2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

Some designs don't allow trunk struts so it's not necessarily just a cost issue.

Since this is also one of my pet peves, I can provide some input.

I will agree that one has to make the decision on which decklid hinging system to go with before the design is complete, but it is primarily a cost issue.

The sheetmetal for a 4-bar link is unique as it has to incorporate a bigger ditch to accomodate the mount ponts for the hinge. If you have a gooseneck, then going to a 4-bar link would require considerable cost to retool. And there is also a variable cost penalty for 4-bar link.

My general impression without doing research is that goosenecks are very European, while 4-bar links are very Japanese. I've noticed at the auto show that even BMW uses goosenecks (I didn't check MB and Audi). They are packaged better than they used to be. In the old days, they were more inboard and uncovered so there was a good chance they would smash your luggage. But now at least BMW has them outboard and enclosed so even though you still lose some luggage room, you can't pinch your luggage.

What do you bet they just relocated the goosenecks from the Mondeo?

Given that Fusion is a very nice major refresh of the Mondeo, I'm assuming they used carryover parts wherever they could as long as they didn't inhibit the design theme or function. Engineers generally design what they know. In this case, I doubt they gave it much thought at all. Whether the parts are actually common or just similar in design, I'm not sure.

From what I'm seeing the Fusion is around 20 mm wider with regards Hip and shoulder room compared with current Mondeo,

This bring it to very similar internal dimensions as D3 Taurus but still around 2" narrower than Falcon's hip and shoulder room.

With FoA now seriously evaluating their future cars and the days of a Falcon-Fairlane pairing now past, I think there's a real

opportunity for the next large car to share a lot of CD4 engineering and for one car to cover mid size and large segments with

a few modest changes, mostly concerning engine and trunk capacity. Falcon now uses EUCD door and frame tech so further

changes using wiring looms and electricals like Ranger does...

Although it could become a completely different car, I keep getting visions of the 2016 Falcon as a RWD version of Fusion,

using it powered IRS and a lot of the top hat and dash board/trim modules to get the project over the line...but still,

there's a very compelling argument for AWD Fusion with I-4 and V6, diesel and hybrid - all that tech is hard to resist.....

Given that Fusion is a very nice major refresh of the Mondeo, I'm assuming they used carryover parts wherever they could as long as they didn't inhibit the design theme or function. Engineers generally design what they know. In this case, I doubt they gave it much thought at all. Whether the parts are actually common or just similar in design, I'm not sure.

Current Mondeo sedan uses struts on the trunk lid

DSC_0609a_770.jpg

First gooseneck hinges I have seen on Euro Ford cars, started with the latest Focus (MKIII) sedan, which caused lots of negative comments

on the Focus forums in Europe, but at least the design is good and does not eat up space

2012_ford_focus_crg_ct_218111_717.jpg

like the cheap hinges found in the new Sonata (man no wonder new Hyundai's are so low priced (light on the substance factor)

2011_hyundai_sonata_crg_ft_1_815.jpg

Edited by MKII

Thank you for the pictures. Although I admit a strut setup is arguably superior, I personally think it's not that big of a deal. I guess I'll have to tell my wife to cease purhase on that swanky luggage set.

My LS has the gooseneck hinges. It's occasionally annoying ("Why won't this stupid lid close? Oh, yeah..."), but it's normally not a big deal. If they've shrouded the hinges, it shouldn't be any issue at all.

I would have to add, with my LS I have no problems sticking a moderate sized plastic storage bin in the trunk, even if it is pretty shallow and just 13.5 cu.ft. I tried doing that in an MKS and because the cut-out is so limited because of it's "coupe like" rear end, I cannot placed that bin inside it's cavernous (once inside), 20cu.ft. trunk. As more of these vehicles are being designed with more swoopier coupe-like rear ends people need to check realistically what fits in their trunk if the cut-out is compromised.

As more of these vehicles are being designed with more swoopier coupe-like rear ends people need to check realistically what fits in their trunk if the cut-out is compromised.

That was actually one of the first things that struck me on seeing the MKZ show car. Having all the trunk space is great--unless you can't get anything in there...

That was actually one of the first things that struck me on seeing the MKZ show car. Having all the trunk space is great--unless you can't get anything in there...

Good reason to include the 5 door hatch for these new models

Mondeo 5 door hatch

ford-mondeo-hatchback-2-0-tdci-edge-5dr-1904781461-640x480.jpg

Edited by MKII
  • Like 2

part of the reason why guys think the fusion looks sexy is cuz the front looks like it has a gaping mouth giving fellatio

if you show the fusion to any chick they'd roll their eyes and say it looks like a camry.

Nice way to stereotype there, Bub.

This "chick" thinks the new Fusion looks very elegant, with excellent detailing that makes it look much more expensive than it actually is. Frankly, it makes all other midsize cars look clunky and bloated.

However, what would I know............... being a "chick" and all?

part of the reason why guys think the fusion looks sexy is cuz the front looks like it has a gaping mouth giving fellatio

if you show the fusion to any chick they'd roll their eyes and say it looks like a camry.

WOW...all I can say...WOW.....enjoy the single life much?...

Edited by Deanh

My bestfriend, who happens to be a female, saw the cover of the MT that her husband received (yes for free, cause no one i know pays for that subscription), and she thought it looked very elegant, and very "Jaguar and Aston Martin-like" and she doesn't know much about cars, although she absorbs things when I point things out to her. But speaking about car fronts, and sex, my tips is, the days of having sex on top of your car hood are long gone... I remember snapping my Mustang hood in half when I did that, and I wasn't even lying on IT ! Oh how times have changed :(

• Like 1

Methinks as well that ShabbyBub shall not continue to be a member of BON for long.

LOL, I note that his post disappeared pretty quick. If it wasn't for the quote above, I never would have knows what an ass he was.

Thanks Tom!!

To a small mind, it must be devastating to have a "chick/hag" know more about cars/trucks than he does. :D

I'm thinking late teens??

I guess I will just add him to my fan club. LOL

Edited by Extreme4x4
  • Like 1

LOL, I note that his post disappeared pretty quick. If it wasn't for the quote above, I never would have knows what an ass he was.

Thanks Tom!!

To a small mind, it must be devastating to have a "chick/hag" know more about cars/trucks than he does. :D

I'm thinking late teens??

I guess I will just add him to my fan club. LOL

You probably have the biggest fan club of anyone else on this site. It happens when you're the only female in a space, I've noticed.

My bestfriend, who happens to be a female, saw the cover of the MT that her husband received (yes for free, cause no one i know pays for that subscription), and she thought it looked very elegant, and very "Jaguar and Aston Martin-like" and she doesn't know much about cars, although she absorbs things when I point things out to her. But speaking about car fronts, and sex, my tips is, the days of having sex on top of your car hood are long gone... I remember snapping my Mustang hood in half when I did that, and I wasn't even lying on IT ! Oh how times have changed :(

My wife thought it looked like a "premium car" (her words exactly). She loves the design inside and out.

You probably have the biggest fan club of anyone else on this site. It happens when you're the only female in a space, I've noticed.

The problem isn't the "fan club." It's the "fan" club................. if you know what I mean. I seem to attract more of the stalker sort, than the admired because I am a female motorhead, sort. LOL Oh well. My shoulders are broad (not really).

To that end, I just had alot of fun schooling some revisionist history on Ford, on the Corvair forum. :D My husband was amused. I know alot more about the current affairs of the auto industry than he does.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than start a new topic I'll post this here.

Left Lane News wrote an article suggesting that Ford might have shown the Fusion off too soon. Larry Taylor, an Ohio Ford dealer owner, is concerned that 2012 Fusions won't be moving off the lots with customers waiting till September for the 2013 model.

In my opinion, the Fusion kind of had to come out at Detroit, regardless of its on-sale date. NAIAS is the biggest U.S. show of the year and it's also the home show for the Big 3, therefore they want to show off their biggest new products, no? Also, some comments make good points about stopping people not just buying current Fusions, but also current CamCord, Malibu etc...

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Aussie_Ford
  • Like 1

...Also, some comments make good points about stopping people not just buying current Fusions, but also current CamCord, Malibu etc...

What are your thoughts?

considering how gorgeous the new Fusion is (well maybe not the tail lights)

imho this is a distinct possibility

& it wouldn't surprise me if Ford intends this

imho the MKZ is another story....

Edited by 2b2

Well Lincoln needed something at Detroit - the 2013 MKS/T weren't going to be enough IMO, so the Concept was quite wise - it separates the production car reveals (Fusion & MKZ) and also builds up a bit of anticipation to New York (regardless of what people think of the final product).