Ford recalls 11k 2013 Escapes due to fire concern, will pick up from owners

\

Maybe that could be their new marketing slogan....."Ford - we aren't worse than anyone else!"

Well, if you could pull up the press release where Ford announced that they had forever solved all quality glitches for good and would never have the need to issue another recall ever again, that would be great.

Oh, there isn't such a press release?

Of course there isn't! Problems will happen. The issue is how quickly they are discovered and addressed, and how often they occur. Given that this is only affecting 11,000 vehicles, I would say kudos for detecting it very quickly. How many more we should expect to see can't be inferred at this time. But given the relatively low number of recalls on other newer Ford vehicles like Fiesta, Focus, and Explorer, we shouldn't expect a whole heck of a lot.

Edited by NickF1011

Well, if you could pull up the press release where Ford announced that they had forever solved all quality glitches for good and would never have the need to issue another recall ever again, that would be great.

We could all be apologist with regard to vehicle launches. What about that ones that didn't have an issue?

"sorry, we're only human!"

• Like 1

:headscratch:

Who has placed Ford above anyone else? Just trying to point out that Ford isn't any worse than anyone else.

And who issues a recall these days that doesn't get some sort of coverage?

You and many other people on this board--valiantly defend, make excuses, and try to minimize any and all negitivity toward Ford.

And Ford is now below the average in initial quality-- their scores have dropped in the past year.

I and many people here want the best for Ford, but at least I am not looking through rose colored glasses all the time. If Ford did the same they would be out of business.

• Like 2

Anybody remember how many recalls were on the first Escape?

Not really, it's been a dozen years now. The fact that the Escape sold well years afterward means recalls don't ruin a reputation that badly. J.Q. Public has short attention span these days. The Firestone-Explorer fiascio is decade ago and forgotten, the Explorer is a huge hit again.

But, if dont like Ford, buy another brand, the world will go on. {i know from experience]

Edited by 630land

You and many other people on this board--valiantly defend, make excuses, and try to minimize any and all negitivity toward Ford.

And Ford is now below the average in initial quality-- their scores have dropped in the past year.

I and many people here want the best for Ford, but at least I am not looking through rose colored glasses all the time. If Ford did the same they would be out of business.

They aren't rose-colored. They simply aren't colored like the hind end of a horse either. Did I say somewhere on this thread that recalls are good? Ford should be concerned, as I'm sure they are, but the bottom isn't dropping out of the company either.

Or perhaps it is. We should fully expect this new Escape (and all other new Ford vehicles) to have 16 recalls in the first 18 months again. Ford should immediately fire all upper management and start over. Their system is obviously completely broken.

Edited by NickF1011

Does this recall suck? Yes.

Should it have been avoided? Sure.

Could it have been avoided? Maybe. Sometimes, chit happens. All things mechanical have failures now and then, and some times you don't catch it until it is too late. Kudos to Ford for catching it early and doing something about it as quickly as possible. I would say the same thing about any manufacturer...I'm logical and realize this stuff happens.

As far as Ford being lowest in initial quality, that is largely due to MFT. And we all know that has been (for the most part) resolved with the latest update. Where has Ford been in total number of vehicles recalled in the past 5 years? What is the trend compared to other manufactures? I see no need to be alarmed with an issue that gets caught with < 12000 vehicles affected.

• Like 2

Could it have been avoided? Maybe. Sometimes, chit happens. All things mechanical have failures now and then, and some times you don't catch it until it is too late. Kudos to Ford for catching it early and doing something about it as quickly as possible. I would say the same thing about any manufacturer...I'm logical and realize this stuff happens.

As far as Ford being lowest in initial quality, that is largely due to MFT. And we all know that has been (for the most part) resolved with the latest update. Where has Ford been in total number of vehicles recalled in the past 5 years? What is the trend compared to other manufactures? I see no need to be alarmed with an issue that gets caught with < 12000 vehicles affected.

Very well said.

I thought I read here that of the 11000, 4800 units were sold leaving 6200 sitting on dealer lots or at the plant. As much as an inconvenience this is to current owners, at least there haven't been any fires and it should be a relief that Ford discovered the problem and acted quickly. I think the folks who are going to be the most ticked are the customers waiting for their cars to be delivered. Either way, Ford Customer Relations has a lot of fence mending to do.

I thought I read here that of the 11000, 4800 units were sold leaving 6200 sitting on dealer lots or at the plant. As much as an inconvenience this is to current owners, at least there haven't been any fires and it should be a relief that Ford discovered the problem and acted quickly. I think the folks who are going to be the most ticked are the customers waiting for their cars to be delivered. Either way, Ford Customer Relations has a lot of fence mending to do.

There has been 3 fires.

Edited by NickF1011
fixed quote

We have to wait for the next JD Powers survey. The "MFT fix" didn't come in time for the last numbers. It was pointed out that Ford was taking one for the team (doing hi tech 1st has it's drawbacks) but the vehicles otherwise were as well built as before.

I'm glad Ford is being pro-active. With a loaner car and flat bed at the ready.........That's service!

Edited by timmm55

Responses to Ford recalls will now be gauged using a scale of 1 (minor) to 10 (oh noes!) on the "BORG scale".

I wonder how he reacted during the iPhone 4 launch, notoriously known as Antennagate, when thousands of iPhone 4 users reported dropped calls due to poor reception.

Jobs' response was "you're holding it wrong." I don't ever recall Alan Mually saying "you're driving it wrong" when Ford fumbles regarding an item that's far more complex than some smartphone that was well behind the technological curve when it launched. :)

Recalls are never good, but prior FYs, Chrysler has recalled 3x as many vehicles as Ford, and GM 8x as many. The foreign automakers, even more.

The fact that they can pinpoint hazards and stay ahead of more serious issues is a sign that the domestic industry has matured. This isn't a sign of mismanagement at all, instead of ignoring NHTSA, they're cooperating.

Edited by GT-Keith
  • Like 1

I wonder how he reacted during the iPhone 4 launch, notoriously known as Antennagate, when thousands of iPhone 4 users reported dropped calls due to poor reception.

Jobs' response was "you're holding it wrong." I don't ever recall Alan Mually saying "you're driving it wrong" when Ford fumbles regarding an item that's far more complex than some smartphone that was well behind the technological curve when it launched. :)

Recalls are never good, but prior FYs, Chrysler has recalled 3x as many vehicles as Ford, and GM 8x as many. The foreign automakers, even more.

The fact that they can pinpoint hazards and stay ahead of more serious issues is a sign that the domestic industry has matured. This isn't a sign of mismanagement at all, instead of ignoring NHTSA, they're cooperating.

You never want to mess around when there is chance of fire. That means immediate recall. Gas tank and fuel lines have to be perfect. You would have thought that would have been caught during batch and load. It's not like gas has no smell like water. You would think one sharp eyed LAP worker with good sense of smell would have picked up on any fuel line problem. Three fires is not minor even if no one was injured. LAP needs to get its act together.

• Like 1

You never want to mess around when there is chance of fire. That means immediate recall. Gas tank and fuel lines have to be perfect. You would have thought that would have been caught during batch and load. It's not like gas has no smell like water. You would think one sharp eyed LAP worker with good sense of smell would have picked up on any fuel line problem. Three fires is not minor even if no one was injured. LAP needs to get its act together.

could be just a bad batch of clamps from an outside supplier....who knows...

None of this sounds good, but what makes it sound even worse is the statement, Ford is advising affected owners not to drive their vehicles and to contact their dealers immediately for the needed repair. Dealers will deliver a loaner vehicle to customers and will then transport their 2013 Escape to the dealership until the repair has been completed.

Imagine if you were driving along and heard this on the radio.

I hear you, but GM got through their "do not drive, may cause fire" issue with flying colors. Only die hard car fans still dog them about it. The rest of the public seems to adore them according to their sales numbers. I personally don't know why.

This is why Ford is saying to keep Escape parked and they will come get it from you. C.Y.A. !!!!

Ford says it has three reports of fires: two at the factory and one while a customer was driving an Escape. No one has been injured

This is why Ford is saying to keep Escape parked and they will come get it from you. C.Y.A. !!!!

Ford says it has three reports of fires: two at the factory and one while a customer was driving an Escape. No one has been injured

I've always thought that all cars should come with fire extinguishers on board, easy to get to, and out of the way, just like race cars. I've seen lots of vehicles over the year on shoulder of road burnt to a crisp. Once saw a whole family in car wtih all of car engufled in flames one night on freeway many years ago. Will never forget that. The heat was so intense that the first responders could do nothing. Always an experience at gas stations to see cars still running while being gassed up, owner smoking while dispensing fuel into vehicle, answering cell phones while doing same, and on and on. Add in these searingly hot, super dry days, and you see real lack of respect for fire in all forms.

Funny that some claim the 2013 is a much higher quality vehicle then the last generation Escape. Let's wait and give it a few months before that claim becomes fact.

Yeah, let's wait to see if the '13 has a dozen recalls in its first model year...

With all that's out there and everything I've read, I don't recall anyone making the claim that the 2013 is a much higher quality vehicle. I've read the terms bold, refreshing, modernized and improved to describe the 2013, which in my opinion it is. Most of the articles and reviews praise the old design for it's reliability and popularity. Of course there are going to be things that are better, because designs, materials and machines get better and more efficient, that's just the way it is.

For those who want to stay with the old design, I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where George keeps going on and on about Bozo. Your hung up on a design from the 90's man.

Edited by transitman
  • Like 1

At least they named it right, ESCAPE! LOL. My wife picked up her 2013 Escape Titanium 2 nights ago, and could not be happier. I've had a vehicle burst into flames while driving, it's no fun at all. 2 minutes and it's toast!

Regarding the defect, bad parts were supplied and installed. Can't find out they'll burst until they do, unless the mechanical scratches are obvious or pronounced. Instead of scratched and bursting, they could of been manufactured with the wrong material and would of deteriorated internally which wouldn't of shown up for 25,000 miles where it clogged the injectors...things happen, it sucks, but it does. And no I don't think Ford was "quick to catch it" as much as it failed as soon as it was installed and was very obvious in it's failure. Fords response to finding a failed part/parts issue however was commendable.

Regarding the trolls and their baiting on here...it's obvious that this is a ford site for ford enthusiest's. I came here because I'm a die hard ford guy. But, there are many guys who hate fords and come on here to just stir the shit. I can't imagine wasting my time getting a login for a toyota site or honda site, just to stir shit or be negative in every response. It takes a "special" person with issues who seeks out conflict. Perhaps they need to find a hobby? The funniest line they use is "you are all ford guys who only see ford through rose coloured glasses"...it's a ford site...YA THINK??

Whatever, I come on here when I got time, but I won't on the weekends cause like this weekend, I'm at the track dragracing. The dragster ready's to go and I'm driving 5hr's each way to try a new track. SEE YA!!!