2017 Ford F-150 to Debut with All-New 3.5-Liter EcoBoost Engine and 10-Speed Transmission

If they stick with the 6.2, how much would this help?

That's a good question. We don't know exactly how much the 10 speed will help over the 6 speed in the F150 either. But, I would think the jump from 8 to 10 would not be as much of a help as a jump from 6 to 10. Especially since the 8 speed is newer and should already be more efficient than Ford's current 6 speed.

If they stick with the 6.2, how much would this help?

The 6.2 2WD 8AT official mileage is 21 / 17mpg while the current EB 3.5 2WD with 6AT is 24/ 17mpg.

The new10AT will do a lot more for F150 fuel economy figures than it will for Silverado

but I'm thinking that the 4WD versions of both trucks will see more improvement..

I think Ford missed a golden opportunity last year to align the 2.7 EB with Silverado's 5.3 by

limiting the tow rating to below 8,000 lbs when clearly it can tow that up Ike Gauntlet at 55-60 mph.

I'm hoping that the 10AT finally turns the 2.7 EB F150 into a 5.3 rival in towing stakes while elevating

the EB 35 to a whole other level while maintaining a clear fuel economy advantage over the Silverado 6.2

There's nothing in any of the images I've seen that shows chains or belts. No actuators with teeth, no pulleys.

probably still chains.

Well, I agree it is probably still chains based on this snip from the picture. They don't use tensioners like that on belts and you can see teeth on one of the cam gears.

post-11847-0-69152200-1462486391_thumb.jpg

Edited by theoldwizard

Why still make the 6.2?

For the Super Duty.

I just wonder how this thing would do in a Super Duty. 365/450 is a few HP shy, but 45 more ft-lbs than the 6.2L, at a much lower RPM. Would the fuel economy suck due to being under boost too much because of the weight of the truck? Is the Al block an issue?

Mettech is correct, but I don't agree with his reasoning. IMHO, 12 injectors, a high pressure fuel pump, 2 turbos, etc costs $$$$ and does not help "long term" durability/repairability. Commercial operators (Medium Duty) like "simple".

The real question is, when will the 6.2L be "fixed" so that the 6.8L can finally be put in the grave !

The 5.0 may also see some renewed interest when fitted with the new 10AT,

the 5.0 finally gets a transmission that better matches its power and economy,

I would bet the 2018 5.0 V8 and 2.7 EB will get the 10 speed as well. The 5.0 isn't going anywhere because it's a modern, powerful V8 that's used in other applications. Besides there is still a fairly large chunk of pickup buyers that for whatever reason feel a NA V8 will outlast and be cheaper to maintain then an EcoBoost as the truck gets older. I happen to know quite a few and I notice the local dealers still stock and sell quite a few 5.0 F-150s.

With that said, I sure like my new 2.7 EB for how I use a pickup and I can imagine the 10 speed would make it even better.

• Like 3

when you blow the image of the show engine right up, you see the profile of the cam gears

and what appears to be a little bit of gray on the side guide bar.. (a lot like a cog belt to me)

The rendering (drawing) shows a belt, but if you watch the video in fordman's post, you can clearly see that the real cut-away engine on the stand has a timing chain. It shows up somewhere around the 1:20 mark.

The rendering (drawing) shows a belt, but if you watch the video in fordman's post, you can clearly see that the real cut-away engine on the stand has a timing chain. It shows up somewhere around the 1:20 mark.

Yes, I see it now, good pick up. :worship:

When you look closely at the cutaway in the discussion at 1.04 freeze the video and blow to full screen

and you see the links in the chain....... I was wrong by not getting enough resolution......\

Edited by jpd80

Can we assume that this new 3.5 TT and 10 spd will be in the new Expy/Navi? Will there be a 2.7 version? Kind doubt the 5.0 though.

I would say it's a safe assumption that the new 3.5 TT and 10 speed will be in the new Expy and Navi. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2.7L in the Expy as well, especially with the weight loss that comes with the Al.

I would say it's a safe assumption that the new 3.5 TT and 10 speed will be in the new Expy and Navi. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2.7L in the Expy as well, especially with the weight loss that comes with the Al.

I thought they'd already said that the EB35 would be the only mill in the Expedition, but the Nav might get a second mill.

Or could there be a diesel option...if one is also offered in F150..

• Like 1

Can we assume that this new 3.5 TT and 10 spd will be in the new Expy/Navi? Will there be a 2.7 version? Kind doubt the 5.0 though.

I think 3.5TT and 10 speed will be the top engine choice for both.

My guess is the base model Expy will have 2.7TT and 10 speed, and probably the 3.0 diesel; and the base model Navigator will have 3.0TT and 10 speed.

I'm sure the base engines will be different. Maybe Navi gets the high output 3.5EB from the Raptor.

^this

I can't see them putting an engine in the Navigator that is both bigger and less powerful than the biggest engine available in the Continental and MKZ.

Well working backwards, you' d suspect Navigator will get 3.0 TT & 3.5 TT

so I think the power levels set themselves. Likewise Expedition will probably get

2.7 EB & 3.5 EB shared with F150.....the big question is whether the 5.0V8 has a place.....

Well working backwards, you' d suspect Navigator will get 3.0 TT & 3.5 TT

so I think the power levels set themselves. Likewise Expedition will probably get

2.7 EB & 3.5 EB shared with F150.....the big question is whether the 5.0V8 has a place.....

I would be beyond surprised if Ford brings the 5.0 back to Expedition or Navigator.