The new Bronco/Ranger/MAP thread

If the Ranger and Bronco are indeed separate.... then the Bronco could be a 2-door version of the Raptor

As a current Raptor owner, I would have no interest in a product like this. That would basically be an extended cab Raptor with a topper, which u could get right now, used of course.

I have bought Ford trucks all my life, but I am considering buying a Jeep as a 3rd vehicle because of its physical size, and the fact that I would like an open top vehicle that isn't a convertible car.

I would prefer to buy a Ford brand vehicle that meets this criteria, but that doesn't exist right now. I would venture to say there are many people that are like me out there, or people who want a Wrangler type vehicle that would be willing to buy a Ford vehicle with the same form factor. The fact that Jeep has sold 157K Wranglers so far this year, suggests the market is pretty healthy.

If they build an OJ type full sized Bronco that perhaps you can strip the cap off of, I do not believe it will be successful.

Back to the Ranger - Bronco issue, new Autoweek has an article on....."if you build it, here are two we would like to see Ford make happen". They go on to a positive discussion on the Ranger and state.."A revived US Ranger is likely going to be based on the overseas model but built here to avoid the 25 % import tariff. Wonder were they get their info??

They then go on to quote Automotive News ....."a new Bronco would probably be based on the Everest, a body on frame SUV designed in Australia and built in Thailand"

I wish on both counts but I'm not holding my breath.

That's not the language publications use when they have solid info, they're guessing just like everyone else based on the rumors coming out of the Union talks.

That's not the language publications use when they have solid info, they're guessing just like everyone else based on the rumors coming out of the Union talks.

Like I said.."not holding my breath". I like all the positive talk about BOF and use of the Everest but I fear we will see something derived from the TC

• Like 1

As a current Raptor owner, I would have no interest in a product like this. That would basically be an extended cab Raptor with a topper, which u could get right now, used of course.

I have bought Ford trucks all my life, but I am considering buying a Jeep as a 3rd vehicle because of its physical size, and the fact that I would like an open top vehicle that isn't a convertible car.

I like to think of it as more like a SWB Raptor with comfortable front and rear seating and ample weather-proof bed space.

I would prefer to buy a Ford brand vehicle that meets this criteria, but that doesn't exist right now. I would venture to say there are many people that are like me out there, or people who want a Wrangler type vehicle that would be willing to buy a Ford vehicle with the same form factor. The fact that Jeep has sold 157K Wranglers so far this year, suggests the market is pretty healthy.

If they build an OJ type full sized Bronco that perhaps you can strip the cap off of, I do not believe it will be successful.

I wonder if we'll see the Bronco as a Jeep competitor- perhaps like the Hummer H3 but based on Ranger/Everest platform but with unique top hat?

Sure, Ford could transplant Ranger and Everest here as is but i wonder if a more Jeep like body in two and four door versions would be a better fit..

Edited by jpd80

I wonder if we'll see the Bronco as a Jeep competitor- perhaps like the Hummer H3 but based on Ranger/Everest platform but with unique top hat?

Sure, Ford could transplant Ranger and Everest here as is but i wonder if a more Jeep like body in two and four door versions would be a better fit..

If they are going bring over T6, then they definitely should invest in a new tophat for the Bronco rather than just selling Everest as it. Everest is too conventional and just another "me too" utility. The people buying body on frame SUV in the US are looking to make a lifestyle statement so the vehicle has to look rugged and not like something soccer mom drives. Hummer H3 was a good attempt but bad timing.

This is also why Toyota keep making the 4Runner more ugly and butch every year, and why FCA is very careful not to mess with Wranger styling too much. They are catering to a very small but dedicated niche.

• Like 1

I wonder how this will apply to Ford's future plans...

Ford’s global-market Ranger pickup could get the Raptor treatment

Ford has declined to comment on the rumors. For what it’s worth, though, the company made a trip to an Australian patent office to protect the names “Ranger Raptor,” “Ford Ranger Raptor,” and “Ranger FX4” a couple of weeks ago.

If such a stout midsize-pickup were to materialize.... a Bronco tophat would be a perfect complement
Edited by probowler

My wife sat in a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon at the State Fair of Texas car show and she really liked it. She even said that she could see herself replacing her Expedition with it. I hope Ford givs us some concrete Bronco news quick before she gets too antsy. I would hate to have to tell my wife to park her new Jeep on the street. :)

It might just be me, but the Raptor-like grille just doesn't look right on the Ranger. Especially the chrome lettering in the video.

That lettered Grille and the wheel arch extensions are aftermarket parts added to the Ranger...Not Ford parts.

FWIW, I think Ford could do a mean looking Ranger Raptor if it wanted to with maybe a nice 2.7 Ecoboost..

Mmmmmm

Edited by jpd80

• 1 month later...

So what are the odds that Ford goes after government contracts with the new Bronco?

Back in the 90s, the Boarder Patrol had a fleet of lifted FSB's... and police and fire departments have used them occasionally as well. Granted, the Explorer PI will be the best choice for most PDs... but I could imagine more rural departments wanting something a bit more rugged and capable.

They could potentially even see military service as well, supposedly my SF unit might be replacing our Hilux trucks with Jeeps.... so if a Wrangler will suffice, why not a Bronco?

Also, has anyone heard any rumors about Fords plan of attack with the Bronco?

Is this going to be a straight up ranger copy with some fancy traction control and a horse emblem?

Or will the Bronco be a legitimate Jeep killer with locking differentials,rock sliders.... etc, and Mopar Parts level of support and customization?