2011 F-150 engine Options

According to the latest issue of My Ford magazine the 2011 F-150 will have a whole new engine line up including the 3.7L V6, an EcoBoost engine, the 5.0L V8 and the 6.2L V8. The 6.2 will no longer be a Raptor only option. It's interesting that they did not specify the displacement of the EB although everyone has assumed that it would be the 3.5L. Maybe not...

• Like 1

According to the latest issue of My Ford magazine the 2011 F-150 will have a whole new engine line up including the 3.7L V6, an EcoBoost engine, the 5.0L V8 and the 6.2L V8. The 6.2 will no longer be a Raptor only option. It's interesting that they did not specify the displacement of the EB although everyone has assumed that it would be the 3.5L. Maybe not...

The engine family seems a little too close to each other. The 5.0 will have to be severely detuned to fit in.

Lets say the 3.5L EB produces 400hp/400ft-lb

The 6.2L possibly 430/400?

What happens to the 5.0? 380/375?

Or do you expect huge numbers like 390hp for the 5.0, 430hp 3.5L EB, 450hp-6.2L

Edited by Hydro

The engine family seems a little too close to each other. The 5.0 will have to be severely detuned to fit in.

Not sure, but I expect the 5.0L to be the most popular engine option out of that choice.

I think your over thinking this...the 6.2L will only be on high end models.

The 5L V8 will be the bread and butter engine along with the 3.7L V6 in the low end trucks

The Ecoboost engine will be similar to the 6.2L to a point, only on higher end model trucks for people who want better MPG out of them.

Any idea when we will get word on final outputs? I thought 2011's were right around the corner...

My best guess for outputs are in line with jasonj80.

I'm very interested in how they will differentiate them. It may sound easy like mpg vs displacement, but this market is output-number happy in my experience.

Edited by MERKURXR4Ti

My guesses

3.7 ~ 290/275

5.0 ~ 360/360 FFV

6.2 - 410/440

3.5eco 400/400

I still remember when Ford stated that Ecoboost would be about a $700 option. It appears based off the Ecoboost Flex, SHO, and MKS that it's really about a $7,000 option. Looks like ditto with F-150 as it will only be offered on premium models. I hope Ford isn't doing the same with the Ecoboost I4, but it appears it is. $30,000 Focus RS and Fiesta RS only plus some Fusion Sport Coupe that starts at $30,000 plus. Ditto with Edge. On well...too good to be true. Ecoboost will end up costing more than a Fusion Hybrid.

I still remember when Ford stated that Ecoboost would be about a $700 option. It appears based off the Ecoboost Flex, SHO, and MKS that it's really about a $7,000 option. Looks like ditto with F-150 as it will only be offered on premium models. I hope Ford isn't doing the same with the Ecoboost I4, but it appears it is. $30,000 Focus RS and Fiesta RS only plus some Fusion Sport Coupe that starts at $30,000 plus. Ditto with Edge. On well...too good to be true. Ecoboost will end up costing more than a Fusion Hybrid.

gah it is NOT a $7000 option! for fucks sakes man. compare the prices of an even optioned sho and taurus limited awd. IT'S LESS THEN $1000 DIFFERENCE!

so sick of people making this statement... let me guess you think all fiestas are 23k also? :confused::finger:

Edited by blazerdude20

gah it is NOT a $7000 option! for fucks sakes man. compare the prices of an even optioned sho and taurus limited awd. IT'S LESS THEN $1000 DIFFERENCE!

so sick of people making this statement... let me guess you think all fiestas are 23k also? :confused::finger:

Come on, Blazer Dude. Don't you know it's easier to use hyperbole, whining and falsehoods than it is to form a cogent argument? It's FordBuyer in every damn post. Whine, whine, whine...Ford sucks, Ford lies, boohoohoo I can't buy an Ecoboost. :blah:

Keep in mind how Ford laid out the engines for the new Explorer. Fairly similar in terms of power, but the Ecoboost is a premium option that gets you more mpg. I'm guessing the 3.5EB will be a little down on power compared to the 5.0L, but will get a significant bump in mpg, and it will cost more.

my guesses:

3.7L = ~300hp

3.5EB = 375hp, but similar fuel economy to the 3.7

5.0L= 390hp

6.2L = 420hp

Whoa whoa whoa! Hold it right there, what's that about a Fusion Sport Coupe??? That's the first I've heard of that, can you point me towards the rumours? I mean, I've seen renderings for years and I've always liked the idea, but I haven't heard any notion that Ford was considering that at all.

Whoa whoa whoa! Hold it right there, what's that about a Fusion Sport Coupe??? That's the first I've heard of that, can you point me towards the rumours? I mean, I've seen renderings for years and I've always liked the idea, but I haven't heard any notion that Ford was considering that at all.

They weren't. Fordbuyer is delusional.

I think your over thinking this...the 6.2L will only be on high end models.

The 5L V8 will be the bread and butter engine along with the 3.7L V6 in the low end trucks

The Ecoboost engine will be similar to the 6.2L to a point, only on higher end model trucks for people who want better MPG out of them.

Yes, I remember reading that the 6.2 will probably only be available in models like the Raptor (already is), Platinum, and Harley-Davidson F-150s.

Come on, Blazer Dude. Don't you know it's easier to use hyperbole, whining and falsehoods than it is to form a cogent argument? It's FordBuyer in every damn post. Whine, whine, whine...Ford sucks, Ford lies, boohoohoo I can't buy an Ecoboost. :blah:

Blah, blah, blah....it will be interesting to see how much more an Ecoboost Edge and Explorer costs over the standard Edge and Explorer with the 3.5V6. Might as well wait for hybrid version of the Edge if there is one because it will be cheaper. The Fusion supposedly will get Ecoboost, and I bet the price will be higher than $28,000 Fusion hybrid. Again, I didn't get the impression when Ford introduced Ecoboost at the Detroit Auto Show that it would be reserved for premium models only and prices are way in excess of $30,000. To meet the new CAFE rules, Ford is going to have to sell a lot of Ecoboost models, and they aren't going to make it selling Ecoboost on premium priced vehicles only. Hopefully Ford will tone down the price when it hits the smaller vehicles, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Blah, blah, blah....it will be interesting to see how much more an Ecoboost Edge and Explorer costs over the standard Edge and Explorer with the 3.5V6. Might as well wait for hybrid version of the Edge if there is one because it will be cheaper. The Fusion supposedly will get Ecoboost, and I bet the price will be higher than $28,000 Fusion hybrid. Again, I didn't get the impression when Ford introduced Ecoboost at the Detroit Auto Show that it would be reserved for premium models only and prices are way in excess of $30,000. To meet the new CAFE rules, Ford is going to have to sell a lot of Ecoboost models, and they aren't going to make it selling Ecoboost on premium priced vehicles only. Hopefully Ford will tone down the price when it hits the smaller vehicles, but it doesn't look like it to me.

As you continue to whine and bitch about everything that Ford does, I have come to a conclusion. You really don't get it, do you??

Turbo charged smaller engines, replacing naturally aspirated larger engines, is a pretty new thing. As a manufacturer, you want to get the product out there, and get the buying public used to the idea............. because, as YOU said, Ford has CAFE to think about. So, what do you do??

You put the engine out as a premium offering. Remember that perception is everything, and has very little to do with reality. People begin to accept the engine as a premium offering with better fuel economy. You get to get millions upon millions of additional testing miles, while the engine is in the field.............. and the engines prove themselves to the buying public, as being reliable. Then, as the buyers get used to the idea, and accept the engines and technology as mainstream, you begin to make the engine more and more mainstream.

At some point, instead of every discussion of the Ecoboost turning into 30% accepting, and 70% worrying about reliability issues, due to turbos from 20 years ago, the percentages turn. Now your Ecoboost can be your mainstream engine, because the vast majority of the buying public accept is as the norm, with the same or very similar reliability to every NA engine out there. Plus, Ford gets their R&D paid off faster, by being in highly profitable vehicles.

Why did 6-speeds start in higher dollar vehicles.............. and now 8-speeds?? Why do most new technologies start in higher end vehicles??

You think Ford is dumb................ but they are not so dumb.

BTW, 6.2 confirmed in the Harley. Same hp/tq as the Raptor. Pickuptruck.com Harley News

Edited by Extreme4x4
  • Like 2

Here are my guesses as far as power and availability

3.7L (305hp, 280lb-ft) - XL, STX, XLT

5.0L (370hp, 380lb-ft) - XL, STX, XLT, FX4, Lariat, KR, Platinum

6.2L (411hp, 434lb-ft) - Platinum, Raptor, HD

3.5L EB (400hp, 400lb-ft) - XLT, Lariat, KR, Platinum

I'm taking a different tack on the EB. I think it will come in with hp less than the 5.0 - ~340, but with more peak torque and a much broader powerband. I think it may use a smaller turbo than the SHO/MKS/Flex to reduce lag even more than the other applications. I hope I am wrong though.