New Light & Medium Duty News

On 3/19/2013 at 6:17 PM, Joe771476 said:

First, if anybody like Bob R and 7Mary want to give a Ford truck bigwig a piece of their mind, then write to Len Deluca, Director, Ford Commercial Vehicles, 16800 Executive Plaza Drive, Regent Court Building 6N464, Dearborn MI, 48126. Found this address on a Ford truck magazine sent to current truck customers. Also, Work Truck magazine had a 4 page ad for Roush propane conversions showing all the Ford vehicles in which its offered, including stripped chassis, van, F-series and Bluebird Vision school buses usin the V10. It soon will be available in the F650 and Transit. It was an impressive ad. Also, a 5 page ad for Ram Commercial truck appeared. I read a few months ago that Marchione form Fiat was ramping up repair facilities at dealerships to accomodate the commercial truck customer. He offically announced the creation of Ram Commercial Truck this week I believe.

Amazing that this thread is still going strong over 10 years on!! Thank you @Joe771476 for starting one of the most compelling threads on BON

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 8:11 AM, akirby said:

Looks like silvrsvt hid the topic but you still have 50 pages to go to match this topic as the longest.  It was active for 12 years. ?

mlhm5

Mlhm5: I want to say the same thing over and over again

By mlhm5,  November 10, 2008 in Ford Motor Company Discussion Forum 

Well, to be fair...I said "Most compelling" and not "just plain coo-coo" but that was a fun thread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twintornados said:

Well, to be fair...I said "Most compelling" and not "just plain coo-coo" but that was a fun thread.

I was only talking about longevity since I’ve been keeping an eye on this topic and comparing the two for a couple of years now.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, twintornados said:

The LCF would have done much better had it been given a proper motor instead of a crappy powerstroke with two cylinders chopped off.

Understatement.  The Mazda-sourced cab unsuitable for drivers over 5'9" was probably a mistake too.

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

Understatement.  The Mazda-sourced cab unsuitable for drivers over 5'9" was probably a mistake too.

Both TT and your comment valid.  I see more and more Hino and Isuzu class 5/6 's running around.  There IS a market IMO for a class 5-7 LCF.  Make the unskilled "driver" more productive instead of pushing 60" of hood in  front of him.

I've probably commented before on this but when Ford had a 550 E series with a solid front axle a dealer friend finally got a non Ford account to try a couple..they loved them then Ford pulls the plug.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Both TT and your comment valid.  I see more and more Hino and Isuzu class 5/6 's running around.  There IS a market IMO for a class 5-7 LCF.  Make the unskilled "driver" more productive instead of pushing 60" of hood in  front of him.

I've probably commented before on this but when Ford had a 550 E series with a solid front axle a dealer friend finally got a non Ford account to try a couple..they loved them then Ford pulls the plug.

The E-550 can be marketed as a formidable competitor to Hino and Isuzu in the LCF market and massaged up to an E-600 for further market competition. 

On 10/27/2023 at 4:35 PM, twintornados said:

The E-550 can be marketed as a formidable competitor to Hino and Isuzu in the LCF market and massaged up to an E-600 for further market competition. 

To a certain extent a class 4/5 E series could play in that space, but I still see significant advantages to the Isuzu/Chevy/Hino LCF's.  Shorter BBC, tighter turning radius, 3 person cab, no need to fabricate a back wall for the cab if required, very easy upfit, reasonably sized 4 cylinder diesel availability, and generally speaking a robust commercial vehicle with great resale.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

FWIW: As part of the UAW agreement, the Mediums are continuing on, and Ohio appears to be getting a new EV van.

image.thumb.png.42068e34129eed9d9447adfebe6d814d.png

Yes and what is worth noting is OAP is getting the biggest chunk 2.1 billion.  Now I know a "new EV Van" will not be petty cash but hopefully there will be a few bucks for mediums.  

Also if you look at what the Union posted, they refer to the 2.1 B but also reference an 8B number for OAP.

I have to say, talk about mixed signals when it comes to EV's.  At least that is what I see.  I saw something the other day that was attributed to some international think tank that basically said the stated electrification goals are in a word unattainable given the TOTAL cost that must be addressed.

I'll try to find it.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 11:20 PM, 7Mary3 said:

To a certain extent a class 4/5 E series could play in that space, but I still see significant advantages to the Isuzu/Chevy/Hino LCF's.  Shorter BBC, tighter turning radius, 3 person cab, no need to fabricate a back wall for the cab if required, very easy upfit, reasonably sized 4 cylinder diesel availability, and generally speaking a robust commercial vehicle with great resale.  

back wall of cab is available

https://www.cabbacks.com/ford

image.jpeg.38bbf6ccca3b3fb978980c762b040d54.jpeg

Edited by twintornados

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Looks like Ford is joining Isuzu in having their medium duty diesels banned in California.

Yes, it's getting interesting here.  Isuzu will continue to offer Cummins diesel powered FTR and FVR (Chevy LCF 6500 and 7500) trucks in California for the 2025MY, but not the 4HK1 powered N series trucks.   

Also noticed the Pro-Loader 650 models are discontinued.  Their place is taken by the F-600 anyway.  No air brake option for gasoline powered models, looks like Ford gave up on that idea.     

32 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

Yes, it's getting interesting here.  Isuzu will continue to offer Cummins diesel powered FTR and FVR (Chevy LCF 6500 and 7500) trucks in California for the 2025MY, but not the 4HK1 powered N series trucks.   

Also noticed the Pro-Loader 650 models are discontinued.  Their place is taken by the F-600 anyway.  No air brake option for gasoline powered models, looks like Ford gave up on that idea.     

I thought the diesel ban in CA and Oregon was  effective in '25??