2015 Ford Edge Concept Introduced

Lincoln also said 3.7 V6 was exclusive for MKS and MKT and now it is in a Ford pickup truck and will soon be in a Ford van.

It's in the MKZ, MKX, Mustang, and Edge Sport also. I don't think Lincoln or Ford ever said the 3.7 would be a "Lincoln-only" engine, just that it (like the 2.3 in the MKC) would be exclusive in its respective segment within the company (which it still is on most cases, save for the Edge Sport).

It all depends on the buyers...the 3.5/3.7L still have plenty of life in them design wise. I don't see them getting phased out anytime soon, esp since the Ecoboost versions are more or less V8 replacement engines.

I totally agree. I'm not saying 3.5/3.7 is finished.

But I think you will see that these engine will be reserved for applications on the truck side of the business and as V8 replacements in Ford's passenger vehicles. So I fully expect there will be some version of 3.5/3.7 upgraded with direct injection in Mustang and Expedition for example as well as F-150 and Transit. But I would be highly skeptical about non-turbo 3.5 V6 in the next Edge when 2.3 Ecoboost will offer more torque and likely net Ford better CAFE results.

Its pretty obvious that the 2.3EB is a replacement for the 3.5NA, just as the 2.0EB was a replacement for the 3.0V6. EcoBoost is not just about replacing V8s with V6s, but in terms of volume it is arguably more importantly about replacing V6s with I4s. Also its pretty obvious Ford didn't put the money into developing the 2.3EB just to put it in the low volume MKC. The business case falls apart as you don't have the volume to amortize the development costs. People won't notice if the sister Lincoln and Fords are sharing lower level engines, as long as the top engine choice is a Lincoln exclusive. And like the MKZ people didn't care that the 3.7V6 is in plebeian Ford models as long as it wasn't in the Fusion. So with that in mind consider the following:

Fusion engines: 2.5I4 FWD only, 1.6EB FWD only, 2.0EB FWD/AWD

MKZ engines: 2.0EB FWD/AWD and exclusive 3.7V6 FWD/AWD

Escape engines: 2.5I4 FWD only, 1.6EB FWD/AWD, 2.0EB FWD/AWD

MKC engines: 2.0EB FWD/AWD and exclusive 2.3EB FWD/AWD

Proposed

Edge engines: 2.0EB with FWD only and 2.3EB with FWD/AWD

MKX engines: 2.3EB FWD/AWD and exclusive 3.7 FWD/AWD

Its pretty obvious that the 2.3EB is a replacement for the 3.5NA, just as the 2.0EB was a replacement for the 3.0V6. EcoBoost is not just about replacing V8s with V6s, but in terms of volume it is arguably more importantly about replacing V6s with I4s. Also its pretty obvious Ford didn't put the money into developing the 2.3EB just to put it in the low volume MKC. The business case falls apart as you don't have the volume to amortize the development costs. People won't notice if the sister Lincoln and Fords are sharing lower level engines, as long as the top engine choice is a Lincoln exclusive. And like the MKZ people didn't care that the 3.7V6 is in plebeian Ford models as long as it wasn't in the Fusion. So with that in mind consider the following:

Fusion engines: 2.5I4 FWD only, 1.6EB FWD only, 2.0EB FWD/AWD

MKZ engines: 2.0EB FWD/AWD and exclusive 3.7V6 FWD/AWD

Escape engines: 2.5I4 FWD only, 1.6EB FWD/AWD, 2.0EB FWD/AWD

MKC engines: 2.0EB FWD/AWD and exclusive 2.3EB FWD/AWD

Proposed

Edge engines: 2.0EB with FWD only and 2.3EB with FWD/AWD

MKX engines: 2.3EB FWD/AWD and exclusive 3.7 FWD/AWD

Swap the 2.3 in for the 2.0 in the MKZ and that's almost exactly what I was proposing. But I think you could keep the 3.5 in the edge instead of the 2.3. It needs the extra power.

Ford - 2.0 - 3.5

Lincoln 2.3 - 3.7

For the cd4 based vehicles.

Ford 1.6 - 2.0

Lincoln 2.0 - 2.3

For focus/escape based vehicles.

• Like 2

The one for me will be whether Ford puts the 2.3 Ecoboost in the 2015 F150 as a face off against Silverado's 4.3 V6.

I;m betting that a lighter F150 with the fiel efficient 2.3 EB would eclipse the '14 Silverado's fuel economy edge.

We may be looking at an F150 that gets 26 mpg and can still tow better than 7,000 lb, without a diesel premium.

Edited by jpd80

I still have concerns that the "Lincoln only" new 2.3EB is only equivalent in hp to the same turbo four you can get in mid-level KIA and Hyundai sedans. I'd like it to be in the Fusion relatively soon, maybe the Escape as well...possibly letting the Nano be the "new Lincoln" motor for a year or two.

One problem Ford had for a long time was aiming for the middle of a segment, instead of their new product being a leader. I know, I know, it'll come down to all the combined interior, styling, marketing, options, ride/handling, etc...but some people like numbers besides mpg, and I prefer it when Ford's at the leading edge of as many facets as possible.

I still have concerns that the "Lincoln only" new 2.3EB is only equivalent in hp to the same turbo four you can get in mid-level KIA and Hyundai sedans. I'd like it to be in the Fusion relatively soon, maybe the Escape as well...possibly letting the Nano be the "new Lincoln" motor for a year or two.

One problem Ford had for a long time was aiming for the middle of a segment, instead of their new product being a leader. I know, I know, it'll come down to all the combined interior, styling, marketing, options, ride/handling, etc...but some people like numbers besides mpg, and I prefer it when Ford's at the leading edge of as many facets as possible.

Look at the torque. If you lower the torque curve you automatically lower the hp. I'll take more torque at lower rpm over more hp at higher rpm.

Good point about the MKZ using 2.3EB as an upgrade to the base configuration... The 2.0EB could be considered a bit low on power compared to the base Lexus ES and Acura TL engines. In addition Ford is likely looking at the 2.3EB in a Fusion ST, and maybe a Focus RS.

2.3EB rating is 275hp @ 5500 rpm and 300 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm compared to the 3.5V6 rating of 285 hp @ 6500 and 253 lbf @ 4000... I think driving wise the 2.3EB will seem to run out of breath earlier, but will have as good if not better leap off the line... I would think this could be compensated by gear selection.

North American vehicles and buyer expectations are different to their European counterparts,

it stands to reason that the 2.3 EB would be a better regional choice for North America

I can 't see this being an exclusive Lincoln engine for too long, only in certain models.

Edited by jpd80

Well, it could be a "Lincoln exclusive engine"...hmmm for a few months. Dont be surprised if it really debuts on the MKC and they can go with the whole "Exclusive" thing for a few months before its introduced in the Mustang. Maybe they'll release the Mustang with the V6 and V8, then when this "Lincoln Exclusive" engine comes out on the MKC for some months after, maybe a year Ford can then brag, "OH new SVO version with a 2.3L".

Or they can give Lincoln some other name other than Egoboost, maybe something that sounds less whimpy, with better breathing capabilities and extract a bit more HP. I guess we'll wait to see the outcome.

Or in my case, my two daughters that when they were toddlers would leave a mess of toys everywhere they went...hence the twin tornados.....

Having 3 sets of singles, I'm not sure how we would have handled twins. A buddy I've known since I was a wee lad has two sets of twins. His address is "Twins Lane."

• Like 1