New Ford GT officially official

To be fair, most people within Ford didn't know about it and I'm sure that includes some senior leadership. This was truly a skunk works project worthy of the SR-71 blackbird program.

What's stupid is their insistence that such a secret program could not possibly exist without them knowing about it. Kudos to Ford for that one.

• Like 3

To be fair, most people within Ford didn't know about it and I'm sure that includes some senior leadership. This was truly a skunk works project worthy of the SR-71 blackbird program.

What's stupid is their insistence that such a secret program could not possibly exist without them knowing about it. Kudos to Ford for that one.

Its pretty interesting how Ford has changed in the past 16 years or so.....well since this site first opened up in '99 so and all the leaks (for better or worse) to now Ford deliberately and effectively leaking info out about upcoming products since then. It is amazing they kept the wraps on the GT until the last minute or so...

• Like 2

I'm stunned by the attitude from TTAC. They didn't get the scoop and they are just bitching about it. Grow up! If 'Sources' are upset, perhaps they were found out not to be trusted and wouldn't be given any information to begin with. It smacks of a fiefdom mentality where someone is sobbing because they were not in the loop or involved in the project.

How about TTAC try to run an article how your right of the press was violated because you didn't get anything? This sense of entitlement to information is ridiculous.

• Like 1

"Here at TTAC, we have the luxury of being able to take time and talk to people who are in a position to give us a straight answer. And according to our numerous sources inside the Blue Oval and its suppliers, this story is worth less than Zimbabwean currency."

"TTAC has never been under a mandate to increase our click count, and as long as I am at the helm, it will not be. Unlike other competitors, who tie everything from their editorial schedule to the compensation of their writers to “clicks”, we are allowed to sacrifice quantity in favor of quality."

This just in from an inside source: Starting next week TTAC will officially change it's name to "Blotheating About Ourselves".

Actually, that transaxle puts the output shafts a bit farther back than what's optimal for FWD.

Nope its par for a longditunal FWD transaxle

Subaru Transaxle

4eat.jpg

But yes, basically you could do FWD with that transaxle in a platform that would also support RWD and AWD.

which makes no Sense to do. you should go RWD because you lose commonality so much going to a longitudinal FWD setup.

I didn't use 'par', I used 'optimal', and I used that word for a reason:

This is an old Audi transaxle:

AudiGearbox_03.jpg

This is a new Audi transaxle:

Audi-might-implement-transmission-with-e

Note how much farther forward the output shafts are mounted.

Further, regarding the alleged loss of commonality:

- Engines would be common across, at a maximum, the F-Series, the Mustang, the Explorer, and any Lincolns derived from that platform.

- The bulk of the FWD transaxle would be common across every single FWD and AWD vehicle built on this platform.

- The RWD transmission would be common across the F-Series, the Mustang, and any Lincolns derived from that platform that were not equipped w/AWD.

In all you are looking at hundreds of thousands of units sold per year for every conceivable engine and transmission configuration. Commonality will emphatically *not* be a problem.

In larger vehicles, the difference having the front axle slightly aft of flex plate versus over rear of sump is minimal,

especially in a vehicle not totally dependent on weight transfer... I like the idea of common trans, good thought.

Edited by jpd80

I know I'm going to get crucified for this but I like the Dodge Viper better.

Don't get me wrong, the GT is an absolutely beautiful car...... the engine, that blue, the whole design......stunning.... and it probably will be 10x the babe magnet of the viper (At the end of the day, isn't that the true measure of a worthy supercar?) but for whatever reason (I'm blind?) I still prefer the Snake.

2013-Dodge-Viper-SRT-side-picture.jpg

Although on second thought..... hmmm....

Edited by probowler

Don't get me wrong, the GT is an absolutely beautiful car...... the engine, that blue, the whole design......stunning.... and it probably will be 10x the babe magnet of the viper (At the end of the day, isn't that the true measure of a worthy supercar?) but for whatever reason (I'm blind?) I still prefer the Snake.

Although on second thought..... hmmm....

Are hallucinogenic drugs legal in Alaska?

That looks like a good 5" or so, not small change even for a large car.

I was thinking trucks and larger Utilities but yeah, it' still rearward of normally acceptable for RWD car.

Looking at the two integral casings shown, it's clear that there's some flexibility there to move the position

of the front diferential from behind the converter to in front of the flex plate, I wonder if it could be placed

even further forward.....

torson-AWD.jpg

This is the Aussie territory's front end removed from the vehicle, the front differential is on the side as a separate unit,

I wonder of you could have a couple of different bell housling configurations to suit specific derivatives

100_5582.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Why would we crucify you for being absolutely completely wrong and out of your mind? :)

The new viper isn't bad at all. I think I like it better than the new Vette which looks like a Transformer.