Mulally Gives Ford Lightness Lead After Threat to End Explorer

Mulally Gives Ford Lightness Lead After Threat to End Explorer

Blue Oval Forums - Six months after arriving at Ford Motor Co. from Boeing Co. in 2006, Alan Mulally had to decide the fate of the Explorer, once America’s top-selling sport utility vehicle.

Ford had just posted a $12.6 billion annual loss, and investors were clamoring for the new chief executive officer to replace such guzzlers as the Explorer with the gas-sipping models that buyers wanted.

Mulally had to think fast after Ford staked the company name as collateral on $23 billion in bank loans. At Boeing, he’d bet that lightweight parts would help the 787 Dreamliner burn 20 percent less fuel than rival airliners. He gave Ford engineers an ultimatum: Put the Explorer on a diet, or it’s dead, Bloomberg Markets magazine reports in its March issue.

“Alan told us we need to truly reinvent the Explorer,” Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s product development chief, says in the company’s domed-shaped showroom in its Dearborn, Michigan, design studio.

When Kuzak, 59, went back in early 2009 to request $400 million to start producing the Explorer that his team had spent two years overhauling, he didn’t begin his pitch with profits or costs. Instead, he told Mulally he’d found ways to cut almost 100 pounds (45 kilograms) from the 4,450-pound behemoth, get 24 percent better gas mileage, add length and width and maintain off-road performance.

‘Absolutely Critical’

Mulally, sitting with 15 executives in the Thunderbird Room at Ford’s Dearborn headquarters, was so impressed that he gave Kuzak the cash to start building in a renovated Chicago assembly plant.

“Weight is absolutely critical,” Mulally, 65, says in his 12th-floor office overlooking a factory where Henry Ford built the Model T. READ MORE HERE.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Whatever lets him sleep better at night I guess...keep throwing stuff at the wall til something sticks. cupid.gif

It's all about the spin.coffeebath.gif

That spin amounted to over 12,000 sales last month. :shrug:

When was the last time the Panthers sold that well -- or the previous BOF Explorer for that matter? :poke:

Edited by NickF1011

Whatever lets him sleep better at night I guess...keep throwing stuff at the wall til something sticks. cupid.gif

It's all about the spin.coffeebath.gif

Dude, why do you come around here every couple months, spend a few hours spewing :blah: :blah: and then go back to your rock?

• Like 1

id like to see a couple hundred outa the stang..cars today (compared to 60's. 70's) are as fat as old fronthingslosh beer babe from the 70's...mpgs go up like a rocket if they can get the weight out..which aint going to happen due to all the nazi safety idiots..oh well...ford has a good policy here no less and me supports it...guys with the diesel scouts are getting 25mpg..thinking of cummings (there is no other diesel) conversion on the little gal..

The very first 2011 Explorer our dealership received was ordered for stock and lasted about 48 hours before it was sold and delivered. That was in January and since then we've had not a single 2011 Explorer as every new unit received was a retail/factory order for a customer. Fortunately for the Dealership and its customer base, we've finally gotten caught up on getting retail orders scheduled and now have 6 stock orders scheduled that should arrive by late this month or early June.

The very first 2011 Explorer our dealership received was ordered for stock and lasted about 48 hours before it was sold and delivered. That was in January and since then we've had not a single 2011 Explorer as every new unit received was a retail/factory order for a customer. Fortunately for the Dealership and its customer base, we've finally gotten caught up on getting retail orders scheduled and now have 6 stock orders scheduled that should arrive by late this month or early June.

My local dealership is selling Foci and Explorers off the truck. Some aren't even lasting a couple of hours.

Freestyle > Taurus X > new Explorer

Yes, pat yourselfs on the back some more please. :hysterical:

I guess the massive sales in the Explorer's debut went right past you, didn't it?

Yeah, golly, those charts must be tough to read when you don't go below "Crown Victoria".

That spin amounted to over 12,000 sales last month. :shrug:

When was the last time the Panthers sold that well -- or the previous BOF Explorer for that matter? :poke:

Hey Nick, long time no forum chat.

That's an unfair comparison, when was the last time the Panthers saw 'investment' of any circumstance? And the last gen BOF Explorer was never much of a looker vs. it's previous incarnation.

• Like 1

Dude, why do you come around here every couple months, spend a few hours spewing :blah: :blah: and then go back to your rock?

Well, it is mainly because "The Caprice Forum" is so stinkin' busy ( :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: ) that he hardly has the time to come here and wax poetic about Panthers

I guess the massive sales in the Explorer's debut went right past you, didn't it?

I guess the massive failures that where the Freestyle and Taurus X, which are essentially what the next Explorer is with yet another facelift, went right past you, didn't it?

Yeah, golly, those charts must be tough to read when you don't go below "Crown Victoria".

I read below Crown Victoria on those charts every month, to giggle at it nearly beating or besting it's 'replacement' on a fairly regular basis from 2005-2009.

• Like 1

Well, it is mainly because "The Caprice Forum" is so stinkin' busy ( :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: ) that he hardly has the time to come here and wax poetic about Panthers

Want to see a busy B-body forum, try the Impala SS one. :confused:

Actually it's because I was banned from here for absolutely no reason than an admin or two not liking the validity of my arguments. Arguments like the Fusion, Mustang, and Focus being brilliant and the Panthers, Ranger, and D3 sedans being a waste. Fortunately one kind moderator saw through this and got my account restored, but now I regulate myself to posting less frequently as not to upset too much TPTB and their :cheerleader: s. Now it has to be pretty absurd for me to even comment on it, like the absurdity that this new Explorer is some stroke of genius.

Edited by Armada Master

I read below Crown Victoria on those charts every month, to giggle at it nearly beating or besting it's 'replacement' on a fairly regular basis from 2005-2009.

Why do you think they kept CV for so long, it's win-win for Ford.

Think about it, PD's get a CV for $22K while the Taurus starts at $28 K....

After September, Taurus and Explorer get the whole market, no more comparing then....

D3 Explorer is still limited by production and inventory levels, if it's already around 12,00 to 13,000 a month

then it's possible that sales could be even higher with restrictions removed, up around the 15,000 level.

Edited by jpd80

Now it has to be pretty absurd for me to even comment on it, like the absurdity that this new Explorer is some stroke of genius.

You have an attitude problem.

Nobody around here has presented the new Explorer as "some stroke of genius" — only YOU.

We have, however, presented the new Explorer as a great effort in producing a viable product — which it is.

I guess the massive failures that where the Freestyle and Taurus X, which are essentially what the next Explorer is with yet another facelift, went right past you, didn't it?

Wow...calling this "just another facelift" despite all the articles that have come about is kind of a huge statement of ignorance, and a sad one at that. Let me guess...when the Crown Vic lost the recent cop car comparos, you sat there insisting "it's not in last, it's in THIRD!!!" didn't ya?

Ford did invest in a new full sized car, called Taurus. The old Explorer was a gas hog with not alot of room. Buyers never go off road or tow boats [an excuse for buying big].

Fact, Ford is making $$$ without the old man's cars that supposedly have "paid off tooling". The floaty boat car loyalists have literally died off, with the last WWI veterans. RIP.

Hmmmm.................

Old floaty boat BOF cars being Ford mainstream and luxury offerings = Ford circling the drain.

New D3/4 offerings that are beyond respectable, and command significantly higher ATP's = Ford having record profits.

Nahhh..................... its just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Why do you think they kept CV for so long, it's win-win for Ford.

Think about it, PD's get a CV for $22K while the Taurus starts at $28 K....

After September, Taurus and Explorer get the whole market, no more comparing then....

Works in theory, except for one little problem, you are going under the assumption that Ford will retain the police and taxi market when the Panthers go away. History says otherwise. I believe the commercial/police/taxi sales will go to Chevy and Dodge, FWD FTL.

You have an attitude problem.

Nobody around here has presented the new Explorer as "some stroke of genius" only YOU.

We have, however, presented the new Explorer as a great effort in producing a viable product which it is.

Wow...calling this "just another facelift" despite all the articles that have come about is kind of a huge statement of ignorance, and a sad one at that.

I am a realist. This Explorer is the Freestyle, restyled and restyled until Ford could get somebody, anybody to start buying them. If it was that great of a product to start with, it would still be the Freestyle and still be offered as such. Instead, lets change names and nosejob it til somebody wants it, same with the D3 sedans.

Ford did invest in a new full sized car, called Taurus. The old Explorer was a gas hog with not alot of room. Buyers never go off road or tow boats [an excuse for buying big].

Yup, problem is, they've been investing in it nonstop since 2004, and have been unable to label it a 'hit' until it's third incarnation/second namechange in 2010. Money that should have been invested in the Panthers, to carry them through CAFE in 2016, which BTW is when the D3/4 sedans are going to go away as well.

Fact, Ford is making $$$ without the old man's cars that supposedly have "paid off tooling". The floaty boat car loyalists have literally died off, with the last WWI veterans. RIP.
Hmmmm.................

Old floaty boat BOF cars being Ford mainstream and luxury offerings = Ford circling the drain.

New D3/4 offerings that are beyond respectable, and command significantly higher ATP's = Ford having record profits.

Nahhh..................... its just a coincidence

Full size cars haven't been mainstream in twenty years, D3's driving Ford's record profits? LOL, ever heard of the F-series? :hysterical:

Haters hate. Negatards negatate.

haterbatman.jpg

It makes sense that Ford went this route with Explorer, the B-O-F one needed to be replaced/updated, CAFE is right around the corner, the Taurus X/Freestyle has been another D3 waste, I can see the logic, doesn't mean they deserve a pat on the back for five years of D3 SUV mediocrity though. I see this as no different than GM rebadging the Venture into the Uplander with a nosejob, difference is Ford made for a more attractive looking product.

Edited by Armada Master
  • Like 1