New Ford GT officially official

IMHO, it sure looks like Ford spent a lot of hours in the wind tunnel getting the shape just right; those buttresses are carefully arranged to channel airflow that doesn't go into the engine-bay cooling intakes. IMHO, a very clever effort indeed. :)

There are rear facing "vents" from the engine compartment into that "channel". Talk about negative air pressure !

The 3.5 TT is pretty cool, but with Porsche and the Nissan GTR both having 6 cylinders, i was hoping that Ford would put something more exotic in the GT.

A 3.0 V8 TT (two 1.5 L) or a 3.2 V8 TT (two 1.6 L) or a 4.0 TT (two 2.0 L).

A 600+ HP 3.5L EB isn't exotic? Neither the Porsche or GTR have anywhere close to that much power. Neither do most of the V8s.

I just don't see a V8 providing much more (if any) hp here, and in the end isn't that the goal of a performance engine?

This is NOT just about racing !

It is more about MARKETING !!!

I think it's both. They're not going to compromise performance just for marketing (and it appears they didn't have to) - note the 5.2L FPC in the GT350. But if they can get away with both, all the better.

The new GT supercar was so classified that only the top level of Ford management in

Detroit knew about it

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/10/housekeeping-clickbait-wish-fulfillment-ford-gt/

Here at TTAC, we have the luxury of being able to take time and talk to people who are in a position to give us a straight answer. And according to our numerous sources inside the Blue Oval and its suppliers, this story is worth less than Zimbabwean currency.

Just sayin'

And why bring up that article today?

Because of this:

some Ford insiders have serious issues with the clandestine nature of the car’s development – and the ersatz production facility that will be building them

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/01/naias-2015-recap-ttac-picks-shows-hits-misses/#more-982513

So, "some Ford insiders" who have a track record of leaking confidential information to the press are upset because they were not provided *this* confidential information?

Cute.

• Like 6

This thing was probably developed in some skunkworks offsite clandestine warehouse that nobody needed to know about. Remember, it isn't begin released for a long time. They only had to make it look pretty for the show with a minimum amount of input from anyone that will eventually be required (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

This thing was probably developed in some skunkworks offsite clandestine warehouse that nobody needed to know about. Remember, it isn't begin released for a long time. They only had to make it look pretty for the show with a minimum amount of input from anyone that will eventually be required (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

Umm......it was developed in the basement underneath the regular design center. Only 4 designers worked on it.

Umm......it was developed in the basement underneath the regular design center. Only 4 designers worked on it.

OK, the basement (sorry didn't read the article, which I now have) But, my point does not change....off normal working areas with minimal input / distractions or need for outside interaction. It is still a long ways from production.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Oh my. This is a gem.

Despite its mythical status and strong secondary market values, the original Ford GT was considered a failure. It sold poorly, cost a ton of money to bring to market and was quickly axed.

Anyone with a basic understanding of how new vehicle programs work would know that even if there were budget, personnel, R&D resources and production capacity available, a 2015 introduction and a 2016 launch for a brand new sports car that shares virtually no common components with an existing vehicle is a laughably short timeline, bordering on fantasy. Our Ford sources, mired with the task of reviving Lincoln, supporting a struggling European unit and launching the most important vehicle in their portfolio, to be a flight of fancy from the enthusiast community. Another publication suggested that perhaps a super secret skunkworks team is hard at work on the car, but even this is little more than the stuff of car guy fantasy. Such teams do exist in certain capacities, but every new vehicle program, from the lowliest crossover to the most game-changing halo supercar has its own new vehicle program that is visible to the relevant employees who are responsible for tracking and reporting on the progress of these programs to top executives. Our sources are the people involved in these functions, and they were able to confirm that this program does not exist anywhere within Ford (stay tuned this week when we leak all of those juicy product details).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/10/housekeeping-clickbait-wish-fulfillment-ford-gt/

This is NOT just about racing !

It is more about MARKETING !!!

I have gone and looked at some things,and you may have a very good point.FORD is putting the FORD GT up against the following.

lambo.huracan.602hp,413tq,5.2 v-10.0-60 3.2 or less,1/4 mile 10.7s.

ferrari speciale 597hp,398tq,4.5 N/A 4.5 v-8,0-60 2.8 or so,1/4 mile 10.7@135.

mclaren 650s,641hp,500tq,3.8,v-8.0-60 under 3 seconds,1/4 mile 10.5s.

Depending on the weight of the new FORD GT and if it has around 650hp,it could very well beat these cars.That would be interesting,and if they come out on top the marketing would be off of the charts for FORD.I still hold to a FORD GT should be a v-8,thats what they always had,and if no v-8 it should have been called something else.We will see how all of this plays out. :happy feet:

"and they were able to confirm that this program does not exist anywhere within Ford" — these people are as sharp as a sack of wet cats.

The car exists, expenditures were authorized. Thus the program exists within Ford, on senior management's "List of Things to Do". Now, how the program is executed seems to be what they really want to bitch about, IMHO. :)