6.2L ?

I haven't seen anything definite, but you gotta wonder how long it will continue when it's only application is in the SD. Those that have it seem to love it, but I just don't think it will hang around long being used solely in the SD.

I would say we will probably find out in about 6 months when the next gen SD is revealed at the Texas State Fair (I'm guessing it will be there as that's where it is normally revealed). If the engine is updated for the '17 SD, then I would say it is hanging around for at least another 3-4 years. If the 6.2L stays the same (or eliminated), then I would say it's on it's way out.

Edited by fordmantpw

The fact that the 6.2L hasn't yet replaced the 6.8L V10...

Edit: My mistake. The V10 is gone from the SuperDuty lineup, but is still available in the Chassis Cab, E-Series, and F650/750 lines.

FWIW, the only confirmed info was that the 6.2 was dropped from the F150 for '15, not that it was gone entirely. I agree that relegating it to the SuperDuty line does not bode well for its future, though.

Edited by SoonerLS

I still believe that V10 Triton and V8 Hurricane will merge onto a single architecture for F-Series Super Duty (250 on up). Applications will use V8 in 250, 350, 450, and 550, and V10 in 650, 750, and stripped chassis....

E-Series?!? Dead chassis walking.....

Just thinking out loud, but E-Series may make way for a T-Series Super Duty variant ...

I still believe that V10 Triton and V8 Hurricane will merge onto a single architecture for F-Series Super Duty (250 on up). Applications will use V8 in 250, 350, 450, and 550, and V10 in 650, 750, and stripped chassis....

Just thinking out loud, but E-Series may make way for a T-Series Super Duty variant ...

I doubt it. Vans aren't trucks. If you're selling 6~7k combined E-Series/650/750 per month, you aim to ratchet that volume up with a dedicated cab that is matched to that market, not a bastardized version of some other vehicle.

It's not like SD is some kind of niche vehicle. Ford sells tons of them. The V10 has soldiered on for years along side diesels and smaller V8s without a huge volume on its own. I would guess there is plenty of volume to justify the 6.2s existence. Supposedly some development on the 6.2 is already in the can as well.

Providing gasoline based engines for SD and MD remains a conundrum for Ford,

the CNG market hastaken a big hit since lowering of gasoline prices so Ford's

decision to offeri only CNG prep packages now appears to be very prudent indeed..

There is absolutely nothing to be gained with changing SD or MD gasoline engines

at the moment, both truck segments have specific needs that one engine cannot meet.

Long term, I suspect a stronger Ecoboost engine may replace the 6.2 in 250 applications

while the 6.2 may see an increase to 7.0 liters to eventually replace the 6.8 but the big

stopping point with that is the cost of change vs ROI.. A 4.4 to 5.0 Diesel may be better.....

Edited by jpd80

The fact that the 6.2L hasn't yet replaced the 6.8L V10 is troubling. I think FoMoCo screwed the pooch on this one.

I have to agree !

The 6.2L failed Ford's internal "durability" testing for medium duty application when it first cam out. It went into production anyway because it DID get better fuel economy than the 6.8L V10.

There was some debate during development about pushrod versus OHC. Management wanted pushrod mostly because GM was staying with pushrod. I did speak to one engineer, years ago, who was in favor of a 3 valve SOHC. SOHC to keep costs down, 3 valve for good air flow.

Any replacement has to include a true "big block" (> 8L ?)for medium duty applications.

If Ford was going to change to "coyote" V10 then it would have to do something

about the split crank and balance shaft that rides above the left bank cylinder head.

The problem is you can't have the sophistication VCT without upsetting the balancer timing.

DSC02618.jpg

The cost of doing anything exceeds the benefit, that's why For chose to reuse the V10 for F650 and F750,

it was there and basically cost nothing to keep going.

The question for me is what happens with F250 and F350 now that the EPA is seeking fuel economy improvements,

would weight reduction via alloy bodies be enough to keep the 6.2 V8 in the good ledger?

the V10 is still around because it can handle the duty cycles required in the mediums. There is a cost involved in keeping it around, but it is less than developing a new engine (or a significant reengineering of the 6.2 V8). As long as Ford wants to continuing a gas option in class 4 thru 7, I see the V10 hanging around unless and until they develop a class 4 thru 7 capable V8.

There was some debate during development about pushrod versus OHC. Management wanted pushrod mostly because GM was staying with pushrod. I did speak to one engineer, years ago, who was in favor of a 3 valve SOHC. SOHC to keep costs down, 3 valve for good air flow.

The current dual shaft mounted rocker arm setup in the 6.2L heads look fairly bulky... those rocker arms are massive. You wouldn't need to put the valve lash adjuster inside the rocker arm with a modular style 3 valve SOHC head. The 3V SOHC would have allowed for a single spark plug too, at least one that doesn't break apart during removal.

I was told at least part of the 6.2L's problem in medium duty applications is the size of the water jackets in the block. If true, that's not an easy fix. I don't see a V-10 Coyote having much potential. The displacement would likely be too small and the parts count for a DOHC V-10 alone would make the engine expensive. Remember that one of the reasons Ford wanted to drop the V-10 was because of parts count.

I see the old 3 valve Triton V-10 hanging around. At least it's development costs were paid for long ago. I do see it being at a disadvantage to some of the Gasoline/CNG/LNG engines under development at present, particularly the PSI 8.8L.

That is a great idea, no matter what RJ says about it.

I have the 6.2L V8 in my Raptor and so far it's been awesome. The power and sound from it is amazing. It does get terrible mileage, but I knew that going in and I drive it with a heavy foot. It did get better mileage (almost 8 mpg) while towing than compared to our 2007 Expedition EL (as low as 6 mpg) pulling the same trailer.

If the next gen F250 & F350 pickups use the F150's aluminum cab (which is expected), I could see the 3.5L EcoBoost becoming the base gas engine with a tune similar to what's in the Transit. With the expected weight savings of the next F250/F350, I could see it maintaining the current payload & towing capacities as the current trucks have with the 6.2L and get better mileage while doing it. And if Ford keeps the current steel cabs (or develops a new steel cab like RJ and I think they'll do) on the F350 & up Chassis Cab, I could see them keeping & improving the 6.8L V10 (maybe punch it out to 7.0L) for many years. It should be interesting to see what's up Ford's sleeve for the next few years.

That is a great idea, no matter what RJ says about it.

Yes! Let's replace one inadequate cab with another inadequate cab that has LOWER production volume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great way to not reduce costs and not make the product better at the SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!