Ford adding 4 new SUVs for Ford, Lincoln brands

I don't think the US or worldwide distinction is that meaningful. The only US-only vehicles in the Ford portfolio are F-series based and we know Ford ain't adding "new nameplate" on that platform (i.e. Expedition and Navigator are not "new nameplate" and Excursion is not coming back no matter how much some people want it).

So 4 new SUVs makes must address the 4 segments that Ford is currently missing a viable competitor. And these are the 4 segments that Ford is currently missing in action:

1. B-segment - EcoSport is really A-segment so I suspect one of the new nameplate is a replacement for EcoSport outside India and South America. Something similar in size to Jeep Renegade, Chevy Trax, Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, Fiat 500X, Mini Countryman etc. around 4.2 meters. EcoSport will probably live on as A-segment (under 4 meters) SUV in India and South America.

2. C-segment short - Something based on the next generation Focus or C-Max hatchback.

3. Midsize 4x4 - Yes, Ford has Everest overseas, which is like a Toyota 4Runner or Prado competitor. But from what we've been lead to believe, Ford is thinking something more like a Wranger competitor so I think Bronco is going to be something different from Everest - same platform but different bodystyle and selling point (i.e. sort of like 4Runner and FJ Cruiser)

4. Luxury 7 seat SUV - Lincoln MKT is not really a viable entry in this segment and we all know it will be replaced by the "Lincoln Explorer".

The US distinction was only relevant to the 4 new model names not currently existing in the U.S.

Ecosport is B class, not A class. It's on the same global B platform as Fiesta and B-max. Why do you keep calling it A class?

And is there really room between Ecosport and Escape?

Also - your list of 4 leaves out Bronco which is all but confirmed.

The US distinction was only relevant to the 4 new model names not currently existing in the U.S.

Ecosport is B class, not A class. It's on the same global B platform as Fiesta and B-max. Why do you keep calling it A class?

And is there really room between Ecosport and Escape?

Also - your list of 4 leaves out Bronco which is all but confirmed.

Ecosport is nearly a foot shorter than typical B-segment SUV so it is A-segment by default. I'm not talking about which platform these cars are based on - I'm talking about the car vs. the competitors. Ford designed Ecosport to fit within the 4 meter requirement for the India market but that made it noncompetitive outside a handful of emerging markets. Hence I believe Ford will introduce something that is proper B-segment size for the more matured markets.

I already explained that there is significant room below Escape but above the B-segment SUVs. It's doing about 500k units now but Hyundai/Kia just updated their entries and Jeep is doing that in 2016. Toyota and Nissan are entering next year too so it is going to blow up towards 1 million units in a few years. This is just in the US... Outside of our bubble, the lifted C-segment hatchback market happens to be one of the fastest growing auto segment worldwide.

Bronco is #3 on my list. Not sure what you are inferring.

• Like 1

I can see the Bronco as a Shortened Everest with new sheetmetal to make it look different...unless they are consolidating the Troller with it also.

Not necessarily shortened... but I think it will be different vs. Everest.

Everest and Bronco are fundamentally aimed at different market segments so a large degree of differentiation is probably required. Everest is 3 row mid size SUV with offroad hardware (i.e. it competes with vehicles like Toyota Prado or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport). This kind of SUV actually doesn't sell very well in the US at all so I don't think Ford will just bring the Everest here and call it Bronco.

Ford will be trying to sell Bronco as a lifestyle vehicle so it will probably be a lot closer to Wrangler in concept than Toyota Prado. I'd also imagine that Ford will try to sell the Bronco outside the US... so chances are it will be quite different vs. Everest. I'm not saying Bronco will have Wrangler like styling... I'm saying Bronco will be more "bro".

Edited by bzcat

Ecosport (new to NA), Bronco, Aviator, Everest?

This is my guess. 2 ranger based SUV's one mainstream to chase TrailBlazer and Grand Cherokee and one more intense -- either a "Raptor" or a full on Wrangler 2 door.

EcoSport (WIIC) and Aviator (VIIC) are a given.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/01/12/ford-adding-four-more-suvs-show-their-popularity/78704178/

There's also this:

Lincoln already has a compact crossover with the MKC, a midsize crossover with the MKX and a full-size SUV with the Navigator. Adding an Explorer-sized, three-row crossover still leaves room to add a subcompact crossover, as well.

Lincoln has stated that they do not plan to add vehicles cheaper than the MKZ / MKC .. so this seems unlikely.

Not necessarily shortened... but I think it will be different vs. Everest.

Everest and Bronco are fundamentally aimed at different market segments so a large degree of differentiation is probably required. Everest is 3 row mid size SUV with offroad hardware (i.e. it competes with vehicles like Toyota Prado or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport). This kind of SUV actually doesn't sell very well in the US at all so I don't think Ford will just bring the Everest here and call it Bronco.

Ford will be trying to sell Bronco as a lifestyle vehicle so it will probably be a lot closer to Wrangler in concept than Toyota Prado. I'd also imagine that Ford will try to sell the Bronco outside the US... so chances are it will be quite different vs. Everest. I'm not saying Bronco will have Wrangler like styling... I'm saying Bronco will be more "bro".

Oh God, please don't let my beloved Bronco turn into a "Bro truck" :'(

Why did you skip the "lop off 2-doors" part?

2-door heavy duty 4x4 = Bronco, not expedition

That was never stated. I can't skip a comment that wasn't made.

(Besides, I honestly don't think a 2 door full size SUV would be worth building)

Edited by rmc523

I doubt that Biker...if they utilize the global Ranger chassis , which would be a mistake if they did not, then that blows your FWD theory out of the water...

We will see. I think alot of people here are going to be disappointed.

Edited by Biker16
  • Like 1

I hope you are right. :)

you realize that Jeep only has one BOF vehicle, almost all of Jeep's growth and volume is From unibody vehicles.

Why not build the Ranger At KTP, using an upgraded Line 2 their to build the NAVI, EXPY, Ranger and BOF Bronco?

Maintain MAP for the Dedicated HEV, Transit Connect and Lincoln MKC and Sedan.

Edited by Biker16

Why not build the Ranger At KTP, using an upgraded Line 2 their to build the NAVI, EXPY, Ranger and BOF Bronco?

Maintain MAP for the Dedicated HEV, Transit Connect and Lincoln MKC and Sedan.

Because KTP wouldn't be able to handle another 200-250k units a year in the form of Ranger and Bronco sales?

Having those C class products at MAP you speak about would be lucky to make 200k units a year, with the TC being the column leader. I don't see any Lincoln product breaking 50k plus units any time soon.

We will see. I think alot of people here are going to be disappointed.

If the new Bronco is FWD based, I will be very disappointed. It doesn't have to be BOF, but it needs to have a longitudinal engine with a real transfer case. I don't see the point of a FWD based, transverse engine Bronco, they already offer the Escape, Edge & Explorer.

• Like 1

my thoughts exactly NLP....and IMO I hope they use the global Ranger for the underpinnings of both...theres the RWD right there....Fords doing a great job lately with the Monty Python "And now for something COMPLETELY different..mentality ( Lincoln, RS, GT, GT350, Raptor )...why stop now....and the GRWD rumors STILL persist....wooohooo

• Like 2

Because KTP wouldn't be able to handle another 200-250k units a year in the form of Ranger and Bronco sales?

Having those C class products at MAP you speak about would be lucky to make 200k units a year, with the TC being the column leader. I don't see any Lincoln product breaking 50k plus units any time soon.

so you think they will sell 200,000 rangers and broncos?

I am skeptical.

A little background on KTP

KTP is a 2 line plant, before the excursion was added in 1999 it produced the L series medium truck along side the SD on Line 2.

Excursion peaked in it's 2nd year of production at 50,000 units,

The expy/navi was added to Line 2. in 2010.

now the expansion at KTP could allow for additional production.of more SUVs and even another

BOF vehicle.