Report: 2015 F150 Drops Fully Boxed Frame

Interesting development if true, I am left wondering what changes will be made to the frame structure to maintain or increase strength...

My guess would be same route used with class 6,7,8 trucks. frame strength is a function of size/design and steel yield strength. You can have a huge LOOKING frame but if it is built with say low strength steel (say 50,000 PSI steel) it can have LESS strength than a smaller (and lighter) frame built with 80,000 or 120,000 PSI steel.

• Like 3

My guess would be same route used with class 6,7,8 trucks. frame strength is a function of size/design and steel yield strength. You can have a huge LOOKING frame but if it is built with say low strength steel (say 50,000 PSI steel) it can have LESS strength than a smaller (and lighter) frame built with 80,000 or 120,000 PSI steel.

Prediction would be hydroformed fully boxed from radiator support to under the cab structure, then high strength "C" channel from rear of cab to rear of truck...it would give them (if you will excuse the unintended pun) flexibility in the manufacturing process for multiple length chassis designs to use common hydroformed front frame structures...Those high strength rear "C" sections may also migrate over to Transit FS in the cab/chassis using a common attachment point from "C" section to cab section connections....interesting times indeed to be a design engineer at FoMoCo...

Fully boxed frame was always a big marketing point for them. I hope they have a great reason for changing direction.

A couple hundred pounds, maybe? Like you said it was marketing, but at the same time, if they can get a 25 MPG highway F-150 out of the deal, I think that would be a even bigger plus then a fully boxed frame.

I don't think they'll depart if it weakens the frame.

One of the things to consider in this pickup 'arms-race' is that people who use the full capacity of a truck and then some will not respond well if the new truck they just purchased is incapable of performing tasks that their older truck performed. Expectations that Ford will significantly reduce capability for some other purpose seem unlikely to be met.

And, of course, you market the change this way: "The frame of the new Ford F150 with Nanoreinforced Super Steel (or some other nonsense) is 25% stiffer than the previous F150", and don't even talk about the fully boxed frame (which Ford hasn't really talked about much since both GM and Dodge now have the same feature).

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

That's my concern, too. Perhaps with increased use of high-strength steel, a fully boxed frame isn't needed anymore?

Maybe not. They had the chief engineer of the new Corvette on Autoline After Hours last week. I found it interesting that the frame of the new C7 'Vette varies in thickness depending on how much load it may get. I believe he said that low-stress areas of the frame are only one centimeter thick while high-stress areas are ten centimeters thick (from memory, so don't quote me on this). Ford may do the same with the new F-150.

• Like 1

Maybe not. They had the chief engineer of the new Corvette on Autoline After Hours last week. I found it interesting that the frame of the new C7 'Vette varies in thickness depending on how much load it may get. I believe he said that low-stress areas of the frame are only one centimeter thick while high-stress areas are ten centimeters thick (from memory, so don't quote me on this). Ford may do the same with the new F-150.

BTW, He meant millimeters not centimeters.

• Like 1

if, if, its somehow modular, could there be different cab back frames dependent on capcities?.....perhaps the max Trailer tow and heavy duty payload packages will remain fully boxed?.....

Sounds right, frame rigidity is the key here, not whether the frame is a box or a C section.

The box is easier to guarantee rigidity but no reason to completely dismiss parts of the frme being C section - if designed correctly.

I get the feeling that other companies designed in chassis flex to improve comfort in their trucks but maybe

buers prioritize that perceived strngth of a rigid frame as more important, Ford has hte job ahead of them

to convince everyone that they can lighten F150 without hurting its perception - fingers crossed they do.:)

Also, one thing to keep in mind about boxed frames is the rust issue. It is difficult to properly coat the entire inside surface, and moisture and corrosive agents get trapped inside. And when using thinner gage AHSS, your corrosion allowance is much less. I see more corrosion problems with boxed frames (and boxed sections of frames) than channel frames once things get past 5 years old.

Does this put a final nail in the coffin of the next gen Super Duty ever going fully boxed?

In trucks like Superduty and on up, I don't think you will see them ever going to a fully boxed frame.

Does it need one?

The reason SD hasn't changed from C Channel is because it makes fitting out trucks with custom rears much easier.

Exactly why E-Series will live on in cut-a-way cab/chassis in heavier versions...i.e.:E-250/350/450 etc etc. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford designed a version of Transit cab to be fitted on an E-Series style chassis in a few years....

This will put an end to the retorts that if the F-150 fully boxed frame is so good why isn't the Super Duty and the idiots who say

they will never buy a new Super Duty unless has an all new fully boxed like GM. Ford will have the most most capable, smoothest riding, and most

upfitter friendly frames.