'12 Raptor Gets Torsen Diff

....not yet, maybe down the road...I see the 6.2 perhaps becoming redundant in the 150 lineup....its take rate is trivial....

..and the take rate for the Boss 302 is trivial compared to the rest of the Mustang lineup. Choice is a good thing though. For those who have opted for the 6.2, I doubt many of them regret it.

• Like 2

Yea, they also get cooled seats and the accent interior color is now blue vs orange.....

I really wanted to order a 2012 raptor, but the 10-12mpg was a big negative with that truck. It would have cost me $10,000 more to purchase and $10,000 more to operate over the Ecoboost Lariate that I bought... A $20,000 differential over 4 years was just a little too much for me to justify....

Having said that, I still think it is the best performance truck to ever roll off any assembly line and would have loved to own one....

..and the take rate for the Boss 302 is trivial compared to the rest of the Mustang lineup. Choice is a good thing though. For those who have opted for the 6.2, I doubt many of them regret it.

Regret the power no, The MPG yes. My buddy must have a lead foot. He gets a constant 13-14mpg on his 6.2 Raptor.

well thats kinda an ill conceived comparison, the Boss engine is limited production, and my guess is its tweeks will find their way into the 2013 regular 5.0...the 6.2 in the f 150 is readily available......I for one would go eco boost....it literally feels the same if not more powerful, and has obvious benefits at the pump....really the only thing missing is a V8 rumble.....

Edited by Deanh

Yea, they also get cooled seats and the accent interior color is now blue vs orange.....

I really wanted to order a 2012 raptor, but the 10-12mpg was a big negative with that truck.

It's not that bad -- Overall I get about 14, but on the highway if I keep it under 75 I can get almost 16. It is a fantastic vehicle, though I do need to take it into the dealer for a few small things.

Edited by jasonj80

It's not that bad -- Overall I get about 14, but on the highway if I keep it under 75 I can get almost 16. It is a fantastic vehicle, though I do need to take it into the dealer for a few small things.

14? Wow, my 96 bronco gets 14 mpg lol. Guess the only-way to make an offf-road vehicle get some-what decent gas millage is to make it jeep-sized.

My problem is that most of my driving is tilted toward city/congested highway and about 10-11 mpg is all I would have got. ( I only get 15-17mpg in the Ecocboost) My only long cruses are when I hitch up the boat to go fishing. I drive about 20K per year and that would really add up. Also I have to park in a lot of small city lots. The lariat feels like I am parking a battle ship, I suspect that the extra 7" of tire width would make that task a little more challanging as I am more or less on the lines as it is....

It really is a nice truck and I get green with envy every time I see one....

Edit:

It is official, I truly regret not getting the Raptor. I checked my gas milage. I got 14.8mpg and I am really babying the truck. I am nearly certain I could have got within 1-2mpg driving the raptor the same way. That first fully tank mpg was VERY disappointing. I am truly disappointed in the ecoboost right now.....

Edited by sranger

Hopefully it doesn't auto-destruct like the Torsen in the FX4 Level II Rangers...

There was an issue with the Torsen diff in the 2002 Ranger FX4. There was no Level II until 2003 and all 2002 Ranger FX4s had the Torsen. I had a new FX4 in 2002 and it was recalled to have the rear axle assembly replaced. Something about some part in the Torsen diff not being properly heat treated. I wouldn't say they were self-destructing though. There were only one or two trucks that had a problem before all 2002 manual transmission FX4s were recalled. One of those trucks belonged to a member on offroadrangers.com and his was the reason for the recall. He dumped the clutch on pavement and grenaded the Torsen.

My problem is that most of my driving is tilted toward city/congested highway and about 10-11 mpg is all I would have got. ( I only get 15-17mpg in the Ecocboost) My only long cruses are when I hitch up the boat to go fishing. I drive about 20K per year and that would really add up. Also I have to park in a lot of small city lots. The lariat feels like I am parking a battle ship, I suspect that the extra 7" of tire width would make that task a little more challanging as I am more or less on the lines as it is....

It really is a nice truck and I get green with envy every time I see one....

Edit:

It is official, I truly regret not getting the Raptor. I checked my gas milage. I got 14.8mpg and I am really babying the truck. I am nearly certain I could have got within 1-2mpg driving the raptor the same way. That first fully tank mpg was VERY disappointing. I am truly disappointed in the ecoboost right now.....

Let it break in -- the first 1,000 was horrific in my truck ( I was getting 10.5) it got up to 12.5 by 5,000 and slowly got up to the 14 at about 10,000.

Let it break in -- the first 1,000 was horrific in my truck ( I was getting 10.5) it got up to 12.5 by 5,000 and slowly got up to the 14 at about 10,000.

Excactly...all Ford products that friends and family bought in the past couple years had bad MPG numbers the first 6-10K miles on them.

Excactly...all Ford products that friends and family bought in the past couple years had bad MPG numbers the first 6-10K miles on them.

I found out that my truck was not going into 6th gear. For some reason it was stuck in over drive off mode. Dealer re-flashed the truck. On the way to dealer it showed 13-15MPG and on the way home it showed 18-19mpg ( About 32 miles mixed City/HWY both ways) That overdrive really makes a difference with this truck...

I am pretty sure that this was the issue. I could not see the gear selection in the 4" display and now I can turn it off of on. I suspect that the ECU was improperly program to start with. It also seemed to solve the occasional 1-2 rough shift problems that I have noticed when you are accelerating slowly...

Regret the power no, The MPG yes. My buddy must have a lead foot. He gets a constant 13-14mpg on his 6.2 Raptor.

I would venture to guess that a lot of Raptors are not daily drivers. Sort of negates the need for them to get class-leading fuel economy. I wouldn't recommend a Raptor, with any powertrain, for a daily driver to anyone.

well thats kinda an ill conceived comparison, the Boss engine is limited production, and my guess is its tweeks will find their way into the 2013 regular 5.0...the 6.2 in the f 150 is readily available......I for one would go eco boost....it literally feels the same if not more powerful, and has obvious benefits at the pump....really the only thing missing is a V8 rumble.....

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Look at the 6.2 in the F-150 as being limited production. Yes, it's a normal check box on the order sheet, but Ford certainly wasn't/isn't expecting it to be a high-take option, regardless of gas prices.

As I recall, the ability to add cylinder deactivation to the 6.2L was designed in during the development phase...this could help make the engine more viable in the marketplace as a future upgrade.

Meh, cylinder deactivation doesn't affect MPG figures substantially...

And I seriously doubt those choosing the 6.2L over the EB are that concerned about fuel economy.