Focus Wagon to US in 2012

As I said over there, while I like the Focus Wagon, having a tall Focus Wagon (Verscape), a medium height Focus Wagon (non-Grand CMAX - has it been confirmed it's hybrid/electric only?), and a regular height Focus Wagon seems like a few too many options in a market that does not traditionally favor wagons.

That's actualy very surprising, but I suppose low volume variations are more cost effectve if they are no longer regional products.

I think the wagon version is pretty homely looking, but aren't all wagons?

Coming from the Detroit Auto Show I have to say Ford's C-Segment cars are really blending together, I can imagine consumers being very confused by their options. I guess options are good...but...too many things look alike going forward.

Stil wishing the C-Max 5-seater was available in standard cheap-and-cheerful gas powered mode.

Edited by BORG

I love the looks of this wagon, and the original Focus wagon was also a looker. But I do agree with BORG about wishing the regular 5-seat C-MAX would come to North America as well. I love the Grand C-Max but I don't really need a third row. I'd still consider it for my next new car though. As for the broad line-up, I don't see it as a problem.

As I said over there, while I like the Focus Wagon, having a tall Focus Wagon (Verscape), a medium height Focus Wagon (non-Grand CMAX - has it been confirmed it's hybrid/electric only?), and a regular height Focus Wagon seems like a few too many options in a market that does not traditionally favor wagons.

It depends on Gas prices. if they end up at $4.00 a galon by the end of this year, Ford would look brilliant.

I think this looks good for the Next Mondeo/Fusion coming in a Hatch and wagon. If gas prices continue to rise.

• Like 1

1) That's actually very surprising, but I suppose low volume variations are more cost effective if they are no longer regional products.

2) I think the wagon version is pretty homely looking, but aren't all wagons?

3) Coming from the Detroit Auto Show I have to say Ford's C-Segment cars are really blending together, I can imagine consumers being very confused by their options. I guess options are good...but...too many things look alike going forward.

4) Stil wishing the C-Max 5-seater was available in standard cheap-and-cheerful gas powered mode.

1) Absolutely right, current combined Focus sales globally is approx. 60,000 per month allowing more cost effective derivatives

2) Yes, Wagons are homely but more fuel efficient than a small SUV and no aweful minivan sliding doors.

3) That's no coincidence, Ford's market research is pointing to a fragmented market where diversity is everything.

4) You'll probably find that the 1.6 EB is more pleasing than the NA 2.5 I-4 with only a small premium cost....

Edited by jpd80

I like the wagon. I think it's sharp. So if you have the C-max and all it's varients (I'm confused) and of course the CUV's out there: Why a wagon for North America? You tell a CUV driver they drive a heightened wagon for all intents and purposes...you could be asking for trouble :).

As for a Coupe...in a B or C segment, Why? As a owner in this market, space is a primium. I'll take a hot hatch everytime and twice on Sundays. The C segment coupes are way too small and too niche IMHO. I theorize when the Honda Civic Hatchback was discontinued, Honda fans were in an uproar at first. I think Honda sold the owners very well that they didn't need them. The coupes (and wagons) are overall better looking IMO yet hatchbacks and CUV's are generally more practical.

For the ease of ingress/egress of persons and cargo, a CUV woulld be preferable then a wagon.

I guess it comes down to personal taste but Ford has to make a profit. I feel they will make more of an profit on the 5dr HB and CUV then 3dr coupes (we can't even get a 3dr HB either) or wagons.

If it's a go, cool.

Edited by Hugh

I like it too, it looks like a slightly extended hatchback. Everything about a Focus wagon appeals to me, the technological and performance upgrades, mpg's and style of the 2012 with more cargo room. I'm single and not concerned about rear legroom, I want light duty cargo space. One thing I'd like to see is a fold flat front passenger seat at all levels. That feature really came in handy in my Freestyle (yep, I'm the one who bought it). I need the extra space of a small wagon but not as much as a CUV or SUV. I was planning on looking at the 5 door this spring but will now wait to see if this wagon is coming.

I'm an admitted wagon-file, so this is right up my alley. I could see this replacing my '08 Focus sedan in the next couple of years.

I would definitely consider the '12 Focus Wagon - make mine 4wd please.

However, I'm sceptical Ford is actually going to offer this in North America with all of the other tall wagons being offered.

I remember when I got my '06 Focus wagon, the dealer parking lot was full of them here in Montreal. However, when I suggested to my father that he check one out, he couldn't find any on the lot in Windsor. Small wagons just don't seem to be very popular in some places - particularly in the U.S.

I did a search for 2012 Focus wagon and it's a hit in Europe making up one third of Focus sales there. Car and Driver stated NA will probably never see the wagon and JD Power called the C-Max a Focus wagon. Is the C-Max going to be NA's new C segment wagon? For buyers who want the extra space of a Focus wagon, we may never see one because it will take sales away from the C-Max.

View PostBORG, on 16 January 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

I think the wagon version is pretty homely looking, but aren't all wagons?

Well, that tells me all I need to know about your critique of the new Focus...

If it's not a porpoise looking SUV, it's ugly to Borg.

Looks better than the sedan to me. The lines just flow better. Now I just have to wait to see one in person and see if the drivers position has enough leg room. First automaker with a reasonable priced compact to mid size wagon that I can fit my legs into will get my business.