2017 Lincoln MKZ Debuts with 400-hp 3.0EB V6

Look, they are using the RS AWD system on another product, I guess it isn't that Special after all.

I edited my post afterwards. My point is Lincoln is looking like positioning itself in the hunt like you said. I agree with you that 350 HP in FWD seems a bit much. Focus RS is AWD. I wonder how Lincoln will pull it off?

Torque Shaping. AKA: They Will Neuter Torque in gears 1-3.

I edited my post afterwards. My point is Lincoln is looking like positioning itself in the hunt like you said. I agree with you that 350 HP in FWD seems a bit much. Focus RS is AWD. I wonder how Lincoln will pull it off?

The Edge Sport with the 2.7L EB was available in FWD trim for the 2015 models (350 hp). With a little torque management it should be fine. I suspect they'll use it as an in between price point with the 2.0L being fairly low price to start and the 3.0L being much higher.

Agreed. I think they have the parts and I hope they show 'Quiet Luxury' doesn't equal 'Soft Luxury'.

Don't they already have Lincoln Ride Control in the MKZ already? If not they will now so no chance of it being Soft Luxury unless you dial it up that way on purpose.

Pretty impressive! Anyone else notice the Lincoln star pattern in the seats and door trim?

That was in the Continental concept too.

I think that update just brought this vehicle onto the shopping list of many people. My very first thought was "whoa, that doesn't look right." followed immediately by, "wow, that looks great."

The stubby front end changes the entire dynamic of the car. I like it.

• Like 2

I love the update, I do wish they would have included the export taillights, the clear lenses do dress up the back of the car. The interior looks much nicer, the slider volume was horrid. I did notice that they didn't mention anything on the Hybrid (Energi?) Wonder if they are waiting until closer to launch for more info on that model with updates to the drivetrain, maybe in Chicago? I really hope Ford didn't drop it. Looks like Job 1 for this is Mid-April.

Probably have the 6 speed trans, or maybe they are sourcing a ZF. I thought originally when Ford and GM were doing the Transmissions, Ford was launching the 10 speed next year, and GM launching the 9speed (2016). The following year (2017) Ford was launching the 9-speed and GM the 10 speed. But maybe that has changed too.

MKC Performance version with this engine anyone?

Did this just steal some thunder from the Continental? Wow! I like!

More like a 1-2 punch this auto show season with the production Conti coming at NAIAS.

Pretty impressive! Anyone else notice the Lincoln star pattern in the seats and door trim?

The model pictured is a Black Label model, which have detailed perforations in the seats. I don't think the regular seats will have that much of a perforation pattern, unfortunately.

Anyone else notice the dark Sync3 screens vs the light ones on Ford products?

Have to differentiate them a bit.

Anyone notice how there is no reference to the Ecoboost name? Even on Lincoln's website, they call it a 3.0 GTDI engine.

Nice update, brings an Americanized Audi vibe to it. 400/400 AWD should be fun too, especially after a tune...

I think it's a great idea not to use the EcoBoost name (I still advocate using the original TwinForce name for Lincoln, but I digress), as it creates further separation of the Ford and Lincoln to the public, even though the technology (and often entire powertrains) are the same underneath.

• Like 2

I agree, I too would have used the TwinForce name on the Lincoln versions.

The MKX happens to be one of the more powerful in it's segment, and now the MKZ seem to be following suit. We all know the base models will be the sales leader, but its the 400HP that will probably get some buyers to even walk into the dealership.

I am happy they finally introduced autobraking/pedestrian detection tech as well. I will say if it handles well in sports mode on corners, this might be the vehicle to replace my LS (I only use the MKX about 30% of the time). As long as the 400HP gets it to 60MPH under 5 seconds, then it'll be perfect. Also been looking at the new XK, and that one tops out at 380HP in sport trim. Good to finally have an option inside Lincoln again.

The Edge Sport with the 2.7L EB was available in FWD trim for the 2015 models (350 hp). With a little torque management it should be fine. I suspect they'll use it as an in between price point with the 2.0L being fairly low price to start and the 3.0L being much higher.

Don't they already have Lincoln Ride Control in the MKZ already? If not they will now so no chance of it being Soft Luxury unless you dial it up that way on purpose.

That was in the Continental concept too.

I thought it was just 315hp in the Edge. At least that's what's on the site.

Edited by Hugh

I don't think the system was ever meant to be for use in the RS only.

That was directed at RJ.

I thought is was just 315hp in the Edge.

So it is. 315/350. Not sure why it was detuned so much but I would assume a Fusion ST could easily achieve 350/350 with the 2.7L EB (might require replacing some components).

Flagship engine for Lincoln. Don't think it was ever supposed to be exclusive to Continental. I expect MKX to get it soon as well.

I'm sure it will be in Navigator too.

the RS-sourced torque vectoring AWD is a game changer for Lincoln. It won't be a big seller but it takes away the "... but FWD" excuse like Quattro did for Audi. Lincoln needs to come up with a catchy name for its AWD system and market the crap out of it.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1