2018 Ford Mustang

Ford usually comes out with a kit for this. Plenty of Coyote swaps going on in earlier Mustangs.

The kits are usually stand-alone controllers for putting the Coyote in a vehicle that doesn't have an integrated control system. If you try to do it in something newer than '05 or so, you're likely going to have difficulty because the controllers are all in a network and are expecting to get feedback from the other modules. You could end up with a perfectly functional powertrain, but none of the gauges on the dash work because the gauge cluster controller can't get the info it needs from the powertrain controller, or you can't turn on the headlights because the front end module is expecting commands from the powertrain controller that it doesn't know to give, or your airbags won't deploy in a crash because the powertrain controller wasn't providing speed data to their controller. Or worse--you could have nothing working because the powertrain controller in that vehicle was the computer that controlled everything...

From what I read, the top mechanism is the same - not sure if that's what you were referring to as potentially changing.

no, more of the shape of the roofline. I'm aware they can't do much with it style-wise and still make it function properly, but the proportions look goofy to my eye and it wouldn't bother me to see a tweak. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

no, more of the shape of the roofline. I'm aware they can't do much with it style-wise and still make it function properly, but the proportions look goofy to my eye and it wouldn't bother me to see a tweak.

Well, I'm guessing if the mechanism is the same, it means that the look of it didn't change. I wonder if for the next generation it'll gain a powered cover like the Camaro got in its redesign?

Edited by rmc523

This ^^^^^^^^^.

It's easy to get the engine to run with a stand alone controller. Getting everything to work properly together throughout the vehicle as a daily driver is exponentially more difficult if not downright impossible.

Difficult yes, but not impossible.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1412-how-to-install-coyote-5-0l-engine-on-new-edge-mustang/

It's always interesting to read the BOF posts about the Mustang as it's more than an American icon. Most of us either had a Mustang in the garage years ago, or a family member, or a neighbor, or a good friend. As such, we've all had Mustang stories to share or heard. At first glance, the 2018 Mustang looks so similar to the 2017MY that the changes are barely noticed. Fortunately, Ford recognizes and respects the Mustang's iconic satus and has carefully continued to evolve and refine the Mustang so that it becomes a better vehicle year after year. I'm still stopped, almost daily, by Mustang fans that want to talk about the 2017 Mustang GT Premium Fastback (White Platinum w/Redline Leather) that I drive as my company car. The new 2018 Mustang series looks great and includes far more changes and upgrades than would normally be seen for a mid-cycle refresh. Congratulations to Ford on a job well done!

• Like 6

The visual hood nod to the 1970 torino king cobra is interesting...the one thing i like about the stang is it is fun to drive as all cars need to be..if ford ever upends that the stang will be dead...ford needs to watch how much electro crap they put on the stang that eliminates driver input and mucks up that fun to drive aspect....pretty much a warning for all models...cars need to be fun to drive from the lowly fiesta to the stang..

The visual hood nod to the 1970 torino king cobra is interesting...the one thing i like about the stang is it is fun to drive as all cars need to be..if ford ever upends that the stang will be dead...ford needs to watch how much electro crap they put on the stang that eliminates driver input and mucks up that fun to drive aspect....pretty much a warning for all models...cars need to be fun to drive from the lowly fiesta to the stang..

I agree. I think there should be a one step process to disable all of those electronic aids, allowing for that fun factor shine when desired.

something tells me someone who is a lot smarter than I am will end up figuring that out, if nothing else because why not.

Although this probably won't apply to newer computer controlled vehicles like 351's 2013 Stang, there is mention in an article covering the 2016 SEMA show in the Feb '17 issue of Mustang Monthly magazine about a system that Holley is developing for older vehicle Coyote engine swaps. What is unique about the new Holley EFI controller is that it will also control the Ti-VCT. The feature vehicle in the Holley SEMA booth was a 1966 Mustang fastback called Corner Horse.

From the article: "But the real hook is the Ford Racing Aluminator XS Coyote engine and Holley EFI that controls the variable cam timing (VCT) system. In the past, in order to swap a Coyote into an older car, you had to lock out the cams and kill the low-end engine torque and drivability that VCT gave larger cam profiles, or lose hp at the top that VCT gave smaller cam profiles. Controlling the VCT gives you both. This feature is in development for the Holley HP and Dominator EFI systems and should be available soon."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a32377/2018-ford-mustang-gt-horsepower/

2018 Mustang GT to have 455 HP

At the link above, there is a different digital cluster...maybe a hint?

As for the one posted here...755HP? That would be a nice number for the new Mustang King Cobra or whatever the new range topping mustang is going to be.

I wonder if the Demon will have some competition at the NYIAS.

• Like 1

That is a lovely beast, I like the pics more and more.

According to a source on another board, 20 hp might be a very conservative estimate of the 5.0's hp increase. I do wonder if the next "monster Mustang" will have turbocharging this time around, instead of the typical blower arrangement. Turbo technology has finally caught up to the promises carmakers were throwing around in the 80's.

• Like 1

I saw the 2018 at NAIAS on Saturday. The changes are subtle, but it does look pretty good in person, and discerning customers will clearly see the differences.... I wish the changes were a little more aggressive, but the car has sold well so I get it. (The aftermarket will take care of that!) The front end is more “tapered” and less bulky than the ’15-17 (It’s kinda hard to explain without seeing in the flesh). We'll have to see what the road tests tell us about the chassis & powertrain upgrades and whether it is a better competitor to the Camaro. By the way, nobody, with the exception of a few mullet heads, was looking at the Camaros at NAIAS, at least when I was there......