Is Ford Dropping the Taurus?

If cost is an issue, why not simply the car as suggested earlier,

AWD? SHO? Single engine choice? simplify Trim levels?

A RWD variant wouldoffer sparation between the Fusion/mondeo, offer a replacement for Falcon, and offer a flagship sedan for Europe.

I can't believe you guys are giving this much credit to a TTAC article.

Wow.

Must be a slow news day.

Ford, more than other huge, full line manufacturers, is willing to keep vehicles that don't sell hundreds of thousands a year....................... as long as they are profitable. Seeing as how Taurus is moving to CD4, and will share its development costs over a wide spectrum of vehicles, it will be fine. It is a very recognizable nameplate, and unlike GM, Ford doesn't like to play in the "nameplate of the month" sandbox.

• Like 2

That's like giving the price range of the BMW 3-series without mentioning the M3. It's dishonest. It's a Taurus. It's available. It counts. If the Fusion ST was out already, fine, they sit on even ground. But the SHO is precisely one of the reasons the Taurus is still relevant on the retail radar compared to the Fusion.

pull SHO sales numbers.......

That's like giving the price range of the BMW 3-series without mentioning the M3. It's dishonest. It's a Taurus. It's available. It counts. If the Fusion ST was out already, fine, they sit on even ground. But the SHO is precisely one of the reasons the Taurus is still relevant on the retail radar compared to the Fusion.

Se to SE, SEL to SEL, Titanium to Limited.....? to SHO ( must stop drooling )....lol

If cost is an issue, why not simply the car as suggested earlier,

AWD? SHO? Single engine choice? simplify Trim levels?

A RWD variant wouldoffer sparation between the Fusion/mondeo, offer a replacement for Falcon, and offer a flagship sedan for Europe.

I keep seeing Europe as a market mentioned in this thread - the Taurus in RWD or FWD isn't going to find a market in Europe, the vehicle is just too big. China is where you will see a market for a car like the Taurus even more so than the US, a large rear seat room would make perfect sense for the market. Ford even had a couple LWB Mondeo prototypes done with the last Mondeo. I'm thinking Ford has a few options as to what to do with the next Taurus/Explorer/Falcon/Territory/MKS. The MKT/Flex are pretty much confirmed dead, though I could see the Flex names used on the next Galaxy if it shows up in the NA market, Also a possibly a larger Lincoln Flagship -- remember there was a car in development above the MKS that was canceled that could add some High ATP profitable models to the platform esp in the China market. If you can get the platform up to 400K units worldwide you could see a GRWD platform done High ATP's as was as a capable version to get the Explorer/Territory/Lincoln version on that platform.

It all comes down to World Market Research - China is a major player now in vehicle development esp for a vehicle like this which would be its major market.

Taurus sells well here in Metro Detroit, but there seems to be inordinate amount of SHO's in inventory. No EB 2.0's on lot either. I hope Ford keeps the Taurus in lineup though. Choice is good. And I doubt if Ford loses money on it unless they think they can make more money making more Explorers at CAP.

They sell very well here in the Southeast too, specifically in Georgia. I haven't been able to pick out the 2.0EB models that I see on the roads, but I see mostly SELs and SHOs.

Main point: they sell SOMEwhere. :)

They sell very well here in the Southeast too, specifically in Georgia. I haven't been able to pick out the 2.0EB models that I see on the roads, but I see mostly SELs and SHOs.

Main point: they sell SOMEwhere. :)

question, what % are AWD? .........remember also, Californians are WAY too wrapped up in the image they present, i doubt people from georgia are so vain....

Edited by Deanh

I see a lot of them around here in northern New-Brunswick. Most of them are AWD. Lots of SEL and there's one SHO around town.

bingo...and exactly how many vehicles in this class are available in AWD......may explain better numbers in certain states....

• Like 1

question, what % are AWD? .........remember also, Californians are WAY too wrapped up in the image they present, i doubt people from georgia are so vain....

Here, primarily the SHOs. Otherwise, AWD is about as useful here as it is there.

As far as vain Californians, that's their problem. :ohsnap:

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

There are a lot of them running around here in AZ, also.

In the Phoenix metro area, I doubt there are a lot of AWD's, unless they are a SHO. Here in Payson, quite a few also, almost all of which are AWD. High end limited models seem to do the best here, and that is mainly what our local Ford store stocks.

Point being, the Taurus does very well in its segment, despite its flaws. They don't "only" sell because they offer AWD. A lot of people really like them, and I hear good comments about the car all the time.

So Ford should ignore CA? CA is like Europe in some regards in that at that price point they go to BMW, Audi etc. It's not a good idea for Ford to stick their heads in the sand!

There are a lot of them running around here in AZ, also.

In the Phoenix metro area, I doubt there are a lot of AWD's, unless they are a SHO. Here in Payson, quite a few also, almost all of which are AWD. High end limited models seem to do the best here, and that is mainly what our local Ford store stocks.

Point being, the Taurus does very well in its segment, despite its flaws. They don't "only" sell because they offer AWD. A lot of people really like them, and I hear good comments about the car all the time.

Did you even read the subject heading of this thread? It wasn't about how popular the Taurus was in Payton, AZ, but about why Ford may be dropping the Taurus when it comes up for a significant investment in redesign. The Ranger, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Town Car, LS, Aviator, and on and on sold well here in Ford land, but guess what, Ford dropped them anyway. How many years does the Flex have left even though Dean tells us how well it sells in CA? I'm not privvy to what Ford will do with Taurus when it comes up for redesign soon, but I sure wouldn't be shocked if Ford ditches it and puts it in trash heap of many Ford fallen flags so to speak. Last 10 years or so, seems like Ford ditches up to 4 logos for each new one it debuts.

Did you even read the subject heading of this thread? It wasn't about how popular the Taurus was in Payton, AZ, but about why Ford may be dropping the Taurus when it comes up for a significant investment in redesign. The Ranger, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Town Car, LS, Aviator, and on and on sold well here in Ford land, but guess what, Ford dropped them anyway. How many years does the Flex have left even though Dean tells us how well it sells in CA? I'm not privvy to what Ford will do with Taurus when it comes up for redesign soon, but I sure wouldn't be shocked if Ford ditches it and puts it in trash heap of many Ford fallen flags so to speak. Last 10 years or so, seems like Ford ditches up to 4 logos for each new one it debuts.

Translation = Have I told you about my Porsche lately??

• Like 1

Translation = Have I told you about my Porsche lately??

Translation = Have you read Ford's SUPERSEGMENT article yet? Guess what, Ford doesn't include Taurus in its supersegment label. I will start thinking about the above in May, not yet. Too fricking cold every day.

Translation = Have you read Ford's SUPERSEGMENT article yet? Guess what, Ford doesn't include Taurus in its supersegment label. I will start thinking about the above in May, not yet. Too fricking cold every day.

Yes, I did....quoting the article:

The supersegment is the combination of four segments — subcompact, compact, midsize and compact SUV — developed internally by Ford to show dealers the biggest growth segments in the industry. Sales within those segments make up slightly more than half of all new-vehicle sales.

Makes sense why Taurus was not mentioned in that report by Ford since they were talking about vehicles that are not classified as large sedans.

But, further down in the article, Taurus does get a mention by the reporter...

The supersegment has grown at the expense of large cars, like the Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maximaicon1.png, Ford Taurus and Chevrolet Impala, sales of which have continually declined.

....now, about your Porsche....

• Like 2

Translation = Ford doesn't reinvest in segments "in continual decline." Witness minivan, large RWD sedans, and small pickup segments. Sometimes Ford will get stubborn like with wagons like Freestyle, Taurus X, Flex, and even big vehicles like Taurus/MKS, but their patience and purse strings get tight if market doesn't show lots of life. Oh well, everything has a defined life span.

Translation = Ford doesn't reinvest in segments "in continual decline." Witness minivan, large RWD sedans, and small pickup segments. Sometimes Ford will get stubborn like with wagons like Freestyle, Taurus X, Flex, and even big vehicles like Taurus/MKS, but their patience and purse strings get tight if market doesn't show lots of life. Oh well, everything has a defined life span.

If that was the case (at the problem of sounding like Biker) why didn't they kill the Mustang off this next gen?

The "problem" is that Taurus can easily still be built on a modified CD4 platform with the Edge and I'd assume the Explorer.

• Like 1

Why thank you Sargent Sarcasm.

Did you bother reading the posts in the threads which talked about how many Taurus's are being seen in various markets?? I guess not. However, feel free to read them, then get back to me.

I find it highly humorous that you are complaining about a thread being derailed, when you are one of the biggest derailers on this site. Not to mention that you have decided that an article by TTAC is 100% valid, as it plays into your "Ford and everyone running Ford are a bunch of flaming idiots," theory.

BTW, it is Payson, not Payton.

Also...didn't Ford just announce that Taurus and MKS production for their next-generations would move to Flat Rock?

It was not announced.

However, from what i have seen, Taurus was scheduled for TWo plants.

That could however just mean the PI will stay in current form til the Explorer goes to CD4.

_____

AS JPD said, CD4.3 is all set. Taurus, MkS, Explorer, Lincoln Explorer.