Ford November Sales up 24%

The Taurus might not have stellar numbers, but it's almost double the Avalon at 4172 vs 2186. Which other cars compete in that segment? I guess the Accord has gotten pretty big, but traditionally its more of a mid-sizer. Is the Impala in that segment?

Unless we're discussing the "also-ran whored out fleet queen" segment, then no. :shades:

What is the difference between D3 and D4 and why are Flex and MKT moving to D3 for the MCE. Why not just wait till 2nd generation and the switch to EUCD. Why will Explorer and MKExplorer stay on D4. Sorry for all the questions just curious.

D4 is D3 "bulked up" into a heavier crossover package. I infer from the moves that Ford is trying to further differentiate the feel and driving dynamics of Flex from Explorer and MKT from Linkplorer.

The MKT is going to be turned into a livery queen replacing the Town Car. So it will stick around selling like the Town Car does now or a little worse. Watch what you say about the Flex...you are about to be flamed for talking blasphemy against that vehicle. It will be interesting to see Flex sales when the new Explorer starts selling in numbers. Very interesting. Ford will probably keep it around for a couple more years with no advertising and just let it die a slow, silent death like they have with so many other vehicles. Ford will do what it takes to keep the Explorer current, but the Flex is not worth the development bucks. Never will get past approval committee.

Well, it's never had any advertising to speak of since it's one debut commercial. That isn't exactly helping sales - people won't buy something that they don't know exists. I've said several times, I think in a way Explorer could actually help Flex sales someone (a customer comes in to see Explorer, but sees Flex for the first time and likes it better).

Nope. Flex and MKT have an upcoming MCE, and the 2nd gen is in the works. The MCE'd models are leaving the D4 platform back onto D3 (per Wescoent) and the next-gen will migrate onto the stretched EUCD (a la next Taurus). Explorer and Lincoln-Explorer variant [not confirmed but in development] will continue on D4.

So, the new EUCD platform:

-(SWB) Fusion/Modeo/MKZ and Edge/MKX

-(LWB) Taurus/MKS/Flex/MKT

-Galaxy (?)

Interesting regarding the platforms - I wonder why they'd shift back......logic says D4 is "better" than D3, but since I guess nobody can really point out differences, it doesn't matter much LOL.

Flex has a MCE coming up pretty soon, be interesting to see what direction they go with it.

I do this with it:

2012Flex13.jpg

Changes on the front include:

-flush front bumper (no visible bumper)

-redesigned grill inspired by 2011 Edge

-removal of Ford emblem, with FLEX written on hood like 2011 Titanium models

-new headlight design, with LED turn signals

-foglamps replaced by LED lighting strips (function as running lights, both day and night)

-new wheels

2012Flex2.jpg

Changes out back are more minimal, and include:

-redesigned taillights (including LED reverse lights and LED amber turn signals)

-FLEX written across top of liftgate panel, LIMITED (and SEL/Titanium) label moved to lower left corner of panel, EB/AWD badges remain in the lower right corner

-color-coded reverse sensors

-redesigned bumper that accomodates new rectangular exhaust outlets (goes better with Flex's horizontal theme)

Edited by rmc523

Don't forget the poor MKT numbers and Taurus and Navigator numbers on thin side also. Expeditions sales were strong. Maybe Ford is throwing money on hood, I don't know. Crown Vic sales were strong and looks like Mercury inventory is dwindling but still decent numbers. Fiesta sales need to improve. Focus with big money on hood is probably hurting Fiesta sales. $20,000 Focuses going for $13,000 is probably hurting Fiesta sales.

Wait. Taurus numbers are "thin" at 4172, but the Expedition and Crown Vic were "strong" at 3315 and 2777, respectively? :headscratch: Your logic continues to escape me.

As for the Fiesta, I think you answered your own question. Besides, overall B-segment volumes really aren't that high to begin with. The only models that sell significantly better are also significantly cheaper.

Edge 10,025

One of those was me. :hyper:

Edited by NickF1011

Very glad to see the Ford Edge doing so well. I know it's doing well when I found myself in an accidental caravan of 4 2011 Edges and MKXs driving through Downtown Rochester this evening :). At work there are now three 2011 Lincoln MKXs just like mine! I wonder if they are having as many headaches with MyLincoln/Ford Touch as I ;)

The MKZ is doing so well because they are GIVING them away, amazing deals to be had on them! I think they are trying to keep the Mercury folks from leaving. I know somebody at work just traded her Sable lease for an MKZ.

If the MKT and Flex make them money and customers happy, than be my guest and continue selling them. But I agree, the MKT needs an awful lot of work and an MCE just won't fix its body problems. The MKT and Navigator are two Lincoln's I would never consider buying because they look so darn hideous, just design awfulness to it's extreme form.

The MKZ is doing so well because they are GIVING them away, amazing deals to be had on them! I think they are trying to keep the Mercury folks from leaving. I know somebody at work just traded her Sable lease for an MKZ.

$3,000 on the hood if financed thru Ford, OR $1,000 on the hood and special APR (3.9% for 60mos).

Or 27mo lease for $303 a month here.

Doesn't exactly sound like "giving them away."

Very glad to see the Ford Edge doing so well. I know it's doing well when I found myself in an accidental caravan of 4 2011 Edges and MKXs driving through Downtown Rochester this evening :). At work there are now three 2011 Lincoln MKXs just like mine! I wonder if they are having as many headaches with MyLincoln/Ford Touch as I ;)

If the MKT and Flex make them money and customers happy, than be my guest and continue selling them. But I agree, the MKT needs an awful lot of work and an MCE just won't fix its body problems. The MKT and Navigator are two Lincoln's I would never consider buying because they look so darn hideous, just design awfulness to it's extreme form.

Ford has a new lease deal on MKS this month around here. $0 down and $399/month on 3.7 V6 MKS. I would call that giving away a luxury car.

Wait. Taurus numbers are "thin" at 4172, but the Expedition and Crown Vic were "strong" at 3315 and 2777, respectively? :headscratch: Your logic continues to escape me.

As for the Fiesta, I think you answered your own question. Besides, overall B-segment volumes really aren't that high to begin with. The only models that sell significantly better are also significantly cheaper.

One of those was me. :hyper:

You aren't thinking very clearly there tonight Nick. Ford sales are up 24% over last year and Taurus sales were DOWN. Expedition and Crown Vic sales were UP in year to year comparisons. So yes, Taurus was a laggard this month. They didn't join the UP party. Expedition and Crown Vic did. The Fiesta problem is cut rate Focuses and inventory is just starting to get decent and Ford is not really pushing Fiesta sales with any great lease deals, rebates, or excpetional finance rates. I suspect Fiesta sales will zoom up more when they do as more inventory starts buiding up and dealers want them off lots. And if the economy keeps improving, fuel costs will start creeping up and B and C vehicles will look more attractive again. I doubt if $100 oil is faraway.

I know there's competition between Lexus and MBenz to see who ends up being the top luxury sales leader for the year. By reading that Toyota press release, it doesnt look hopeful for Lexus. Fusion is doing great, so is Sonata. What Ford has going for it is the higher end options are being picked. We have Explorer and Focus coming out in a few months which is great, although I wouldnt be surprised if Focus number drop a bit, and Fiesta increase a bit mainly because the Focus is getting a bit pricier.

MKS' redo is coming next year, and it needs it hardcore. It's going to need a bit more than a nip/tuck if they want it to work. There's really nothing the MKS has that others aren't already exploiting, and at a lower cost. I'm growing tired of the high cowl, cocoon/bathtub feeling myself.

The MKT at this point is irrelevant, other than picking up livery sales...Its a very good vehicle on the first 2 rows, but it's 3rd row was an afterthought and the teardrop styling is just, hm weird.

We havent seen anything from the MKExplorer, maybe a NY debut ? Or we have to wait 2 years? And no word yet from the Lincoln Tracer either...

You aren't thinking very clearly there tonight Nick. Ford sales are up 24% over last year and Taurus sales were DOWN. Expedition and Crown Vic sales were UP in year to year comparisons. So yes, Taurus was a laggard this month. They didn't join the UP party. Expedition and Crown Vic did. The Fiesta problem is cut rate Focuses and inventory is just starting to get decent and Ford is not really pushing Fiesta sales with any great lease deals, rebates, or excpetional finance rates. I suspect Fiesta sales will zoom up more when they do as more inventory starts buiding up and dealers want them off lots. And if the economy keeps improving, fuel costs will start creeping up and B and C vehicles will look more attractive again. I doubt if $100 oil is faraway.

Was the model being sold last year at this time not the 'old' Taurus (Five Hundred)? ---> and I'm really asking, I don't know and don't have time to look it up. How do we know that they didn't dump some into fleets to get rid of them before the new model arrived? Either that or, if the current model was on sale then plus the old model's sales.

In order to answer your question as to Taurus' major competitors.....non-luxury that is:

Chevy Impala

Buick LaCrosse

Nissan Maxima

Toyota Avalon

Volkswagen Passat/CC

Hyundai Azera

But I bet some premium/entry lux cars are also cross-shopped with the Taurus, like:

Lexus ES

Lincoln MKZ

Saab 9-3

Acura TSX

Acura TL

There might be a few more....but I think that's it.

"Hope thos Mercury owners can buy Ford or Lincoln brand car or truck."

I'm sure Hertz, Enterprise, Budget, and Avis will do fine with Ford brandsAlso, Ford offered dealers a chance to 'buy' left over new Mercs and then place into used inventory. Grand Marq sales down near 40%, let the funeral begin. :goodnight:

Edited by 630land

Was the model being sold last year at this time not the 'old' Taurus (Five Hundred)? ---> and I'm really asking, I don't know and don't have time to look it up. How do we know that they didn't dump some into fleets to get rid of them before the new model arrived? Either that or, if the current model was on sale then plus the old model's sales.

iirc it felt like forever waiting for the superTaurus to get to dealers so I did some checking

according to one .pdf I still have, Job1 was June 15

but found a post elsewhere from late Aug saying they were just starting to arrive at dealers

so

imho you're likely right in thinking Nov last year there were still some pre-super Tauruseses at close-out prices

+ finally good supply of the super ones ( = good sales numbers)

$3,000 on the hood if financed thru Ford, OR $1,000 on the hood and special APR (3.9% for 60mos).

Or 27mo lease for $303 a month here.

Doesn't exactly sound like "giving them away."

Exactly! I got $3500 cash back on my Fusion when I bought it in March 09....they would have been desperate to get rid of them as MCE'd Fusions were there or on the way. $1000 + special financing is nothing special.

Those transaction prices more than justify the lower volumes and since they also share a lot of the more

expensive engineering with Taurus and new Explorer, It's not like they're completely unique vehicles.

I sense that some posters are missing the whole concept of efficient use of D3/D4

and that every version released is some kind of orphan platform failure....

Edit,

Did I hear correct that Lincoln livery vehicles will be coming from OAC in the near future?

Yes, and 'deadery' too. Word is the MKT will be stretched into a limo and....a hearse. Which begs the obvious question...Will every MKT still come with a panoramic vista roof?...

I picked up a wopping $1K RCL Renewal rebate on my $52K Lincoln MKX, by far the lowest incentive I have ever gotten on a car! Of course, I also benefit from the Z-Plan pricing (Dad's a Retiree). So the MKX and Edges sold last month were done so without incentives.

When I was looking at the MKS back in August and September, they were throwing amazing lease deals on them, but they appeared to have dried up in November and everything moved to the MKZ. The MKS is a steal, no reason it shouldn't be selling unless people just don't want them or don't know about them. The MKS is an AMAZING car for the money, especially if you get one with an EB engine. I'd still rather have the MKX, but for those out there who like large cushy sedans with some serious punch...it would be my first pick. I just don't get it, the MKS and Taurus are awesome cars but they don't move...people really don't want large cars of any kind it seems. I know I'm probably like many of those customers, if I'm going to spend that money I want a Crossover.

Edited by BORG

Interesting news about Hines Park LM dealer out of Plymouth, MI and how they are trying to survive. No Mercury vehicles left and down to selling a few Lincoln models. First, they have strong used car department, but second they have a Ford dealership farther out in suburbs. If you want a Ford branded vehicle, you go to Hines Park LM and they will order it for you and ship it by truck when it comes to their outer Ford dealership right to your house for you. In that way they keep your business and keep their sales people busy. A couple guys I know have done this already. They wanted a Milan, but they are no more and Hines Park LM shipped new Fusion right to their doorstep.