Ford's Alan Mulally wants Lincoln on par with BMW, Lexus..

CEO Alan Mulally, holding forth with a small group of reporters last night including Drive On, says that Ford now has "a perfect opportunity" to improve Lincoln to the level of competitors like Lexus, Mercedes-Benz and BMW. "This is an opportunity for us," he said.

Right now, Lincoln is stacked with too many lightly disguised corporate clones. Mulally says the brand has some breathtaking designs in the works that will raise the level of the brand. And names like MKX, MKS and MKZ that confuse buyers and dealers alike may be on the way out. That's the MKZ Hybrid pictured above, a virtual corporate clone of the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

He said he was told that the confusing names made sense because it forced everyone to say "Lincoln" before they said the letters. But now he sounds unconvinced and making name changes is "one thing we're thinking about going forward."

USA Today

Continental is pretty good name to revive for the MKS mid cycle update... :reading:

It would make the MKS more appealing to the older crowd which currently doesn't understand what "MKS" means. Of course, I have vowed NEVER to buy another "Continental", I hated that car and hate the name...most embarassing ride I ever bought.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Mulally says the brand has some breathtaking designs in the works that will raise the level of the brand. And names like MKX, MKS and MKZ that confuse buyers and dealers alike may be on the way out.

:shades:

Does this mean that the vehicles that currently comprise the Lincoln lineup are themselves on their way out very soon? :happy feet:

Edited by aneekr

It would make the MKS more appealing to the older crowd which currently doesn't understand what "MKS" means. Of course, I have vowed NEVER to buy another "Continental", I hated that car and hate the name...most embarassing ride I ever bought.

Flat out no. If they bring back the Continental name its got to be put on something a lot better than an MKS.

I sincerely hope they don't start renaming existing vehicles if they go the route of actual names. The renaming of Zephyr with MKZ was just plain silly.

As for people needing to identify with the "Llincoln" brand ahead of the car name, that can be handled with creative advertising which up until Farley arrived, just plain did not exist.

Was the '39 Continental an embarrassment?

The 56?

The 61?

The Mark III?

• Like 3

I would perfer all new names; i dont think there is much heritage names in Lincoln besides contienental , town car and the Mark series. I think what went wrong with the MK thing is that it should have just been Mark Z, Mark X, etc.... i think it adds more that just the MK.

BTW i have no new name suggestions.

They could come up with other letters, they just dont have to be MK THIS, MK that, MK your momma, and thats the confusing part. I'm not against naming schemes we discussed years ago like "Continental Sedan" would be CS..."Town Car" would take "TC", etc. That was a good idea for naming migration. Now they can do pretty much anything. Give "S" for Sedan. So if it's a compact sedan, then Lincoln CS. Midsize sedan, "Lincoln MS" or some other type...

Names is the way to go. I don't HATE the MK* scheme ( and I don't understand why even the Press Corps gets it wrong...it isn't rocket science ) but lots of people do....and it would set Lincoln apart from the "me too" crowd of alpha-numerics.

Future C car should be[b] Interceptor [/b]

MKZ should turn into Zephyr

MKS should turn into Continental

Possible future flagship should be Sentinel

future coupe/ hard top convertible should be MARK IX

Future small crossover should be Niagra

MKX should turn into Aviator

MKT ( if it survives ) should turn into Atlantic

Navigator should stay as is.

• Like 1

I'm conflicted on the naming. Clearly the MkNaming is confusing to many, but I'm not sold on heritage names (except maybe Continental - Provided the vehicle is stunning). It always kills me when I see Cadillac fans argue for bringing back Seville, Deville, etc, which I think carry more stigma than positives. Mazda's convention is the best at doing what they'd hoped in terms of making the brand name part of the model, but a Lincoln3 isn't the way to go either.

I don't mind the Lincoln naming scheme the way it is, but I've witnessed the constant confusion with customers and dealers enough to know it's just not ideal. And Lincoln returning to heritage/retro naming is a great way to remind people that Lincoln is your Grandpa's luxury car and in no way competes with youthful and aspiring brands from Germany and Japan. If Lincoln wants to keep the status quo and fail, go ahead with hertiage naming, it's marketing suicide. This is one brand where nostalgia isn't compatible with the market they are seeking. Keep in mind, the market they are seeking (like me) knows the Continental is that ugly plastic chrome barge with the broken air suspension that their deceased grandpa use to own.

Keep in mind, the market they are seeking (like me) knows the Continental is that ugly plastic chrome barge with the broken air suspension that their deceased grandpa use to own.

You must be very young.

cont6.jpg

Here's some nice reading for you on how exactly Lincoln turned it around once before with a car called the "Continental."

Background Story on 61 Continental

• Like 3

This is one brand where nostalgia isn't compatible with the market they are seeking. Keep in mind, the market they are seeking (like me) knows the Continental is that ugly plastic chrome barge with the broken air suspension that their deceased grandpa use to own.

I think your giving yourself too much credit and other people our age...this same idea has infested the thinking of Detroit for the past 30-40 years...something with a new name is automatically better (for great example, look at what Chevy has done in the B and C Segments just in the past 10 years). If something is done right or even done halfway right and improved upon, it doesn't matter what its named, as long as there is contuntiney in the name. How many times have you heard people hey I need a new car, and someone automatically blurts out buy a Camry or Accord? Both those cars wheren't anything special in the 1970's.

Awesome article and some interesting photos too....makes me believe that any future Thunderbird should be flown under the Lincoln banner.

And to quell any back-lash...it should be presented as "Thunderbird, by Lincoln." The name is primary in this case, the brand...second.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1