Distracted driving

Pretty good article on distracted driving...after reading this, a part of me would welcome fully self driving cars....not to mention the law of unintended consequences

How we behave on roads is culturally determined, says James—a confluence of technology, economics, sociology and psychology. A major factor is car design itself, specifically “improvements,” even at the low end, that make cars feel like safe, screen-filled, multi-tasking way stations, a place to text, chat on the phone, eat, even be entertained; in late December, Ontario Provincial Police stopped a man driving over 160 km/h on Highway 401 near Brockville, Ont., watching a movie on a screen taped to his dashboard. He was charged with distracted driving and stunt driving.

One telling casualty is the stick shift, a driving feature requiring hands-on focus. Only nine per cent of cars sold in Canada have manual transmissions, down from 35 per cent in 1980, according to IHS Automotive. Only 3.6 per cent of new car buyers in Canada request it. The new logic is laid out in a much-circulated 2013 video, an audition for a Canadian reality TV show, featuring a candid Dawn Muzzo: “I had a six-speed Porsche but I couldn’t wear my heels, have a cigarette, and drink my coffee whilst shifting,” she says. “So it had to be traded in for an automatic.” (Our ability to drive and multi-task is less than we think, according to a 2015 AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety report that found a phone conversation via hands-free or Bluetooth, which is legal, is mentally demanding and associated with moderate to high levels of cognitive distraction.)

http://www.macleans.ca/society/the-most-dangerous-kind-of-distracted-driving/

• Like 1

It's not so much talking on the phone that bothers me but the sheer number of people that are blatantly texting. They don't even try to hide it where I'm at here in South-Central Indiana. The ones that do think they're being covert about it can't even begin to hide it, a person has a unique look about them while they are glancing down at their phone. Maybe it's my age but these people scare the living shit out of me and a big part of me thinks that texting while driving ought to be hit as hard as drinking while driving. Admittedly I've not fully thought that one out but these people really torque me.

It's not so much talking on the phone that bothers me but the sheer number of people that are blatantly texting. They don't even try to hide it where I'm at here in South-Central Indiana. The ones that do think they're being covert about it can't even begin to hide it, a person has a unique look about them while they are glancing down at their phone. Maybe it's my age but these people scare the living shit out of me and a big part of me thinks that texting while driving ought to be hit as hard as drinking while driving. Admittedly I've not fully thought that one out but these people really torque me.

I totally agree with you. I'm right in the middle of that age where texting and driving is almost expected and I hate doing it. I don't touch my phone while my car is on. There's a city just north of Detroit that banned anything to do with distracted driving (talking/texting on the phone, eating, drinking) and the penalty can be pretty harsh. They even banned hands free devices. While I support that, I wish they would narrow it down a bit. I can understand talking on a hands free device, I do it all the time via sync. It's the physically holding the phone that bothers me.

Tickets are a money maker. So cell phone tickets are like $200. No one wants one but will that really deter you especially with how many cars are on the road compared to the amount of cops. If the government was really concerned with the safety of the people fines for texting would be like $2000, then I bet you would see the number go down. Better yet the Federal government should mandate some kind of blocking device for the phone unless it is through the car system and voice operated only. Maybe something would have to be done on the phone end. Unfortunately our government is to much under control of large corporations that put profit over the safety of the population. People have got to be bad drivers as it is and the phone use just makes it worse. It is not only new or young drivers and older people with slowed response times either. It is experienced middle aged people who used to know how to drive. I guess they are all on phones or drugs (legal or illegal).

I think I'm getting more annoyed watching stupid drivers who aren't texting, doing stupid things.... I mean, if they are texting...fine, I get it, (not saying it's ok), but when I'm on their tail in the passing lane in the highway and they just DONT get it, to move over for passing traffic, and when I pass them on the center lane and look down and NOPE they are not on the phone, NOR texting, then it's like "So whats your excuse for being an idiot?".

Unfortunately my Miami side is now coming out in Orlando (10 years after my move), so I'll pass them on the right lane and just blare the horn and cut them off back into the passing lane. If I can't pass on the right, then I use emergency lane. No turn signal to tell me you need my lane? THEN I'm not letting you in, I'm not Miss Cleo and can predict you need my lane. Over it....

I know I'm in another country but,

don't you love the guys who just have to pass you before cutting across in front and taking the off ramp

Because those kind of people are too good to slow down and drop behind you to make a safe departure to the offramp.

It doesn't matter where you are from. Stupidity is universal!

Edited by StangBang
  • Like 1

I just cannot text and talk on the phone when I am driving. I just had a fit the other day because I was using an alternate phone to map out a route and I could not set the phone it in the mount my normal phone goes into because it was too big so I either had to hold it or set it in my lap instead of glancing at it on the dash mount which is no more distracting than checking a gauge.

I know I'm in another country but,

don't you love the guys who just have to pass you before cutting across in front and taking the off ramp

Especially when there is nobody behind you and they could have easily just slowed down a little and gotten over safely.

I think I'm getting more annoyed watching stupid drivers who aren't texting, doing stupid things.... I mean, if they are texting...fine, I get it, (not saying it's ok), but when I'm on their tail in the passing lane in the highway and they just DONT get it, to move over for passing traffic, and when I pass them on the center lane and look down and NOPE they are not on the phone, NOR texting, then it's like "So whats your excuse for being an idiot?".

I totally agree with this and it has gotten so much worse in the last 5 years or so. I was actually given the finger by a young girl who I flashed my lights at until she moved over and she got right back over and no one was in the right lane. I have given up on that though and do what you do and pass on the right and lay on the horn and get back over giving the look as I pass. Most of the ones doing it are middle age people and not kids or older people. The other thing that irks me is people coming out of a street and making a right turn but doing it into the left lane right in front of me. Then driving a little and moving back to the right lane after I pass them. Try turning the wheel a little more it works. Any effort to follow the rules of the road or ANY thought of how their driving effects anyone else on the road has gone out the window. If it was only the morons on the phone it would be bad enough but add in the people who just don't care or are in a fog from pain killers or anti-depressants and driving has become so much less enjoyable.

While were ranting abut rules of the road I'll mention one more thing that annoys the heck out of me and that's people who feel like they have a God-given right to drive with their bright lights on as a default. My how things have changed in the 35 years I've been driving. At one time it was considered courteous to simply flash your brights lights at them as if to say " excuse me but your bright lights are on" but it seems that no longer works so now I just turn on my brights until they shut theirs off.

I was driving home last Friday afternoon trying to beat the snow storm (have a two hour ride Monday morning and Friday evening till I move) and some idiot in a wrangler was doing 50-55 in a 65 zone in the left lane! I had an opportunity to pass them on the right, so I did and I looked in my rear view mirror and the passenger was flipping me off! The they got in the right lane as I pulled away from them...fucking idiots.

If you really want to know how stupid drivers are, you need to tow something heavy behind you. You know, things that weigh a lot and require more time to stop, more time to speed up, and basically prevents you from making any sudden maneuvers without endangering everyone with 100' of you. Yeah, people are idiots and have no common sense.

While were ranting abut rules of the road I'll mention one more thing that annoys the heck out of me and that's people who feel like they have a God-given right to drive with their bright lights on as a default. My how things have changed in the 35 years I've been driving. At one time it was considered courteous to simply flash your brights lights at them as if to say " excuse me but your bright lights are on" but it seems that no longer works so now I just turn on my brights until they shut theirs off.

Where I'm from the big thing is to drive with the fog lights on in addition to headlights. Some of these are LED or whatever and pretty bright. WTF need them on for when seldom foggy is beyond me.

Where I'm from the big thing is to drive with the fog lights on in addition to headlights. Some of these are LED or whatever and pretty bright. WTF need them on for when seldom foggy is beyond me.

I have mine on all the time. Otherwise they'd never be used. I've never been blinded by fog lights, so not sure how that's that big of a deal. Plenty of people driving around with high beams on, now THAT is annoying. Flashing my high beams at them only sometimes works.