Official 2015 Mustang Info!

What I found odd was they are showing the convertible with that stupid antenna in the back along with the pod on the trunk-any insight on that?

Separate antennae for AM/FM and sat/nav would be my guess. I just don't think sticking a mast antenna in the middle of the decklid (or on the leading edge of the roof) would work on the Mustang style-wise.

Separate antennae for AM/FM and sat/nav would be my guess. I just don't think sticking a mast antenna in the middle of the decklid (or on the leading edge of the roof) would work on the Mustang style-wise.

Still not sure why they can't figure out how to put them both in one like everyone else.

Still not sure why they can't figure out how to put them both in one like everyone else.

Its kinda strange, but after reading this and watching the video, the Ecoboost I4 doesn't have a rear hip annenata, but the V8 infront of it did like the convertible. I don't understand why they can't just have one antenna on the car and move it to the deck lid if its a convertible.

Most convertibles (which are luxury cars for the most part), if I recall, that only have one external antenna have the AM/FM mast located in the glass, which simply costs more. They could put them both in the same mast like they do on all their sedans and SUV's, but like I said, I think it would just look odd on the Mustang.

Just saw a video on Fox News with the chief engineer on the project and he is mentioning that they have one more surprise coming on the vehicle....wonder what that could be?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2897489942001/secrets-of-the-2015-ford-mustang/?intcmp=HPBucket&playlist_id=931078438001

I think the vehicle looks great and could be the answer to my mid life crisis! Think the details are excellent and it shows all around. What I found odd was they are showing the convertible with that stupid antenna in the back along with the pod on the trunk-any insight on that?

Ridiculously high MPG?

Did they state there is a 200lb weight loss across the model range? Or does the 200lb weight loss come from there now being a 4 cylinder model that accounts for a good chunk of the 200lbs?

I don't think the 200 pounds is an official number. I read one report that said the internal weight reduction goal Ford had set had been met. They didn't mention any numbers.

Hemm, not sure what you mean but everyone uses 2 antenna. Some even have 3 antenna. AM/FM always uses a separate antenna from satellite radio or navigation system.

Most convertibles (which are luxury cars for the most part), if I recall, that only have one external antenna have the AM/FM mast located in the glass, which simply costs more. They could put them both in the same mast like they do on all their sedans and SUV's, but like I said, I think it would just look odd on the Mustang.

Can't embed in the rear window on a convertible... radio reception goes south when you lower the top :runaway:

Most convertibles have AM/FM antenna embedded in the A-pillar... like on my BMW. And the sat-nav/Sirius antenna is on the trunk lid.

Hemm, not sure what you mean but everyone uses 2 antenna. Some even have 3 antenna. AM/FM always uses a separate antenna from satellite radio or navigation system.

Can't embed in the rear window on a convertible... radio reception goes south when you lower the top :runaway:

Most convertibles have AM/FM antenna embedded in the A-pillar... like on my BMW. And the sat-nav/Sirius antenna is on the trunk lid.

I believe that's what nick meant (have it in the a pillar or something and then the shark fin type on the trunk lid). That's also what I was getting at. If there needs to be two antennas for the radio and nav, so be it, but find a better way to integrate the radio one. The MKZ has the same problem and it cheapens the look there too.

I don't think the 200 pounds is an official number. I read one report that said the internal weight reduction goal Ford had set had been met. They didn't mention any numbers.

The current V6 mustang is around 100 lbs lighter than a V8 and in FWD models like Edge, the 2.0 EB is around 100 lbs lighter than a V6.

So even if the V8 Mustang remains around 3600 lbs, the that would mean the 2.3 EB Mustang is around 3400 lbs.....

That sounds similar to the lightest version of ATS....

Edited by jpd80

The current V6 mustang is around 100 lbs lighter than a V8 and in FWD models like Edge, the 2.0 EB is around 100 lbs lighter than a V6.

So even if the V8 Mustang remains around 3600 lbs, the that would mean the 2.3 EB Mustang is around 3400 lbs.....

That sounds similar to the lightest version of ATS....

So JPD, what's the Aussie press saying about the 2015 Mustang?

Since no motor in the new Mustang is rated under 300 HP...wouldn't that kinda drive away the younger crowd that may want a Mustang, but their insurance company will be saying "No no no...." I would think a 2.5L naturally aspirated 4 cylinder rated at 175 HP would be just the ticket (no pun intended) to a more sedate Mustang for the rest of the world.....remember, in 1982 when Ford brought back the 302 H.O. motor for Mustang...it was rated at 175 HP.....the 2.5L could be paired with either a 6 speed auto and a 6 speed manual for the DIY'ers in the group...

Or, maybe a nice 3.0L Duratec rated at 240-250 HP...or for that matter, the 2.0L Ecoboost is rated at 240 HP....drop that in as another choice....

Edited by twintornados

Since no motor in the new Mustang is rated under 300 HP...wouldn't that kinda drive away the younger crowd that may want a Mustang, but their insurance company will be saying "No no no...." I would think a 2.5L naturally aspirated 4 cylinder rated at 175 HP would be just the ticket (no pun intended) to a more sedate Mustang for the rest of the world.....remember, in 1982 when Ford brought back the 302 H.O. motor for Mustang...it was rated at 175 HP.....the 2.5L could be paired with either a 6 speed auto and a 6 speed manual for the DIY'ers in the group...

Or, maybe a nice 3.0L Duratec rated at 240-250 HP...or for that matter, the 2.0L Ecoboost is rated at 240 HP....drop that in as another choice....

I was but a fetus in 1982...

But I don't think insurance companies would look so much at HP levels when determining their rates in this case. They'll see "Mustang" and jack it up.

• Like 1

The 1982 5.0L HO was rated at 157 hp with a 2V carb. Pretty sure the weight was some where in the 2900 lb area. The 1983-84 5.0L was 175 hp with a Holley 4V carb.

• Like 1

How is that different than now where the Base V6 is 305 hp?

Yep, that's where it was in our '77 Olds Cutlass.

Not surprisingly my first car was a 75 cutlass (baby blue w/white vinyl top and blue velour interior). Was the 77 the old body style or the new smaller body style? My buddy had a 78 that was the new style but I couldn't remember if they changed in 77 or 78.

Not surprisingly my first car was a 75 cutlass (baby blue w/white vinyl top and blue velour interior). Was the 77 the old body style or the new smaller body style? My buddy had a 78 that was the new style but I couldn't remember if they changed in 77 or 78.

The '77 was a boat! It was red with red vinyl top and red interior. I was born in '76, so about the only thing I remember of it is dad lifting up the back see and seeing the ground through the floor. He gave it to my sister to drive shortly after that when my mom got a T-Bird.

My brother still hasn't let me live it down. "When you came along, we had to get rid of the Mustang (they had a gold early seventies model I think) to get the Cutlass so there was room for you!" :)

• Like 1

The '77 was a boat! It was red with red vinyl top and red interior. I was born in '76, so about the only thing I remember of it is dad lifting up the back see and seeing the ground through the floor. He gave it to my sister to drive shortly after that when my mom got a T-Bird.

My brother still hasn't let me live it down. "When you came along, we had to get rid of the Mustang (they had a gold early seventies model I think) to get the Cutlass so there was room for you!" :)

LOL, with our family, it was the opposite. My Mom was driving a 65 Mustang, my Dad, a 57 T-Bird. When my sister and I were larger, we sold the T-Bird, my Dad took over the Mustang and we bought my Mom a 2-door 69 LTD Brougham with a 429.