Lincoln to be Renamed?

Not sure what to make of the comment at the bottom of this Detroit News Article. Also catch the reference to a compact car:

"In coming years, Lincoln will debut additional vehicle refreshes and add a compact car to the lineup. It plans to separate its brand image from Ford's by building Lincoln-only dealerships.

Farley said nearly 80% of dealers have expressed interest in building new, Lincoln-only dealerships.

There's also been talk of renaming the brand. Farley, when asked about such a move, said, "stay tuned."

Full article here:

Edited by mackinaw

If they are even THINKING about that, it shows they truly are clueless. It may have lost a lot but at least to most Americans, mention "domestic luxury brands" and for sure Lincoln and Cadillac come to mind. And for us old guys, I guess you would add "Chrysler".

They would be clueless if they were not "considering" it. That just means you're exploring options which is always a good thing to do. I don't think they would do something like that lightly and Mulally understands the value of brand equity. Everyone said the Taurus name was damaged goods but they were wrong.

And just because they change the name doesn't mean it won't still have Lincoln in it. That said I think the chances of a new name without Lincoln in it are extremely low.

Didn't they recently change the company name on public documents and leases to Lincoln Motor Company?

A brilliant strategy to get tongues wagging about a brand that's maybe fallen off the radar with a lot of buyers?

Think about it,

80% of dealerships prepared to sign up to dedicated Lincoln franchises, and then say you're changing the name?

Lincoln-Mercury?

They wouldn't dare....

Edited by jpd80

I don't think they would do something like that lightly and Mulally understands the value of brand equity. Everyone said the Taurus name was damaged goods but they were wrong.

And just because they change the name doesn't mean it won't still have Lincoln in it. That said I think the chances of a new name without Lincoln in it are extremely low.

Yeah, if Mulally wouldn't let them kill a name with 20 years of brand equity, I don't see how he'd let them kill a name with nearly a century of it. Stranger things have happened, I guess, but I'd also be shocked to see them no longer have Lincoln in the name.

Maybe they're talking about getting rid of the stupid MK? series of "names"...

• Like 1

Could they possibly be thinking of getting rid of the MK naming scheme? Maybe keep it for some products like the MKZ and MKX, but rename the MKS when the next gen model comes out, and call the Lincoln Explorer Aviator and so on and so forth....

I have no problems with the rebranding of the company to Lincoln Motors Company...I think it makes it a bit more distinguished without really changing the name.

Wow. "Stay Tuned" (and not "No Comment" or flat out "No") speaks volumes. Weird though.

After Mullaly demanded bringing back the soiled Taurus name based on brand equity, I can't see how this would fly.

Had that same thought about the Taurus and big Al's thought on that move!

They would be clueless if they were not "considering" it. That just means you're exploring options which is always a good thing to do. I don't think they would do something like that lightly and Mulally understands the value of brand equity. Everyone said the Taurus name was damaged goods but they were wrong.

Didn't they recently change the company name on public documents and leases to Lincoln Motor Company?

Was not aware of the "Lincoln Motor Company" issue. If that is the case, more an issue of distancing themselves from "Ford" vs. dropping an old nameplate.

I guess you could say not much different than Chrysler dropping "Dodge" from trucks and creating Ram. In their case, its an issue of distancing themselves from a "car company" and trying to strengthen their position as a unique builder of trucks-losts of luck with that effort.

Yeah, if Mulally wouldn't let them kill a name with 20 years of brand equity, I don't see how he'd let them kill a name with nearly a century of it. Stranger things have happened, I guess, but I'd also be shocked to see them no longer have Lincoln in the name.

Maybe they're talking about getting rid of the stupid MK? series of "names"...

That's the way I took it, but with all the talk of the new MKZ, I kind of doubt it, but then the new Navigator in couple years will probably still be called Navigator. And there goes Ford's lack of consistency M.O. I don't know that you can have 70% of your nameplates be MK something, and rest called Navigator and Aviator, and not be inconsistent and downright confusing in your marketing efforts. If I were Ford, I would change the name of the MKS when it's totally redesigned and get away from the failure of the MKS name altogether. MKX is meaningless name also. And when MKT is done away with, I assume new model will be called Aviator. MKZ is only name that makes sense since it was called Zephyr.

Lincoln Motor Co. would be great since Ford is the Ford Motor Co. The old Lincoln Motor Co factory is in Detroit off of Livernois Av. and I believe DTE Energy Co. uses part of the massive building now. A year or so ago there was nice thread on it in Detroit Yes Forum where forumites do great job with pics and great info on what Detroit once looked like.

they keep saying compact car.

i cannot believe that this is really a CUV, if they continue to call it a car. with the negative connotations hat the "Lincoln compact car" has on BON, why do they keep calling it a "car"

I agree!

Everything I’ve read on the MKZ keeps referring to it as Lincoln’s entry level sedan.

I was originally holding out hope for a compact Lincoln sedan and that it would become the new entry level luxury car for them but there really isn’t the room given the Fusions move up in amenities and the Focus Titanium.

they keep saying compact car.

i cannot believe that this is really a CUV, if they continue to call it a car. with the negative connotations hat the "Lincoln compact car" has on BON, why do they keep calling it a "car"

I still believe they are talking about MKEscape that supposedly goes into production at LAP sometime next year. I would assume MKEscape will be shown next month at L.A. show or NAIAS. You know Ford will show something important at NAIAS with GM showing off its next generation Corvette. Let the speculation start as auto show season is coming up fast.

I still believe they are talking about MKEscape that supposedly goes into production at LAP sometime next year. I would assume MKEscape will be shown next month at L.A. show or NAIAS. You know Ford will show something important at NAIAS with GM showing off its next generation Corvette. Let the speculation start as auto show season is coming up fast.

MKEscape is confirmed for an LA debut, likely in "concept" guise. Every source I have still says this is the only compact Lincoln in the pipeline. MKX and Aviator are the next all-new models in the next 2 years.

MKEscape is confirmed for an LA debut, likely in "concept" guise. Every source I have still says this is the only compact Lincoln in the pipeline. MKX and Aviator are the next all-new models in the next 2 years.

Makes sense to me. There is no luxury sedan slot under $36,000 base price MKZ. And if there were it would only steal sales away from MKZ, Lincoln's entry level luxury sedan. Lincoln desperately needs an entry level CUV/SUV like Ford has in Escape. That alone would boost Lincoln sales 20%+ assuming Lincoln does good job with new top hat and features. Hopefully MKEsape will be out before June so Lincoln dealers have something new to sell that should be in 3,000/month range to go along with MKZ and MKX sales. MKZ and MKEscape would be nice ONE, TWO sales punch for Lincoln. Then Ford can give full focus to replacing the moribund MKT with new MKExplorer that some are calling the Aviator.

I do hope they get rid of the MK_ naming scheme.

It's starting to look more like they are history with I don't see how they could call the next generation MKS by the same name. Ditto for MKT. Those two names are synonomous with Lincoln sales failure, not success. We will see what they call the MKEscape when it gets closer to reality. That should be tip off. I would think Ford would do it slowly as each new Lincoln hits market. As all new Lincoln stores take shape, Lincoln does need new nameplate naming scheme.

It's starting to look more like they are history with I don't see how they could call the next generation MKS by the same name. Ditto for MKT. Those two names are synonomous with Lincoln sales failure, not success. We will see what they call the MKEscape when it gets closer to reality. That should be tip off. I would think Ford would do it slowly as each new Lincoln hits market. As all new Lincoln stores take shape, Lincoln does need new nameplate naming scheme.

MKS has not been a sales failure. You're talking about fullsize luxury sedans. That's not exactly a huge segment. Would you call the Genesis and Equus sedans failures also? MKS consistently sells far better than both.

MKS has not been a sales failure. You're talking about fullsize luxury sedans. That's not exactly a huge segment. Would you call the Genesis and Equus sedans failures also? MKS consistently sells far better than both.

You argue over the stupidest bullshit Nick. MKS sales are down last few months, even after decent MCE. Hard to look at MKS sales every month while new XTS booms out of box. Every sales report posters on here remark about MKS low sales. I don't even see how MKS will remain sales relevant until next generation model hits dealerships as its sales fall every month. Yeah, I suppose Lincoln could start giving them away to bump up sales, but that may be what they have to do soon. I've heard you even say negative things about MKS. I wouldn't be surprsed to see XTS sales robbing sales away from MKS because it's newest kid on block and domestic for those who buy luxury domestic. Now I've heard a few negative reports about Cadillac's CUE system, so maybe XTS sales will tail off, but for now MKS sales look flat to worse.