thing that is twins to the Edge" (MkX). And you can tell they get frustrated when I have to explain, is it the rounded thingy Edge, or is it the Big Scion coffin carrying thing the MKT? Then it becomes "did it have 2 rows, or 3 rows?" Just horrible.Then if they speak spanish, then the MKS becomes "Markus" and MKX is "Marquess".... If they are keeping this to go worldwide, I dont have an issue with it, but the Mark BS is getting stale.

I suggest

Constellation & Zodiac

Continental seems logical, but I'm not sure what else.

same here

I was thinking Constellation sounds nice with Continental

&

if they keep the MKZ & use its name instead of initial; Zephyr matches well imho with Zodiac

The MucK names should have been stillborn...

fixed ^ & yeahBut

imho switching would be worse until a "natural turning point" - - like the GRwdP

...I would like to see a return to names or a mix of names like Continental and true Mark names like Mark R, etc.

imho MARK can't be effectively used for a while

& other than Continental, IMHO the only good names are Navigator and Aviator...

dont' believe Aviator could be re-used while its MKX descendant's alive

I think if Lincoln is expanding, any "new" Lincolns should use a different naming scheme and not dig up the old ones. About the only old one I think has any cred is the Continental name. Even then I'm not sure.

Leave the current MK names until the model gets a total platform overhaul. Then decide if the new model needs a different name.

Aviator I can live with. But I don't think Constellation names cut it either. Ford just needs good names that fit the model. Following "themes" is just lame to me.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't have a problem with MK1, MK3, for the car lineups.

I don't get the confusion. Lincoln makes a MarK X, Z, T and S.

There, now..... is that so difficult?

fact is the designations are all completely forgettable...lincoln should have REAL names not designations....how can one turn their back on classics such as Continental etc....

Eh, I don't know which way to go - I certainly understand the idea behind it (to get people to say "I have a Lincoln" rather than "I have a Zephyr"), but I agree with you in saying that as the lineup expands, it'll become more confusing for the customer.

I'm an old guy. I prefer real names over letters and numbers. Much easier to remember also as you age. I prefer the name Zephyr over MKZ. I say bring Milan and/or Sable name back and give it to Lincoln. Those two names certainly convey luxury and class. They don't convey cheapness, that is for sure.