Ford Motor Company 2017 May Sales Figures

I mean if Aviator is RWD, it seems like they'd get more economies of scale with making Explorer RWD too.

Not sure how the current Explorer would evolve into an Edge though, given the size disparity.

They can offer both, a la Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (5) and Santa Fe (6-7). Also Nissan Murano (5) and Pathfinder (6-7).

But 4 runner/JGC are completely different vehicles than Edge.

The JGC and Edge are closer then you think...the 4Runner is BOF, but that can be handled by the Bronco

The Edge or a derivative of the Edge can handle the JGC if Ford wanted go that route. But I don't think Ford would be wise to Out Jeep with a Jeep like knock off. The Bronco is a different case since it has its own history, even if its a bit speckled from the 1990s. IMO Jeeps sell because of name/image Jeep has, which is hard to compete with...it takes years to build that.

The JGC and Explorer are closer in price to one another, but Explorer is large CUV now and doesn't match up well with it.

JGC is a fully capable off-road SUV. Edge can barely handle a gravel road. Different animals, different markets.

Same thing was said with the FWD Taurus not being able to handle Police duty like driving over curbs at 40 mph etc...

I'm sure if Ford wanted to they could make the Edge based product an Off Road SUV, but why with the Bronco...and Jeep being a Jeep?

A T6 based Bronco is going to be more like a Jeep Renegade than a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

I'm hoping that Ford has pinpointed a Mid-Sized Niche of buyers who want a Jeep alternative

or more correctly want a Bronco and what that's supposed to be...

A T6 based Bronco is going to be more like a Jeep Renegade than a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

I'm hoping that Ford has pinpointed a Mid-Sized Niche of buyers who want a Jeep alternative

Some facts...assuming your talking about the Wrangler:

2/4DR Wrangler dimensions:

164-185″ L x 74″ W x 73″ H (not sure if this is including mirrors or not)

Ford Everest

199.29" L x 70'w x 71.8 (not sure if this is including mirrors or not)

Making the Everest into a Bronco wouldn't take that much...I fully expect the 4 Door Bronco to be roughly around the side of the Edge lengthwise and be the SUV equivalent to it.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is nothing more then a luxury off Road unibody CUV. Does Ford need to really chase that market when they have the Edge and Explorer already and they are adding the Bronco to the mix? I don't think so. They have it nailed down pretty well IMO.

Agree. I hope/think what Ford plan to do with the Bronco is make it their halo/icon product for that segment of the market, in the same way that they have firmly established the Mustang in its segment. I think we all agree that a 4 door product is the volume seller, but Ford needs to make the Bronco a purpose built (2 door) product, as many have suggested here. They need to put a bullseye on Jeep and eliminate the free ride Jeep have had in the marketplace in that segment.

Edited by Harley Lover

Everest is not 199" long. It is 4892 mm or roughly 192.6"

If Bronco is a totally different vehicle than Everest, then it make sense for Bronco to be a mid-size 2 row vehicle. Ford doesn't need another midsize 3-row SUV because Everest and Edge already fills that role depending on markets.

Just so we all understand the relative size of these vehicles:

Edge 2-row: 188" long

Territory: 191" long

Edge 3-row: 192" long

Everest: 193" long

Explorer: 198" long

4Runner: 190" long

Highlander: 193" long

Prado (Lexus GX): 194" long

Wrangler 4 door: 185" long

Grand Cherokee: 190" long

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

By that token we don't need both an escape and a bronco then, do we? They're roughly the same size, right?

Not really...the Escape is 178 inches

I'm Expecting the Bronco to be roughly the size the current Edge, which is 188 inches. If anything it will fall inbetwen that.

I would expect the Bronco to have a little bit of a taller ride height than the Escape and Edge too.

As would the Everest. There may or may not be a market for Everest in NA but I don't think it would overlap with Edge/Explorer as much as some of you do.

As would the Everest. There may or may not be a market for Everest in NA but I don't think it would overlap with Edge/Explorer as much as some of you do.

I just don't see a need for it when they could easily do the same thing with the Bronco. All they would need to do is build both a 2 and 4 door version.
  • Like 1

But at the same time is it worth taking sales away from them? I don't think the market is really there for an off road capable SUV. It would be akin to having a 2 door Fusion competing with the Mustang.

Let the Bronco go after the tough-guy/off road crowd...there is no need to water it down by offering the Everest here also.

Only way Ford could possibly pull it off is to do a Lincoln Land Rover off it, but the sales would be so small that it wouldn't be worth it.

I just don't see a need for it when they could easily do the same thing with the Bronco. All they would need to do is build both a 2 and 4 door version.

I can see lots of families (make that wives) who would live with an Everest but not a Bronco. Again not saying it's a huge market but I think there is a market and it would have to be sold globally to be viable not just in NA.

I don't think the market is really there for an off road capable SUV. It would be akin to having a 2 door Fusion competing with the Mustang.

Everest (Aus). JGC. 4 Runner. It's not a huge market but there is a market.

And again I'm not saying it's needed just that it could work IF they need another T6 product at MAP to round out the plant.

By that token we don't need both an escape and a bronco then, do we? They're roughly the same size, right?

Escape is much smaller. Ford already said Bronco will be a midsize utility so no need to guess... it will be roughly the size of Edge/Everest/4Runner/Grand Cherokee/Highlander etc.

I was just pointing out that IF Bronco is a different vehicle than Everest, Ford doesn't need it to be another 3-row vehicle because it already has that market covered.

5 seat midsize SUV: Bronco

5 seat midsize CUV: Edge

7 seat midsize SUV: Everest

7 seat midsize CUV: Edge

If Bronco and Everest is the same vehicle, then it's just a matter of 5 vs. 7 seats.

Edited by bzcat

Perhaps it's easier to just maximize on the Bronco top hat and see how sales go, if people want more than that there's always the crew cab Ranger..

PS guys,

sorry about the Renegard references, it would seem that I can't tell the difference

between a Wangler and Wenergade.....now I'm sounding British.

Escape is much smaller. Ford already said Bronco will be a midsize utility so no need to guess... it will be roughly the size of Edge/Everest/4Runner/Grand Cherokee/Highlander etc.

I was just pointing out that IF Bronco is a different vehicle than Everest, Ford doesn't need it to be another 3-row vehicle because it already has that market covered.

5 seat midsize SUV: Bronco

5 seat midsize CUV: Edge

7 seat midsize SUV: Everest

7 seat midsize CUV: Edge

If Bronco and Everest is the same vehicle, then it's just a matter of 5 vs. 7 seats.

So if that is the outline where does Explorer fit in?