2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

I'd bet they care about both. One generally leads to the other.

Ask Toyota about all those profits from selling all those Camrys...oh yeah they barely break even...

Or even better yet...GM sells more cars then Ford does, but Ford trounces them in Profit per vehicle...

• Like 1

I don't know if it was mentioned here or not as I haven't read through the 21 pages haha, but do we know when production/ordering starts? I noticed on the Ford website over the past week that they changed it from Spring, to summer, to now Fall of this year on the main page when you click on "Cars". Anyone know? My dad's lease on his MKZ is up in August and i'm hoping it will be on the lots around that time!

He will need to extend his lease probably by two months, and he will need to order a car.

The Fusion won't be more expensive than the outgoing model, but it will have a more expensive top-end. The base models will still be in the range of the current car. Now what typically has changed with every new Ford introduction is the 'similarly equipped' pricing. You will most likely be paying more to get the premium appearance package for example.

Ford needs to earn its premium pricing, which has to start somewhere. If people perceive your vehicles to be more valuable, they will pay more and people will line-up to do so. It works for BMW, VW, Audi, and the fruit company which shall not be named ;).

Edited by BORG

One generally leads to the other.

Bzzzttt. Wrong answer.

GM sold more vehicles than Ford but Ford made more profit. Each vehicle has a sweet spot where the vehicles can be sold for maximum profit. If you produce too few vehicles you lose out on sales and profits. But once you exceed that sweet spot and you start adding production cost (more plants/shifts, more options, etc.) or worse - incentives - then your per vehicle profit starts to erode.

If you can be #1 and be efficient in production without huge incentives - that's great. But when you start chasing the sales crown by adding production costs and incentives then you start losing money.

Therefore if Chevy decides they want the #1 truck sales crown and they're willing to lose money to do it - Ford won't care and they won't counter it. They'll just keep making F150s they can sell at maximum profit.

So while Ford would like to be #1 in sales for each segment they will not sacrifice profits to do it.

• Like 1

Ask Toyota about all those profits from selling all those Camrys...oh yeah they barely break even...

Or even better yet...GM sells more cars then Ford does, but Ford trounces them in Profit per vehicle...

the less they sell, the more profit they better get per vehicle. Once they figure out the best price that factors in profit per car and sale, I doubt they would be against selling more cars ;)

Regardless, the person in the article said people would flock to the vehicle, which I can only assume he meant high sales. My post was in reference to his assumption that price doesn't matter for sales. So even if you pick apart 1 small part of my post, my point still stands.

Edited by iuswingman

the less they sell, the more profit they better get per vehicle. Once they figure out the best price that factors in profit per car and sale, I doubt they would be against selling more cars ;)

Regardless, the person in the article said people would flock to the vehicle, which I can only assume he meant high sales. My post was in reference to his assumption that price doesn't matter for sales. So even if you pick apart 1 small part of my post, my point still stands.

The point you're missing is that Ford would rather build a great car and price it appropriately and sell 200K than decontent it or compromise the styling to lower the price and sell 300K.

To put this in context - would you rather work 40 hours per week and get paid $50K/yr or would you rather work 30 hours per week and get paid $50K/yr? You can take the other 10 hours per week and do something else. Likewise, Ford can take the extra capital and invest it in some other vehicle that also returns profits rather than artificially increasing sales of one vehicle just to win a sales crown.

• Like 1

The point you're missing is that Ford would rather build a great car and price it appropriately and sell 200K than decontent it or compromise the styling to lower the price and sell 300K.

To put this in context - would you rather work 40 hours per week and get paid $50K/yr or would you rather work 30 hours per week and get paid $50K/yr? You can take the other 10 hours per week and do something else. Likewise, Ford can take the extra capital and invest it in some other vehicle that also returns profits rather than artificially increasing sales of one vehicle just to win a sales crown.

No you're missing the point of my post. The person in the article said people would flock regardless of price.

Do you think sales will be the same at $25,000 as they would at $28,000 for the same car?

He wasn't talking about profit margins. He was saying the fusion was so great that price won't matter.

Edited by iuswingman

No you're missing the point of my post. The person in the article said people would flock regardless of price.

Do you think sales will be the same at $25,000 as they would at $28,000 for the same car?

He wasn't talking about profit margins. He was saying the fusion was so great that price won't matter.

Not exactly. He was saying that there were enough people that would be willing to pay extra for such a great car that it would not significantly impact sales. Of course they would sell more at $25K than $28K because some people shop price alone but Pete is saying that Ford will be able to hit its sales targets with a premium vehicle at $28K.

• Like 1

Just saw that the 1.6L EB will be available with a Manual?!?!?!

Might be fun to drive...thinking something along the lines of Focus Sport apperence package, but can get MFT if you want it.

You can get the 2.5L with a manual today so that makes sense. The question is whether they'll offer it in an upgraded model or restrict it to SE like the Focus.

• Like 1

Just saw that the 1.6L EB will be available with a Manual?!?!?!

Might be fun to drive...thinking something along the lines of Focus Sport apperence package, but can get MFT if you want it.

How would the engines rank in performance?

2.5L

1.6 EB

2.0 Hybrid

2.0 EB

is that right?

You can get the 2.5L with a manual today so that makes sense. The question is whether they'll offer it in an upgraded model or restrict it to SE like the Focus.

I would bet that it will only be offered on the lowest trim level as a price of entry and that's it. They already relegated the manual to the base S trim level only for 2012.

I would bet that it will only be offered on the lowest trim level as a price of entry and that's it. They already relegated the manual to the base S trim level only for 2012.

That's common on the last model year. I'm sure it will be offered on the SE as well.

I don't think so actually. The S is available only with the 2.5L and from Fords website it says • Available new 1.6L EcoBoost* engine. Coupled with standard SelectShift Automatic® six-speed transmission or optional manual transmission. So I would assume it will be available on the SE at least.

New Fusion spec sheet lists

Fusion equipped with the 2.5-liter inline four cylinder, is mated to 6F35 six-speed automatic

Fusion equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost, is mated to 6F35 six-speed automatic, or six-speed manual

Fusion equipped with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost is mated to 6F35 Select Shift automatic

At the launch Ford did mention that the Fusion S trim would be available with 1 engine and transmission 2.5-liter inline four cylinder,& 6F35 six-speed automatic.

That is interesting news. According to the info I've seen, the SE will be available with an SE Luxury Group which, I'm assuming, will be similar to last years SEL. I'm also assuming that the 1.6 Ecoboost will be available with said group along with the manual. Good news.

One thing I'd love to see the car mags test, perhaps as a sidebar, are the EcoBoost engines on the recommended 87 octane regular and then again on 91 octane premium and see what the performance/economy difference is. I know on the F150, it's rated on regular, but the owners manual recommends premium if you are towing a very heavy load.

Edited by StevenCaylor

From

LeftLane News:

Ford won’t seek sales title with new Fusion

Ford ’s new Fusion promises to be a strong seller thanks to its good looks and advanced powertrains, but the Blue Oval has no intentions of knocking off the Toyota Camry for the sales lead in the mid-size sedan segment.

“Between price and volume, we’ll sort out the right mix,” Jim Farley, Ford’s global marketing chief, told Bloomberg. “I don’t think we’re very enamored with being No. 1 just to be No. 1. We’re much more enamored with getting the right price point and the right kind of people to buy the car.”

Except in this case I agree with him. Ford already proved that people are willing to pay a premium for a better vehicle.

Have they really proved this? I mean they have done ok on the Focus without using incentives, but the real test is when these car lines start to age if they can keep selling them at the same rate without using incentives or adjusting pricing and packages. That will be the real test.

• Like 1

Have they really proved this? I mean they have done ok on the Focus without using incentives, but the real test is when these car lines start to age if they can keep selling them at the same rate without using incentives or adjusting pricing and packages. That will be the real test.

The point is not to let them age. Ford plans to keep them fresh with freshenings ever few years.