2014 Corvette revealed

rmc523

Watched the live reveal.

Dead sexy....and I'm not a Corvette guy.

Even the rear looks great. They needed to move beyond the entire "this is what a Corvette has to look like" and they did it right. I'll give them kudos on this one.

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

What's the deal with the Stingray name? Doesn't even have the split back rear window.

It doesn't look that bad, don't like the busy looking tail lights and it just looks like a further evelution of the C5 corvette...I was expecting something a bit more radical like the C4 vette.

What's the deal with the Stingray name? Doesn't even have the split back rear window.

It doesn't look that bad, don't like the busy looking tail lights and it just looks like a further evelution of the C5 corvette...I was expecting something a bit more radical like the C4 vette.

StingRay was synonymous with the C2 Corvette, which only had a split rear window for 1963. The entire generation were known as Stingrays though.

Would've been more impressive had they developed a motor WITHOUT pushrods....why did GM dump Northstar over SBC design anyways?

Heavier and much more expensive to produce.

There was an Ultra V8 (DOHC) program in place before GM went Ch11. I think those engines were going to be exclusively for Cadillac, though.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Welcome to GM product planning.

I can't remember the product but this also happened a couple of years ago - I think with a promise of a diesel drivetrain that would get great fuel economy.

I could just imagine all the engineers looking at what he said going "How the hell are we going to do that?".

Welcome to GM product planning.

I can't remember the product but this also happened a couple of years ago - I think with a promise of a diesel drivetrain that would get great fuel economy.

I could just imagine all the engineers looking at what he said going "How the hell are we going to do that?".

LOL, at the rate things are going, the vehicle you could be talking about might be the Cruze....

I think the new Vette looks good from the front (you can tell its a Vette). It starts to get derivative and overdone in the middle. Its a hot mess at the back.

Why are there Camaro taillights on a Vette?? That just seems so................. wrong. Whats next, Camaro taillights on the Silverado?? (after all, they are on the Malibu and now the Vette)

why did GM dump Northstar over SBC design anyways?

The Northstar design was terrible.

Rather than cast a deep skirt block with conventional cross-bolted mains, they cast a separate bottom end incorporating the bearing caps that had to be bolted onto the bottom of the block with the oil pan bolted on beneath it, requiring this whole other set of gaskets, which weren't reliable (old Northstars are notorious for oil leaks). Further, despite all that complexity (or perhaps because of it), the bottom end wasn't all that robust. Despite that huge, heavy bottom end, the Northstar couldn't accept forced induction.

As to the design of this Corvette: I'm not a fan, but then again, I'm not a fan of *any* 'super car' design these days except the Aston Martin coupes, and they (again, IMO) look so good that they make every other super car look like a train wreck in comparison. Thirty-five years ago, who knew that the Countach, and not the 512BB, would be the defining super car of the era?

Attached is a brief sketch of what I mean:

post-15194-0-95550300-1358442272_thumb.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen

I wonder, GM design attracts a lot of lookers but when they see that most ATS cost $50 and Corvettes run well over that, it's no thanks,

No, no - you don't understand. There are people on Facebook who say they LOVE this car. People post in online blogs and replies to articles that they LOVE this car. Doesn't that automatically translate into record breaking sales? Or are you saying that just because people say they like something or want it doesn't mean they're actually willing to purchase it?