Now I don't have working turn signals, wipers, and more!

I'm not sure if this should come as a surprise to some of you, but now there is yet ANOTHER thing wrong with my car.

First it was the Active Park Assist which the dealer still has not fixed.

Now, however, all of a sudden my turn signals, high beams, windshield wipers, and all steering wheel controls have stopped working out of nowhere. This is getting ridiculous.

Given these controls proximity, I'd think it's something simple.

Do the hazard lights blink?

I ask because my father in law's F150 had a similar set of seemingly unrelated symptoms (all electrical), and it turned out to be the hazard light button was not fully engaging/disengaging (due to dirt/dust build-up).

Not saying that's your problem, but I'm guessing it might be something similar.

Edited by RangerM

The sccm is offline. Its the steering column control module not working. Sometimes disconnecting the battery will get it working again. But it needs replacing.

Did they not replace front parking aid sensor for your active park problem?

Edited by fordtech1

Given these controls proximity, I'd think it's something simple.

Do the hazard lights blink?

I ask because my father in law's F150 had a similar set of seemingly unrelated symptoms (all electrical), and it turned out to be the hazard light button was not fully engaging/disengaging (due to dirt/dust build-up).

Not saying that's your problem, but I'm guessing it might be something similar.

Yup, I can still use the hazards and the lights still flash when using the key to lock and unlock.

The sccm is offline. Its the steering column control module not working. Sometimes disconnecting the battery will get it working again. But it needs replacing.

Did they not replace front parking aid sensor for your active park problem?

Nope, didn't replace anything as far as I was told and it still isn't fixed. Was originally going back next week again so they can attempt to fix it but looks like it'll be going back sooner as not only is it illegal to drive without turn signals, but we also have rain in the forecast for the upcoming few days.

SCCM also houses the steering wheel position sensor, on most newer cars. And guess what? Park assist requires the system to know where the steering wheel is! I can't remember off the top of my head if Mustang does as well, but it is a fair chance that it does.

Nope, didn't replace anything as far as I was told and it still isn't fixed. Was originally going back next week again so they can attempt to fix it but looks like it'll be going back sooner as not only is it illegal to drive without turn signals, but we also have rain in the forecast for the upcoming few days.

Sounds like they ought to send a flat-bed for it.

IANAL, but, in most states, the law states that you can use hand signals to signal turns and stops. However, most states also have state laws governing what constitutes a properly operating motor vehicle which include a requirement that any vehicle operated on a public road have working signal lights and windshield wipers. So, while you MAY not get a moving violation for an improper lane change (the officer has to be able to see your indicating hand gesture), you can still get an equipment violation citation (non-moving) for not having properly working safety equipment.

(edited to fix spelling errors)

Edited by old_fairmont_wagon
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this should come as a surprise to some of you, but now there is yet ANOTHER thing wrong with my car.

First it was the Active Park Assist which the dealer still has not fixed.

Now, however, all of a sudden my turn signals, high beams, windshield wipers, and all steering wheel controls have stopped working out of nowhere. This is getting ridiculous.

Given all the trouble you've had with them fixing, rather not fixing, the park assist. If it were me, I would be finding a different dealership to look at my car. From everything you posted about it so far one has to believe the "wrench monkeys" at this one appear to be some of the duller knives in the drawer.

Dude, you're car sucks. I mean it's literally RETARDED LOL, that "Parallel parking" is nuts...

Ford needs to give you a new ride, because that is NOT what I would call a "New Car Experience"

No - his dealer sucks not being able to properly diagnose and fix it right. Get a new dealer and it should be fixed in no time. That type of failure should be easy to troubleshoot and identify.

• Like 3

When a Ford tech (Fordtech1) can diagnose the problem over the internet, I'd say it's common enough or easy enough to diagnose and if the dealership can't find the issue...they're not mechanic's they're parts changers!

Find a new dealership or at least tell this one what Fordtech1 said, perhaps spoonfeeding the tech's there will help them enough to repair it.

EDIT: forgot, kudo's to Fordtech1 for being a mechanic and able to diagnose!

Edited by goinbroke2

Although, let's be fair here.

FordTech1 initially diagnosed it as a sensor problem. Now it seems to have been an issue with a control unit in the steering column.

Cars have always been complicated, and getting the issue diagnosed correctly the first time around is not a sure thing.

If anything, this guy's dealer should be taken to task for basically giving up on the problem. Not for failing to diagnose it.

Electrical system, utilizing multiple sensors, sometimes can be time-consuming headaches. I have a friend whose BMW X6 was in the dealer for a couple days short of six weeks whilst they tried to figure out some huge problem with the transmission, brakes, and engine. She had to had it towed in twice before that as it left her stranded roadside - and they thought that they had fixed it. Of course, she could not grasp what they told her was the problem but they had called her twice (IIRC) during that 6 week period (which was after the 2nd tow-in) saying that it ready, only to call her back the next A.M. and delay the pickup.

• 2 years later...