Continental Confirmed CD4, Built at Flat Rock, Gets LWB Edition in China

Info we already know pretty much.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086581_lincoln-continental-to-be-built-at-fords-flat-rock-plant-in-michigan

Lincoln is in the process of overhauling its lineup, as well as introducing some brand new additions, and the next model we’re likely to see is a flagship sedan that will revive the Continental nameplate and serve as a replacement for the aging MKS. The new Continental was previewed in concept form earlier this year, and prototypes have already been spotted in the wild. Now we know where the Ford Motor Company [NYSE:F] will build the car.

Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Ford global manufacturing chief John Fleming said the Continental would be built at Ford’s Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Michigan. The plant is currently responsible for the Mustang and Fusion, and adopting Continental production shouldn’t be a problem as the new sedan has been designed around a stretched version of the Fusion’s CD4 platform.

The Continental built at Flat Rock is expected to look almost identical to the concept, which proved a hit at its 2015 New York Auto Show debut. A long-wheelbase version is also in development but this one will be sold exclusively in China. It’s likely to be built at the same plant in China where the Chinese-spec Ford Taurus is assembled.

Lincoln hasn’t set a firm date for the launch of its new Continental, stating only that it arrives in 2016.

Edited by Intrepidatious

The Conti *might* be a big seller in China--

provided their economy isn't in the process of exploding, and provided that there's a lot of interest in what is, I believe, the first D/E (stretch) luxury sedan from a 'global' brand built in China.

Not the first, thought for sure not the last either.

1st FAW Audi A6L

2nd BAIC Mercedes ExxxL

3rd Brilliance BMW 5xxLi and 530Le

4th Chang'an Volvo S80L

5th SAIC Cadillac SLS (LWB version of the defunct STS, and was since been replaced by the XTS)

My guess is that if there is enough interest, the long wheel base version will be brought over partially constructed and finished at Flat Rock.

If there is enough interest, Ford will just build the car in Flat Rock. In fact, I'm going to guess LWB Conti will be part of US line up. Maybe not at first but surely at some point during the model run.

Not the first, thought for sure not the last either.

1st FAW Audi A6L

2nd BAIC Mercedes ExxxL

3rd Brilliance BMW 5xxLi and 530Le

4th Chang'an Volvo S80L

5th SAIC Cadillac SLS (LWB version of the defunct STS, and was since been replaced by the XTS)

I think those are all pretty much midsizers (even w/the L extension) except the SLS, which should only count as a technicality :)

Edit: It turns out that they're all over 5M long, and therefore qualify as E-sized based on the EU def. (which is not, for some reason or another, based on passenger volume).

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

RMC...that would only apply to the wealthy correct?.....not everybody is Yao Ming.....

That I do not know. And you don't have to be Yao Ming to want a spacious rear seat.

Also, would you expect a LWB Continental to NOT appeal to the wealthy?

I think those are all pretty much midsizers (even w/the L extension) except the SLS, which should only count as a technicality :)

Edit: It turns out that they're all over 5M long, and therefore qualify as E-sized based on the EU def. (which is not, for some reason or another, based on passenger volume).

Yea... all those are E-segment cars under the EU classification, which doesn't take into account the interior volume.

But more to the point, Ford has said that Continental is intended to compete with those cars, and they all have LWB version in China.

RMC...that would only apply to the wealthy correct?.....not everybody is Yao Ming.....

In a country with more than a billion people, China's middle class is probably bigger in number than the entire US population.

And that's before we talk about the upper class wealthy that have done quite well under the communist regime...

Since the Continental will be built in Flat Rock along with the Mustang and Fusion what does that say about a U.S. version of the Taurus?

That is the 1 million dollar question at this point. I'm sure we'll hear something come September after the UAW talks. But that is what the rumor has it going and the D3 Tauri soldiers on as the PI till the Explorer is replaced by the CD6 in a few years.

A long-wheelbase version is also in development but this one will be sold exclusively in China. It’s likely to be built at the same plant in China where the Chinese-spec Ford Taurus is assembled.

According to that article, the Chinese-spec Ford Taurus is shorter but with a longer wheel base then the current US Taurus.

IMHO, Ford "missed the boat" several tears ago by NOT having a long wheelbase for the MKS and the PI Sedan.

Edited by theoldwizard

I'll say it again. There is no NEW CD4 Taurus for the U.S. for the next 3 years at least.

At the rate the monthly sales are on the Taurus...they won't have to bother. Having a Taurus in China (only) would completely fly in the face of "One Ford" that they've been working on for the past 10 years. Its not some el-cheapo car that wouldn't sell in the US we are talking about here.

Just makes you wonder how profitable a modified CD4 for the Continental is going to be without an additional 75-100K or so Taurus sales. I seriously doubt that the Continental will even come close to 40K units a year with Chinese sales and NA sales combined.

Edited by silvrsvt

IMHO, Ford "missed the boat" several tears ago by NOT having a long wheelbase for the MKS and the PI Sedan.

If there really was a market for it, the MKT and Flex have a longer wheelbase. The problem is that the Taurus (and I'll assume the MKS also) are the largest (length wise) car product they build...the Taurus is longer then an Explorer and Flex!

At the rate the monthly sales are on the Taurus...they won't have to bother. Having a Taurus in China (only) would completely fly in the face of "One Ford" that they've been working on for the past 10 years.

They may not even sell a D class Ford sedan in the U.S. - it's a shrinking market. I could see replacing it with a LWB Fusion with a larger trunk.

In NA I think it comes down to the other existing D3/D4 vehicles and manufacturing facilities. I think they're going to reshuffle the entire deck with CD6.

Could you expand on that - what do you think might happen?

This is just my guess here - no insider info. But I see CD6 replacing both CD4 and D3/D4. FWD/AWD for Fusion/Edge. RWD/AWD for Explorer and all Lincolns. That's assuming the platform is capable of both which has been reported by unnamed sources in the news. If not then CD4 stays FWD/AWD for Fusion/Edge and maybe MKZ and CD6 is RWD/AWD for Explorer and other Lincolns.

Either way I think D3/D4 is a dead man walking.

They could also be consolidating CD6 production in the U.S. (including Fusion) while moving Focus and C-Max production to Mexico. Now you can spread CD6 production between MAP and CAP.

Don't forget FRAP in there too. I have to imagine that Continental would eventually move to CD6 and they would keep building the Fusion.