A Manual Trans Comeback? Maybe

This surge in popularity comes despite a 10-percent drop in the percentage of new models offering stick shifts in the past five years, according to the report. The change in consumer behavior has surprised some automakers, including Ford, who told the newspaper that demand for a manual in the Focus is nearly 10 percent, more than double the automaker's original forecast.

Flip that around and 90% of buyers want automatic or automated transmission operation,

be that conventional auto transmissions or DSG gearboxes like Powershift....

My father always said I'd get tired of shifting after I bought my first car. My second car was an auto. It was so boring to drive an automatic, I traded a perfectly good car for a manual transmission truck. And I've been driving it ever since.

A lot of people I know started driving their parents' cars; most of which had an AT. And never having known the joy of a manual shift car--I'm reminiscing about my old Miata here--they have no desire. In this age of touchscreens, and cars that tell you when/how to maintain them, I'm not surprised in the lack of interest.

Hell, those of us who prefer them are probably fortunate they haven't said that manual trannies promote distracted driving as much as cellphones. (even though I'd say the opposite is true; a manual makes you focus more)

People have their preferences. I am glad to see that manuals haven't disappeared over the years. I hope they never do.

• Like 3

My father always said I'd get tired of shifting after I bought my first car. My second car was an auto. It was so boring to drive an automatic, I traded a perfectly good car for a manual transmission truck. And I've been driving it ever since.

A lot of people I know started driving their parents' cars; most of which had an AT. And never having known the joy of a manual shift car--I'm reminiscing about my old Miata here--they have no desire. In this age of touchscreens, and cars that tell you when/how to maintain them, I'm not surprised in the lack of interest.

Hell, those of us who prefer them are probably fortunate they haven't said that manual trannies promote distracted driving as much as cellphones. (even though I'd say the opposite is true; a manual makes you focus more)

People have their preferences. I am glad to see that manuals haven't disappeared over the years. I hope they never do.

There are actually some people that enjoy the sensory experience of driving a vehicle and love all the feedback like engine noise, suspension working, working the tach with your shift points, and on and on. Those people will always seek out vehicles that satisfy those needs whether they be new or used. Driving a vehicle like that commands your full attention and that equates to fun for those drivers, even just going to and from work let alone attacking your favorite scenic road.

• Like 4

Doubtful since its a dry clutch transmission. Not to mention I bet only 10-15% of the driving public can drive a stick.

I know if I didn't know how to drive a stick, I'd rather get an automatic then worry about burning up a clutch or causing an accident when the car stalls out.

• Like 1

Doubtful since its a dry clutch transmission. Not to mention I bet only 10-15% of the driving public can drive a stick.

I know if I didn't know how to drive a stick, I'd rather get an automatic then worry about burning up a clutch or causing an accident when the car stalls out.

At Waterford Raceway in MI other day, a driver with his instructor in car was waiting on grid waiting for spotter to give him go ahead to get onto track. The vehicle was a newer GT3 probably worth north of $100,000, and as he got go ahead, he proceeded to smash the accelerator but rode the clutch like crazy and you could smell the burning clutch lining for about 15 minutes thereafter. The engine must have surged for up to 10 seconds before the car started racing forward. Most around me thought he had probably seriously wore out the clutch lining at least. Expensive day out learning how to drive his expensive sports car. Another dude had to be given two black flags over two laps before he finally came in and heard the music. And he had an instructor in car with him!

Flip that around and 90% of buyers want automatic or automated transmission operation,

be that conventional auto transmissions or DSG gearboxes like Powershift....

Plus, that 10% was only on the Focus.

But lo and behold, it seems that manuals accounted for 6.5 percent of new vehicle sales during the first quarter this year, the highest take rate since 2006, according to Edmunds.com numbers cited by USA Today.

So, 94.5% overall purchase auto transmissions.

LOL They never went away in Europe, we are still waiting for automatics to catch on here. We drive nearly all manual sticks in the UK so does most of the world outside of North America.

That's true. Maybe, just maybe as "One Ford" becomes the norm manuals can be offered across the board. Then we see more manual sales.

So, 94.5% overall purchase auto transmissions.

Because most don't have an option other than an Auto. I know in my old '99 Explorer V8, the old '02 F150 5.4L and my current '06 F150 5.4L, if Ford had offered a stick, I would have purchased one over the auto.

And that there is another misleading aspect of %. Sure 94.5% bought an auto, but how many would have bought a stick had the car/truck they purchased offered a stick as an option? Don't offer a stick and you're automatically stuck in the auto trans. category whether you wanted a stick or not.

Edited by V8-X

And that there is another misleading aspect of %. Sure 94.5% bought an auto, but how many would have bought a stick had the car/truck they purchased offered a stick as an option? Don't offer a stick and you're automatically stuck in the auto trans. category whether you wanted a stick or not.

Its either the chicken or egg approach here...but keep in mind that the manual population will continue to decline because there are less and less vehicles to learn or drive on to keep people's skills sharp. Plus I feel that automatics these days are about 90% as good as a manual transmission....they are far better then they where in the 1980's when matched to a I4 engine.

I've owned nothing but manual equipped cars since I've started driving, but there is a very good chance that my next car will be an automatic.

Because most don't have an option other than an Auto. I know in my old '99 Explorer V8, the old '02 F150 5.4L and my current '06 F150 5.4L, if Ford had offered a stick, I would have purchased one over the auto.

And the reason the stick shift was dropped was because take rates were low...

The cost of developing an option versus the recovery, sure there are buyers

but Ford is done with developing vehicles that make no money....

And as you mentioned above, you still bought the F150 auto even though you prefer a manual..

This sis the most compelling evidence, manual buyers will continue buying auto vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

Because most don't have an option other than an Auto.

Yeah, it's hard to move the needle when Ford doesn't even offer a stick in its best-selling vehicle. How absurd is it to not even offer a stick in a frakking pickup? Why do I have to choose between a Mustang and an econobox (a very nice econobox, but still an econobox) to get a manual transmission?

• Like 1

Because not enough people want them or buy them when offered. It's that simple. It costs money to offer a manual and they're not going to do it if the take rate is low. Also - with pickups there is no European market to drive up demand like there is for small cars.

Because not enough people want them or buy them when offered. It's that simple. It costs money to offer a manual and they're not going to do it if the take rate is low. Also - with pickups there is no European market to drive up demand like there is for small cars.

Take rate is low on manuals when they are only available on the bottom-of-the-barrel trim that nobody wants. Look at the manual take rate on higher content models like Mustang, MINI, WRX, Jetta, etc.

• Like 1

Take rate is low on manuals when they are only available on the bottom-of-the-barrel trim that nobody wants. Look at the manual take rate on higher content models like Mustang, MINI, WRX, Jetta, etc.

Huh? The manual take rate on base vehicles is higher than the 7% overall mentioned, as it is on performance cars.

Porsche is one carmaker that has kept the faith. The sports car-centric brand sells a higher percentage of sticks than any other, from 60 to 65 percent on all its sports cars. Yet even Porsche officials say that automated gearboxes are a key to maintaining the brand’s appeal among new generations. “So many young people never learn how to drive a stick, unless a parent makes a point of teaching them,” said spokesman Tony Fouladpour.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=656470

Edited by timmm55

The take rate is higher on sporty cars because they're....umm....sporty. Manuals used to be cheaper and got better fuel economy. That's no longer the case so they're only desirable for driving pleasure and there simply aren't enough buyers who want them on a truck to make it worthwhile to build them. It's that simple. If customers were demanding them they'd build them.

There are actually some people that enjoy the sensory experience of driving a vehicle and love all the feedback like engine noise, suspension working, working the tach with your shift points, and on and on. Those people will always seek out vehicles that satisfy those needs whether they be new or used. Driving a vehicle like that commands your full attention and that equates to fun for those drivers, even just going to and from work let alone attacking your favorite scenic road.

I can't imagine ripping up twisties without a manual. Just as Buyer says above, the feedback from the vehicle is awesome, and you feel more in-tune. Even my little old 89 CRXsi would be a completely different driving experience with an automatic. Can you guys imagine an automatic-only Mustang?

Or off-roading in an automatic? No way.

I had an opportunity to chase an old 944 Porshe through Mulholland Drive and down into the canyons driving my friends modded S2000. I'll never forget that driving experience (even if the guy did smoke me).

I can't stand paddle-shifters and slushbox manumatics either. I have driven them on 3-series BMW's and up to the S-class Mercedes (and a horrifying experience in a 1st-gen Chrysler 300M) and I still don't care for them.

Thank God for motorcycles if they are going to take away my manuals in cars.

• Like 2

The take rate is higher on sporty cars because they're....umm....sporty. Manuals used to be cheaper and got better fuel economy. That's no longer the case so they're only desirable for driving pleasure and there simply aren't enough buyers who want them on a truck to make it worthwhile to build them. It's that simple. If customers were demanding them they'd build them.

Funny because in the real world manuals still get better gas mileage in spite of the EPA figures. And less than 10% are into "driving please"? Plus the base economy cars? You think maybe, just maybe economy drives might actually like the "driving pleasure"?

Manuals are still cheaper, initially and in the long run.

• Like 2

Funny because in the real world manuals still get better gas mileage in spite of the EPA figures. And less than 10% are into "driving please"? Plus the base economy cars? You think maybe, just maybe economy drives might actually like the "driving pleasure"?

Manuals are still cheaper, initially and in the long run.

Not so sure about the MPG statement in todays cars..

There are two times I am glad i have an automatic, when pulling my boat (twice a year ( once up, once back) or sitting in traffic, otherwise i would prefer manaual. that being said for those sitting trafffic, an automatic is a blessing.