2017 Lincoln MKZ Debuts with 400-hp 3.0EB V6

6F55 can't handle 400 lb/ft unless they've upgraded it.

Exactly, which points to the 9-speed.....but why wouldn't they have highlighted that? Perhaps it was simply as stated above, that GM has the priority for production announcement for it. And Ford has it for the 10-speed (which we know is coming to the F-150 next year).

Zan, I somewhat agree, but shes growing on me, and Im startled at how extensive the "refresh " is.....major applause in that respect. Now Im REALLY worried about how ho hum the fusion MCE seems to look.....

I'll certainly have more of an opinion after I see it in the metal, as it were, but the pics remind me of an old spy shot where the nose of the 1983 "aero bird" T-Bird was grafted onto the previous boxy version.

Obviously, it's not as pronounced a difference, but it's just...off. Maybe it's the pics.

I echo your concerns about the Fusion MCE, however. I know that CUVs are the current hot product, but the midsize sedan is still the heart of most lineups...and aside from the oft-rumored ST version, the Fusion doesn't seem to be getting much attention.

Exactly, which points to the 9-speed.....but why wouldn't they have highlighted that? Perhaps it was simply as stated above, that GM has the priority for production announcement for it. And Ford has it for the 10-speed (which we know is coming to the F-150 next year).

the FWD transmission is the 9 speed and the RWD transmission is the 10 speed. I think GM is the lead on the FWD and Ford is the lead on the 10 speed JV's

Dear Lincoln Management and Ford Media Relations,

PLEASE RELEASE THESE WHITE CAR PHOTOS INSTEAD OF YOUR OWN GREY CRAPPY ONES. Some news bureaus are already using those ugly grey car photos (look on "yahoo F finance"). You want something in the papers tomorrow that looks great.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/11/all-new-2017-lincoln-mkz-makes-surprise-debut-at-la-auto-show.html

Hahaha! That's been an age old problem here. Ford's photographers make the cars look dull and anyone on the street can take better pics than they do.

Dear Lincoln Management and Ford Media Relations,

PLEASE RELEASE THESE WHITE CAR PHOTOS INSTEAD OF YOUR OWN GREY CRAPPY ONES. Some news bureaus are already using those ugly grey car photos (look on "yahoo F finance"). You want something in the papers tomorrow that looks great.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/11/all-new-2017-lincoln-mkz-makes-surprise-debut-at-la-auto-show.html

They're getting better.

Behold!

A publicity photo of the 2006 Zephyr:

60LIGEC1_Large.JPG

Yes! That is a real, genuine, taken-by-an-advertising-agency-and-paid-for-by-Ford-Motor press photo. Not a halfhearted effort by a senior in a high school photography class trying to phone in an assignment!

• Like 1

Which is funny, because I never predicted that the RS AWD system would be RS only. I just said that Ford would not necessarily be using RS drivetrain components on non-RS models (e.g. using RS halfshafts on the Escape).

But, without dwelling on past occurrences, I don't think any of us are surprised that Biker's recollection of my comments was not accurate.

You said alot more than that Richard.

Edited by Biker16

Interesting debate. Ford has had a tendency in the past to launch powertrain changes/major facelifts with a known element. 6F55 is a known *solid* performer, so that is a real viable first year trans. On the other hand, they also have a tendency to use Lincoln as a beta tester. And 400 lb*ft at the flywheel puts the '55 a shade over design.

Actually Ford is simply releasing components when they're ready. If that coincides with a facelift so be it. If not then it comes out the next year or the year after. If they have a new trans ready to go and it's been sufficiently tested it will debut with the 3.0L. If it's not ready or hasn't been tested we'll see an existing one.

Actually Ford is simply releasing components when they're ready. If that coincides with a facelift so be it. If not then it comes out the next year or the year after. If they have a new trans ready to go and it's been sufficiently tested it will debut with the 3.0L. If it's not ready or hasn't been tested we'll see an existing one.

At least on the Lincoln.ca site, the EB30 is Late Availibility. I can only speculate it will not be released until the new transmission is ready. Perhaps that is why it was not mentioned during the release.

At least on the Lincoln.ca site, the EB30 is Late Availibility. I can only speculate it will not be released until the new transmission is ready. Perhaps that is why it was not mentioned during the release.

Late availability makes sense... they must be waiting for the 9 speed transmission to be ready.

I doubt Ford will launch Continental (and thus MKZ) with this engine and not the 9 speed auto. That's too much wasted money doing drivetrain calibration and EPA certification for just a few months of production.

Late availability makes sense... they must be waiting for the 9 speed transmission to be ready.

I doubt Ford will launch Continental (and thus MKZ) with this engine and not the 9 speed auto. That's too much wasted money doing drivetrain calibration and EPA certification for just a few months of production.

It's also possible the 3.0L engine itself is delayed. But I agree it would seem to make sense that it gets the new 9-speed unless the 9-speed is still a year away from being ready.

• Like 1

True, but it's and SUV and gets buyers willing to pay profitable price.

Lincoln version of Focus [MK-A, B?] would be a 'bait and switch' cheap luxo car, like the Jaguar X-Type, or infamous Caddy Cimmarron!

Notice there is no "Lexus Corolla" and the Acura ILX is panned for being a 'Civic Plus'.

Lincoln version of Focus [MK-A, B?] would be a 'bait and switch' cheap luxo car, like the Jaguar X-Type, or infamous Caddy Cimmarron!

Notice there is no "Lexus Corolla" and the Acura ILX is panned for being a 'Civic Plus'.

True and Acura is panned as much a Lincoln is. Instead of the past let's look forward and the Jaguar XE has no issue losing it's past when it was the X-Type. Also, Compact Sports Sedans such as XE, 3-series, MB C-series and Audi 3/4 have cheaper routes in their respective countries. I think critics pan Lincoln because Lincoln. I think an enlarged C2 Lincoln with EB20/23 maybe EB30 with AWD and the better materials and buying experience that Lincoln has may get some traction.

Edited by Hugh

There have been 2 different Lexus Corollas - a sedan and a hatchback.

And ILX is panned because the Civic it is based on was crap (it's a true 21st century Cimarron). It arrived DOA with a pathetic 1.5 I4 hybrid system that Honda couldn't give away in the Civic.

No one calls Audi A3 or Mercedes CLA a "bait and switch" car because they are pretty good cars. Quality material, great designs, and good value for money (as far as luxury brand is concerned). There is no reason why Ford can't do something similar.

A C-segment Lincoln sedan has a great business case and we'll see it probably rather soon. Ford is going to need it to compete with Audi A3, Mercedes CLA, and the upcoming BMW FWD 1-series sedan in China. I'd guess there is 99%, no, make that 100% chance that we will get the car in the US too at some point.

Edited by bzcat

Or it could be like the Volvo S40.

And yes there is a Lexus Corolla called the CT 200, still in production.

Edited by J-150
  • Like 1

Or it could be like the Volvo S40.

And yes there is a Lexus Corolla called the CT 200, still in production.

I rented a S40 once and although arguably the best of the C1 (Focus, Mazda 3) trio, I don't think it was worth the money unless you got the T5 AWD setup. I think Ford has taken enough heat and lessons learned if they wanted to go to the C-segment Sedan, there has to be a lot of work put into it. Perhaps it's not worth the money, time and energy but I'd personally like to see it. A smaller 2017 MKZ as a reference.

• Like 1

And ILX is panned because the Civic it is based on was crap (it's a true 21st century Cimarron). It arrived DOA with a pathetic 1.5 I4 hybrid system that Honda couldn't give away in the Civic.

To make matters worse, the new Civic effectively obliterates any reason for buying an Acura ILX.