Ford Announces New Explorer Sport

Eventually. Probably. I don't believe Ford has actually confirmed that yet. It definitely won't be there when production starts at Hermosillo.

He didn't say when, LOL.

They've been on the record saying that is "the plan", and it was written into the UAW agreement. All that paired with Mazda6 production winding down at the end of this year and I would be surprised if it didn't happen in the next 2 years or so.

They've been on the record saying that is "the plan", and it was written into the UAW agreement. All that paired with Mazda6 production winding down at the end of this year and I would be surprised if it didn't happen in the next 2 years or so.

I'd hope they'd have AAI up and running by next summer...at the latest if the 6 moves out by the end of this year...

That makes sense. I wonder if I could find me a dealer to order me one under the X Plan? happy%20feet.gif

They aren't a limited production model, so I don't see why they wouldn't! :happy feet:

Mrs. PREMiERdrum was already set on having a new Explorer in the next year or two (when it's time to move past the Escape), and this might just be the one.

• Like 1

They aren't a limited production model, so I don't see why they wouldn't! :happy feet:

Mrs. PREMiERdrum was already set on having a new Explorer in the next year or two (when it's time to move past the Escape), and this might just be the one.

When the Flex was officially introduced, I told my wife "there's your next vehicle". She said "nope, it's ugly!" Well, we got an early Flex in the Fall of '08. Last night I shoed her the pics of the Explorer Sport and said "there's your next vehicle." The worst she could say was "I don't like the wheels!" So, looks like we may be getting an Explorer Sport...in about Fall '16. hysterical.gif

Q&A on the New Addition of the Explorer Sport

Mar-29-2012 1:50 PM ET

DEARBORN - The Explorer lineup grows in 2013 with the addition of Explorer Sport bringing more power, unsurpassed fuel-economy

and sport enhanced capability to the Explorer family. Below is a Q&A about the new model including, design changes on the exterior

and interior and additional enhancements that will improve ride and handling.

Q. How have customers responded to the Explorer?

A. Ford sold 135,704 Explorers in 2011, a 124 percent year-over-year increase, through February 2012, Explorer sales totaled 20,406

totaled, a 20 percent increase this year. We've seen that nearly 40 percent of Explorer customers are choosing the Limited model and

Explorer is conquesting at a rate of 50 percent with about 13 percent of sales coming from luxury customers.

Q. What is different between the Explorer Sport and the Explorer?

A. Explorer Sport receives the 3.5-liter EcoBoost i-VCT V-6 engine as well as calibrations and component upgrades to accommodate

additional power and improved driving dynamics. It also features a new look on the exterior and the interior.

Q. What design changes have you made?

A. The look and feel of Explorer Sport is premium and sporty. We have a new leather interior with contrast stitching and sport specific

detail touches. New sport specific floor mats, and darkened tail and headlamps. Overall the Sport-specific interior inspired by

designer accessory fashion and sporty exterior design cues interior give customers a total package of sport and luxury.

But the improvements we made in design are also matched by how well performance has been enhanced. The 3.5L EcoBoost engine

provides 350 hp and torque with improved cornering and more than a two second improvement in 0-60 time than the 3.5L Ti-VCT V-6

engine.

Q. What technologies are coming on Explorer Sport?

A. The Explorer Sport comes with a lot of new additions standard, including: 3.5L EcoBoost engine mated to a 6-speed SelectShift

automatic transmission with paddle shifters, SONY Audio system with HD radio, Terrain Management System, front-passenger knee

airbag and more.

In addition, Explorer Sport is the first Explorer to get a solid mount Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) steering rack. EPAS has

its own unique steering ratio that is sport specific, enabling more secure steering that is tighter and more responsive.

Q. What is the fuel economy on Explorer Sport?

A. Explorer Sport delivers projected fuel economy of 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway, making it the most fuel-efficient gasoline

powered 7-passenger high-performance sport utility vehicle

Q. Why does the 3.5L EcoBoost provide less horsepower and torque on Explorer Sport then Taurus SHO or Flex EcoBoost, which

are mated with the same engine?

A. The manifold, exhaust, turbo tuning and under hood space had to accommodate the 4WD system in Explorer. Also, the exhaust

system needed to be re-routed to accommodate 4WD when traveling off-road, induced by higher ground clearance.

Q. Will the 3.5-liter EcoBoost be available across the lineup?

A. No. The 3.5L EcoBoost is a unique offering for Explorer Sport. We believe we have the right mix of engine offerings to meet the

needs of our customers. The 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 offers the blend of capability and fuel economy that Explorer customers will

appreciate. The 290 hp 3.5-liter Ti-VCT V6 offers strong towing performance and best-in-segment fuel economy.

Q. Why did you use an iVCT versus a Ti-VCT engine?

A. The iVCT can deliver a faster 0-60 time and the additional performance that Explorer customers are looking for.

Q. What is the towing capacity of the 3.5L Explorer Sport?

A. The maximum towing capacity of Explorer Sport is 5,000 lbs. Also, this towing capacity and the fuel economy won't be diminished by

adding a trailer tow package.

Q. What is the pricing on Explorer Sport? When will it go on sale?

A. It is too early to talk about pricing but Explorer Sport will be positioned above the Explorer Limited. It will go on sale in the fourth

quarter of this year.

Q: Does Ford need an Edge, a Flex and an Explorer?

A: Absolutely. We’re a full-line automaker, and our plan includes a balanced portfolio for customers with a variety of vehicle needs.

Comments (0)

There are no comments on this article.

Page 1 of 1

http://www.at.ford.com/news/

• Like 1

When the Flex was officially introduced, I told my wife "there's your next vehicle". She said "nope, it's ugly!" Well, we got an early Flex in the Fall of '08. Last night I shoed her the pics of the Explorer Sport and said "there's your next vehicle." The worst she could say was "I don't like the wheels!" So, looks like we may be getting an Explorer Sport...in about Fall '16. hysterical.gif

by that time the 2500lb 450 hp triple turboed hybrid 2.0 GDI nano engine with the 10 speed auto and 1500 mile pure electric mode Plutonium model should be avail....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

So I think we now know why the Explorer 3.5 EB was a little late to the party, it was non trivial to rejigger the chassis and drivetrain to support it. And it's coming later that I expected, Q4 2012 when most 2013 models are hitting in Q3. I sure hope we hear about that Lincoln version soon, this Explorer is here to stay awhile.

.... 3.5-liter EcoBoost i-VCT V-6....

....The 3.5L EcoBoost engine provides 350 hp and torque with improved cornering and more than a two second improvement in 0-60 time than the 3.5L Ti-VCT V-6 engine...

...The 290 hp 3.5-liter Ti-VCT V6 offers strong towing performance and best-in-segment fuel economy....

....Q. Why did you use an iVCT versus a Ti-VCT engine?...

I really dont think whoever came up with the terminology on the engine tech has any idea of the meaning of independent.

If Ti-VCT and i-VCT are both truly independent, i fail to see the relevance of highlighting the twin aspect of the former, if the latter is already phasing each cam relative to each other, hence the independent.

Falcon has had VCT tech for 14 years. In 1998 on the SOHC engine there was only one phaser so theres no argument. 2002 they launced the twin cam motor and whilst each cam had a phaser, they didnt operate independent. 2005 they updated with a new ECU to independent cam phasing but have never marketed any twin aspect. Pretty simple in comparison.

• Like 1

I really dont think whoever came up with the terminology on the engine tech has any idea of the meaning of independent.

If Ti-VCT and i-VCT are both truly independent, i fail to see the relevance of highlighting the twin aspect of the former, if the latter is already phasing each cam relative to each other, hence the independent.

Falcon has had VCT tech for 14 years. In 1998 on the SOHC engine there was only one phaser so theres no argument. 2002 they launced the twin cam motor and whilst each cam had a phaser, they didnt operate independent. 2005 they updated with a new ECU to independent cam phasing but have never marketed any twin aspect. Pretty simple in comparison.

I'm calling smokescreen on that. It would appear (Pure speculation here) that Gen 1 EB 35 is for the D platform and Gen 1.5 (Ti-VCT) is going to F-series. Now, they have to say something to make it sound good to the public. Some research would reveal that Ti-VCT generally has improvements over i-VCT. Much like DI over MPI. However, it's a solid plant and perhaps it's better to 'spin' it as a good thing not as a 'That's all we got for now'.

Due to the dual banks on V engines, you have Twin I-VCT but on Inline engines you have I-VCT

funnily enough at first glance I thought Honda had come out with a better looking CRV........

I too thought that new Traverse was a Crosstour remake.

But thats also like comparing a Mustang GT and a Shelby GT500....

Not to mention that the SRT8 starts at $60K and only gets 12/18 MPG...I'm sure the Sport will start at less then 50K and will come close to the SRT's highway mileage with its city MPG rating!

Ok, so tell us for those people that typically purchase a GT500, SRT8, etc, how many are truly worried about mpgs???? crickets...

Sure, getting power and MPG's is a great feature of the EB. But most people buying vehicles like the GC SRT8 are least concerned with mpgs and more so with the hp/ft-lb, 0-60 & 1/4 mile times. Or they bought it to floss, but still could care less about mpgs.

Edited by V8-X

I too thought that new Traverse was a Crosstour remake.

Ok, so tell us for those people that typically purchase a GT500, SRT8, etc, how many are truly worried about mpgs???? crickets...

Sure, getting power and MPG's is a great feature of the EB. But most people buying vehicles like the GC SRT8 are least concerned with mpgs and more so with the hp/ft-lb, 0-60 & 1/4 mile times. Or they bought it to floss, but still could care less about mpgs.

bet the Explorer Sport outsells the SRT8..................

• Like 1