2017 Lincoln MKZ Debuts with 400-hp 3.0EB V6

Not M5 performance, but with 400 hp and electronically controlled suspension it should qualify.

Richard is right though - I could see this being a repeat of the performance tire articles. (The MkZ rides great when equipped with tires you can't get, few days later, wait, you can get them? Let's but that on a back page somewhere)

Richard is right though - I could see this being a repeat of the performance tire articles. (The MkZ rides great when equipped with tires you can't get, few days later, wait, you can get them? Let's but that on a back page somewhere)

So what? Nothing they can do about that and I don't think magazine articles affect sales anyway. That doesn't mean it's not a luxury performance sedan.

Anyone got a handle on what 0-60 and 1/4 mile times we might see from the MKZ?

Would the acceleration be similar to a GT Mustang or slightly slower?

Would the turbo's bottom end torque compensate for any weight disadvantage compared to Mustang.....

Just speculation, of course, but I would guess 0-60 in the high 4s and quarter mile ET in the low to mid 13s - a bit slower than a Mustang GT. I drag race my tuned MKS ecoboost and I can assure you that AWD makes a big difference. I get so far ahead of a stock Mustang GT by the 1/8 mile mark, they cannot catch me by the end of the quarter even though they trap at a little higher speed. A tuned MKS Eco or SHO puts out more than the 400/400 quoted for the new MKZ but they are heavier, too, so it is possible that the stock Z will be quicker than I think.

Pretty sure this isn't going to be a performance sedan. And that it's going to get trashed by TTAC, etc....

Depends on how you define performance sedan I guess.

400hp and torque vectoring AWD would place it in good company with the likes of BMW 340i, Audi S4, Acura TLX, Infiniti Q50, Volvo S60R, which all make do with "just" 300~330hp. No doubt MKZ will place mid-pack-ish in handling but it should ace some acceleration test and have the most luxurious interior.

Depends on how you define performance sedan I guess.

400hp and torque vectoring AWD would place it in good company with the likes of BMW 340i, Audi S4, Acura TLX, Infiniti Q50, Volvo S60R, which all make do with "just" 300~330hp. No doubt MKZ will place mid-pack-ish in handling but it should ace some acceleration test and have the most luxurious interior.

It's not going to ride or feel like a BMW, so you're going to see (IMO, at least) grouching about how the power is being wasted, that the car's handling is too soft, that the steering isn't precise enough, the seats not supportive enough, that, essentially, it's not a BMW.

It's not going to ride or feel like a BMW, so you're going to see (IMO, at least) grouching about how the power is being wasted, that the car's handling is too soft, that the steering isn't precise enough, the seats not supportive enough, that, essentially, it's not a BMW.

That's what the tuners are for. :)

I don't think it is that hard for Lincoln to achieve what Audi did - which is to make a car that can win on merits and eventually change hearts and minds. Audi has been winning head to head comparison tests from magazines against BMW the last couple of years with FWD based platform and all. It may take many years of consistently great efforts but it can be done.

• Like 1

I don't think it is that hard for Lincoln to achieve what Audi did - which is to make a car that can win on merits and eventually change hearts and minds. Audi has been winning head to head comparison tests from magazines against BMW the last couple of years with FWD based platform and all. It may take many years of consistently great efforts but it can be done.

One day, we all hope that the press critics run out of excuses for playing down the merits of each successive Lincoln model

and finally admit that they are well designed luxury vehicles with spirited performance and great value to boot.

• Like 1

BMW is really losing the hearts and minds of some car writers as it moves further and further from its "ultimate driving machine" ethos, and Mercedes has some objectively mediocre cars right now. Audi's product reviews strong but they will have to contend with their share of dieselgate for awhile. If car writers are going to reevaluate their biases, now is when its most likely to happen.

Edited by Moosetang

• 2 weeks later...

"One day, we all hope that the press critics run out of excuses for playing down the merits of each successive Lincoln model

and finally admit that they are well designed luxury vehicles with spirited performance and great value to boot."

Agree.

Auto writers are boring, effete, fame seekers, wanting to "fit in" to the elite classes. "This Bimmer is truly scrumcious".

And some fan bois try too hard to go along with 'what the magazines say' and bore me to death.

I like the rebelious ones who don't go along with 'conventional wisdom'.