Last 4.6 rolls off the line

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ford-rolls-final-4-6-liter-v8-assembly-line/

These really were good solid durable engines imo and much better than the 5.4's. Again, just my opinion. They are thirsty for their size though. I have a 3v in a Mustang and it has been as reliable as the sun coming up in the east everyday. I remember like yesterday when they came out in the 96 Mustangs and the Mustang community screamed bloody murder and I was one of them! I wanted no part of them. They evolved and by I think 1999 they finally made decent power with the PI heads.

I had an 03 Mustang Mach 1 powered by the 4V 4.6 and while the car (Sn95) was not all that hot the engine was a real screamer for its day and would match LS1's tit for tat. My 06 is a much better overall car but its no match for the 03 Mach 1 in a drag race. Still, is respectable and I dont care all that much about quarter mile times these days.

Then, there was the terminator. What a hot rod that was back in 2003. There were a lot of versions of this engine.

I just think of all of the Crown Vic Police cars and cabs powered by this engine. You still see them everywhere. Im not sure it was the best thing when it came out but Ford did a pretty good job with the evolution of it.

I chuckled at this comment: "Mods where good motors and lasted a long time, but where a pain to work on. I'm so glad to see the coyote 5.0."

Dude probably thinks the Coyote is an OHV engine, just like the one in that Vanilla Ice tune.

• Like 3

I'm being lazy and didn't read the article. What vehicle did it go into? I thought the 4.6L was done a long time ago.

It doesn't say, but I'd have to guess that it was either for the E-150 or for a non-automotive contract. The only Ford vehicles left using Mod Motors at all were the E-Series, Navigator, and Expedition, and the latter two were only running the 5.4, IIRC.

It doesn't say, but I'd have to guess that it was either for the E-150 or for a non-automotive contract. The only Ford vehicles left using Mod Motors at all were the E-Series, Navigator, and Expedition, and the latter two were only running the 5.4, IIRC.

The 5.8 in the GT500 is a mod motor too!

• Like 1

I bet there are some casual car fans who 'swear' that the new 5.0 is "the same" as the OHV 302. "They brought it back due to popular demand!"

Some think the metric CC displacement # is some kind of "model #" for engines.

Another example was some who 'swore' that the 2.5 V6 in Contour SVT's was a "Mazda 2.5, it's the same motor #"

The 4.6L engine was good for its time, however, it's simply no match for the 5.0L Coyote. The 5.0L is far more efficient and durable in comparison. Keep an eye on that 5.0L because you're going to see some cool stuff coming out.

I'll bet you're refering to the "Voodoo V8" based on the Coyote platform. Something like 5.2 litres, flat plane crankshaft, and 550 NA horsepower with an 8000 rpm redline. Close?

Axle17 wrote that he had a Grand Marquis that went over 200,000 miles towing a trailer... That's good.

That's nothing, I own a 2001 Lincoln Town Car with 470,000 on the original 4.6L motor, with the original trans. If you use Mobil 1 in it. It's gonna last! And it still gets about 28mpg's on the highway on average. Sometimes 30 mpg.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon
  • Like 2