2013 cop truck. ...car sales .

The Explorer PI took top honors (14,000) followed closely and surprisingly by the Tahoe(13,600).

Charger took it for the top selling sedan but 3rd overall (12,000), the Taurus took 4th (10,900), Impala an distant 5th (4,281) Caprice a close 6th (3800) and Durango ssv last (600).

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/05/few-charger-squads-sold-in-13

Im my city the Explore PI seems to be the new ride with the Taurus 2nd the Impala 3rd and leftover CVs.

MD state police and Toll Authority like the Caprice, Baltimore gose with whatever the state cops like so its the Caprice with Impala and of course leftover CVs.

Buddy of mine is a LEO and he and one other guy from his department are going to a Mopar "Drive our Charger, eat our donuts" event this week. By no means is Dodge giving up.

In this neck of woods (Mass.) Explorer PI rules. Mass State Police has placed at least two big orders and I'm told local municipal vehicle supplier (all brands-they set them up and do lease/purchase whatever) had over 50 Explorers for Boston PD

MD state police and Toll Authority like the Caprice, Baltimore gose with whatever the state cops like so its the Caprice with Impala and of course leftover CVs.

I've seen lots of unmarked MDSP Police Interceptors in my neck of the woods. The toll cops at the bridge near me still have CVPI's. I've seen a few Sheriff Caprices and the next town over from me with its own PD has Police Interceptors.

I've seen lots of unmarked MDSP Police Interceptors in my neck of the woods. The toll cops at the bridge near me still have CVPI's. I've seen a few Sheriff Caprices and the next town over from me with its own PD has Police Interceptors.

Back when I lived up there, Baltimore City seemed to be majority Impala, whereas Baltimore County was almost entirely CVPI.

Also, I didn't even know there was a Durango LEO vehicle. Apparently, neither do most agencies.

Wait a second. There's a police version of the new (current) Durango? I was thinking the old ugly one, as I'd seen a few of those around in the past. Had no idea about the new one lol

Back when I lived up there, Baltimore City seemed to be majority Impala, whereas Baltimore County was almost entirely CVPI.

Montgomery Co. MD (a very wealthy county) literally have every police model on sale in its fleet, they even still have Magnums along with the remaining CVPIs with the Charger as its main vehicle , the only vehicle I haven't seen is the new Durango ssv (but they still have the older ones).

I think the Ford PI Ute's popularity is probably the reason why the Durango is not as prominent as some would expect.

Ford sells PIU as a pursuit rated vehicle. Dodge sells Durango as a service vehicle, not pursuit rated. So the market is different - PIU goes toe to toe with Charger, Durango police package goes up against PIS 2.0 Ecoboost non-pursuit rated service sedan and civilian spec Explorer.

Montgomery Co. MD (a very wealthy county) literally have every police model on sale in its fleet, they even still have Magnums along with the remaining CVPIs with the Charger as its main vehicle , the only vehicle I haven't seen is the new Durango ssv (but they still have the older ones).

LAPD also has an active fleet of all the police vehicles except Durango.

My un-scientific poll is that LEOs over about 6'2" do NOT like the Taurus. Not enough head/leg room. And forget the legroom for any one in back !

The difference between the Taurus and Explorer headroom is only abut 2 inches...I don't have any headroom issues in my SHO, even with the sunroof.

The leg room is fine, but I hate the floor pan re-enforcement "hump" that is exposed when you have the seat all the way to the rear...I like to drive with my legs bent near the seat front and that hump is unconformable to rest my feet on

The leg room is fine, but I hate the floor pan re-enforcement "hump" that is exposed when you have the seat all the way to the rear...I like to drive with my legs bent near the seat front and that hump is unconformable to rest my feet on

Yeah, I hate the hump in our Flex. It also irks me that no one makes a floor mat that also protects the hump.

I can also attest that Georgia Highway Patrol LOVES their Chargers. I don't think I've ever seen them drive anything else in 4 years. MAYBE one CV, but I can't remember where.

As far as the different locales where I spend time, UGA Police is majority CVPI, with some Expeditions and Tahoes thrown in. Athens-Clarke County PD is still majority Impala, while the Sheriff's office runs a mix of that and CV. And yesterday I was in Atlanta for the first time in a while and saw a few Explorer PIs down near the airport.

My un-scientific poll is that LEOs over about 6'2" do NOT like the Taurus. Not enough head/leg room. And forget the legroom for any one in back !

I’m 6’3 and I sit comfortably in both.

But the killer is the cage in the back. Those tend to shave off inches. Thankfully I like to hump my steering wheel so I don’t need to push my seat as far back as others whole rather stretch out.

I'm wondering about the growth in Tahoe sales, maybe Ford needs to get going with a larger SUV like Ecoboost Expedition, would that work?

I think what you saw in Tahoe sales is reflective of the poor police car offering from Chevy, not necessarily a hankering for a body on frame police truck - i.e. the new Caprice is too expensive and the outgoing Impala is ineffective/not optimized like Ford PIS so they choose Tahoe for about the same price as Impala.

Some agencies switch brands every time they order new cars in order to keep everyone in the business - see LAPD - they have an active fleet of every model for sale now except the Durango. They learned first hand what happens when they are reduced to single source supply when GM ended Caprice police car production a few years back, leaving Ford Crown Vic as the only viable police car for sale for several years.

The top 10 largest police agencies in the US (e.g. CHP, NYPD, LAPD, Texas Highway Patrol, etc) accounts for something like 60% of the police car purchase. These guys have very large influence on the ebb and flow of the police car sales chart.

14029038874_b85372fb21_c.jpg

4973513614_0e266d0f24.jpg

14032610462_5bda807f59_c.jpg

13114783695_57f55432fd_c.jpg

6739336205_6f048b8226_z.jpg

3638067650_2862ffd1d2_z.jpg

Edited by bzcat