Turbocharged Mustang confirmed by Bill Ford Jr.

have you driven the 3.7?...smooooooooooooooooooth....although never been a fan of the mustangs clutch takeup. takes awee while for me to adjust, guess I'm initially too gentle....

I have driven the 3.7 actually. I found that for normal around town type driving it felt a lot like my 4.0. The 3.7 makes its power high in the rpm range so in the 1500 to 2500 range the two cars feel a lot alike. At about 3000 rpm, however, the 3.7 starts to build power and you really notice the difference then. I liked it a lot, it was fun to drive. If I was in the market for a new Mustang I think I would actually take the 3.7 over the GT. My take on it is this. Where are you really going to put 400 hp to use on municipal streets ?Nothing against the GT mind you. If someone wants the 400 hp GT they should by all means go get it. But personally I feel that anything over 300 is prettty much overkill on city streets. Factor in traffic, weather and road conditions and heck most days you'll find that you'd be just fine with a 150 hp car to have fun with.

My take on it is this. Where are you really going to put 400 hp to use on municipal streets ?Nothing against the GT mind you. If someone wants the 400 hp GT they should by all means go get it. But personally I feel that anything over 300 is prettty much overkill on city streets. Factor in traffic, weather and road conditions and heck most days you'll find that you'd be just fine with a 150 hp car to have fun with.

I got a ride in a 2007 Roush Stage 3 Mustang and it was kinda scary (vs my 2006 GT)...which has the same power as the 2011 GT. It be nice to have though as an option when needed LOL :)

Alright, I've had just about enough of you bad mouthing my 4.0. LOL Seriously though, it still has plenty of performance, I average 19 mpg around town and the thing is nearly bullet proof. I have no complaints.

I'm a 2005 4.0 driver too. I like my car.

Everybody knows the auto mags will call the 3.7 a boat anchor too in a few years. And everybody on the message boards will repeat it all the time.

I found myself recommending finally the V6 Mustang, mainly because of it's power and fuel economy, plus it actually sounds good, and doesn't have the "step and wait" annoyance the 4.0L had which I had some close calls with. Im guessing the "SVO" will probably be the 3.5L EB mainly because it's already available in a Longitude configuration. the 2.0L EB would be nice for better FE but I figure that a "Focus coupe" would probably use that, and have a $25K pricepoint.

At first blush, I'm thinking the EB will show up in the next -gen Mustang. If there is a EB in the current one, I'm thinking EB 35 and probably a limited edition as well. I wonder if Ford has enough capacity for EB 35 as of now considering F-150, Flex/MKT, Taurus/MKS requirements?

Then again, I'd like to imagine Alan and Derrick and Jim are in a room at Ford HQ saying "Bill said WHAT?" :ohsnap:

Edited by Hugh

At first blush, I'm thinking the EB will show up in the next -gen Mustang. If there is a EB in the current one, I'm thinking EB 35 and probably a limited edition as well. I wonder if Ford has enough capacity for EB 35 as of now considering F-150, Flex/MKT, Taurus/MKS requirements?

I don't think there is any internal changes to the 3.5L, so its just a matter of slapping on the Turbos and other upgrades to make it. Plus I'm betting that EB sales of the D4 products don't sell more then 20-25K units a year. Not sure of the numbers Ford is expecting for the F-150 EB, but AFIAK is only in upper end F-150s, where the 5L will do the yeomans work and the V6 will take care of the fleets.

LINK

Ford's much discussed four-cylinder Ford Falcon may not turn out to be as limp wristed as some pundits suggest. Indeed, set to debut later this year under the ECOBoost banner, the new direct-injected turbocharged two-litre engine could be a surprise performer – even under the full-sized Falcon's bonnet.

Ford's local engineers are as proud as punch about the results of combining the new turbo four and ZF's six-speed auto in the Falcon. In fact, they have revealed the turbo four Falc will outpace a Holden Commodore 3.0-litre V6 when it goes on sale later this year.

Ford insiders would not reveal to the carsales Network exactly how the acceleration times compared, but did say the four-cylinder Falcon had "met its targets and that [out-accelerating Commodore] was one of the targets".

I believe, a long long time ago someone at Ford said that every Ford product would have EB available. So that would include the Mustang. So this may not even be a scoop

I thought that statement was about Lincoln and the one related to Ford was 80%. Not sure you'll see the EB in something like the E-series anytime soon.

I bet the turbo engine will be a base model below the V6. The next generation V6 model will probably see a 25-30hp increase, putting it in the 330-335hp range. That's a lot of power, definitely much more than necessary for rental companies and teenagers. What we'll probably see is the base model switching to a 2.0L EcoBoost and the "Premium" model coming with the 3.7L V6.

I don't see the problem if the Ecoboost Mustang is a 2.0 4 banger. I think it'll work. Most some good volumes along with the 3.7. I think there are some out there who might typically buy an Asian machine, because they have turbo''s. I think the Mustang could grab a few of those sales.

But I think the 5.0 should be supercharged for the Mustang. To me, that just speaks more to the recent heritage of the Mustang and super charger. I think leave the 5.0TT for the "halo" car, such as the GT. That would give Ford some differentiation in models.

The 1979-93 Stangs had a 4 banger as base motor all those years, so what? Should offer one now, but of course a better I4 than the old 2.3l. The base models supported the marque for 47 years, so don't get all goofy thinking 'only high HP'.

wonder what the resons were they got away from that scenario?.....regardless, It just doesnt jive for me, if the same engine is in the flagship Focus, oe uber Fiesta, I think putting it in the entry level ( ?) Mustang cheapens the Focus....along with making people, rightly or wrongly, misjudge the Mustang....I DONT want the Mustang to become veiwed as an economy MPG car.....save that for the base non eco'ed Fiestas and Focus's.....the YEHAH! belongs in the Mustang camp....

wonder what the resons were they got away from that scenario?.....regardless, It just doesnt jive for me, if the same engine is in the flagship Focus, oe uber Fiesta, I think putting it in the entry level ( ?) Mustang cheapens the Focus....along with making people, rightly or wrongly, misjudge the Mustang....I DONT want the Mustang to become veiwed as an economy MPG car.....save that for the base non eco'ed Fiestas and Focus's.....the YEHAH! belongs in the Mustang camp....

Right now the Mustang is sharing power plants with a pickup truck. I don't think having the same power plant as the Focus or Fusion is going to cheapen it at all. Regardless, you might as well get used to the idea because gas is going up and American icon or not, people aren't going to buy the Mustang in sufficient quantities to keep it viable if they have to dump 120 bucks a week in gas into it.

Right now the Mustang is sharing power plants with a pickup truck. I don't think having the same power plant as the Focus or Fusion is going to cheapen it at all. Regardless, you might as well get used to the idea because gas is going up and American icon or not, people aren't going to buy the Mustang in sufficient quantities to keep it viable if they have to dump 120 bucks a week in gas into it.

correction, the F-series is sharing the engines from the Mustang.....( even sounds better....lol ) PS, the eco F-150 I drove ASTOUNDED me......2wd Spercab....absolutely a hoot, and felt quicker ( seat of the pants ) than the eco Flex.....

great, next up fusion V twins......