C-Max Gets 20Mile Range, 95MPGe

The range is rather paltry, but I guess that's to be expected from a first generation product. What the hell is with this MPGe shit? Anyone here ever received an electric bill in MPGe? ;) How many kilowatts does it use per mile?

I recon MPGe is a made up number because Volt gets 98 MPGe.

Speaking of Volt, I think Ford C-Max Energi has just made it look a little less than fantastic.

it looks a more versatile vehicle, especially if the pricce comes in around $25K.

Edited by jpd80

The plug-in Prius is only rated for 10 miles of electric range. From what Ford has said so far, it should also be very close in gas MPG as well. As long as the C-Max is price competitive, it will make it hard for someone to choose a plug in Prius over it.

MPGe is supposed to tell you how far you will get spending an equivalent amount on electricity as you would on a gallon of gasoline. This number is rather arbitrary as the actual price of electricity and gasoline is always fluctuating.

MPGe is supposed to tell you how far you will get spending an equivalent amount on electricity as you would on a gallon of gasoline. This number is rather arbitrary as the actual price of electricity and gasoline is always fluctuating.

Price has nothing to do with it. MPGe is an energy equivalent -- electricity vs. gasoline. See wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_gallon_gasoline_equivalent

Of course this also could have been expressed in kilowats per mile (or kilometer), but in the U.S., consumers are more geared to mpg rather than liters/kilometer like, say, Europe.

Edited by Austin

I agree. I hate to say it, but I suspect it will be in the $35-40,000 range, probably closer to 40.

http://media.ford.co...rticle_id=36823

It came out lower than that, $33745, and qualifies for a $3750 Fed tax credit. So Ford is advertising the C-Max Energi starts at $29995.

EDIT: Mod, can you change the title to "C-Max Energi Gets 20Mile Range, 95MPGe, Costs $33,745"? Thanks.

Edited by 03 LS

http://media.ford.co...rticle_id=36823

It came out lower than that, $33745, and qualifies for a $3750 Fed tax credit. So Ford is advertising the C-Max starts at $29995.

That price makes it more difficult to decide between the 2 versions, you do lose cargo space with the plug in version though. Also in some States that might even be lower if it qualifies for rebates that the states are offering.

That price makes it more difficult to decide between the 2 versions, you do lose cargo space with the plug in version though. Also in some States that might even be lower if it qualifies for rebates that the states are offering.

Yeah, I checked out the plug-in CMax at the NAIAS and the cargo shelf comes up quite a bit and would estimate you lose at least 30-40% of cargo space. Real high shelf. I would think that for most people the hybrid makes more sense...nice compromise.

Any idea on a Job1 date for the Energi? Would make it easier to convince the wife.

10/1/2012 from what i have, which is CONSTANTLY changing, witness the Focus ST high end models...LATE AVAILABILITY now... Edited by Deanh

GOOD.

Better to have flexibility on J1 than flexibility on quality.

completely agree, flashbacks to when I was supposed to get my Fiesta, October, became December, becam January......got the car in March.Wasnt a big deal to me, annoying perhaps from a customers perspective, but I had nio issue knowing the reasoning...

GOOD.

Better to have flexibility on J1 than flexibility on quality.

in the STs case its onlt the ST model, and from what i can gather the HIDS have something to do with it...we had to cancel our ST and re-enter the midrange package.

So it gets 2.9 miles per KWh (MPK?) Or .34KWh per mile. I could care less how I would rate it against my gas car in joules, I want to know how much it costs to drive. I would have to assume most americans feel the same.

This just goes to show you how detached the epa is from reality. Normal people have to live in reality with real numbers that actually mean something.

Just curious, what are you guys/gals electricity rates?

So it gets 2.9 miles per KWh (MPK?) Or .34KWh per mile. I could care less how I would rate it against my gas car in joules, I want to know how much it costs to drive. I would have to assume most americans feel the same.

This just goes to show you how detached the epa is from reality. Normal people have to live in reality with real numbers that actually mean something.

Just curious, what are you guys/gals electricity rates?

I'll let you know when the grid cant handle all the plug ins and we suffer shortages and blackouts, and Electric companies have an excuse to raise rates....