Ford CEO pushing speed to shake up automaker

I know that Australia really wants the 3-Row Edge there as a replacement for the Territory

and actually gave up allocations of the UK RHD diesel Edge in the hopes that waiting

the extra 12 months would give them the product its buyers wanted.

Third row in an Edge ??? I don't see how they could do that without a longer wheelbase or a massive rear overhang ! Either that or the third row occupants would have to be less than 4' tall.

Third row in an Edge ??? I don't see how they could do that without a longer wheelbase or a massive rear overhang ! Either that or the third row occupants would have to be less than 4' tall.

Explorer is 112" wheelbase and has third row, not that roomy but certainly an occasional three row Utliity

Here's the rear end of the Chinese seven seat Edge

2015-Ford-Edge-LWB-at-2014-Guangzhou-Aut

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

7 seat Edge has basically the same interior as Galaxy so it has adequate room in the 3rd row for most people.

Edge 5 seat is the same size as S-Max which has 7 seats so S-Max is probably a little cramped back there.

Edge 7 seat is the same size as Galaxy (in fact Edge is a little longer).

All 4 vehicles are basically more or less identical on the inside until you get pass the rear doors.

Edge 5 seat

Wheelbase 112.2 in (2,850 mm)

Length 188.1 in (4,778 mm)

Width 75.9 in (1,928 mm)

Height 68.6 in (1,742 mm)

S-Max

Wheelbase 2,850 mm (112.2 in)

Length 4,796 mm (188.8 in)

Width 1,916 mm (75.4 in)

Height 1,655 mm (65.2 in)

Edge 7 seat

Length 4,878 mm (192.0 in)

Width 1,925 mm (75.8 in)

Height 1,770 mm (69.7 in)

Galaxy

Length 4,848 mm (190.9 in)

Width 1,916 mm (75.4 in)

Height 1,747 mm (68.8 in)

S-Max Interior

ford-smax-eu-3_SMX_35016_R_38614_125-16x

Edge 7 seat interior

suvs-kuga-gallery-int-overlay-4.jpg

Galaxy interior

ford-galaxy-eu-3_GAL_35174_R_38547_125-1

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

I mean at the end of the current cycle

I still don't see the difference between the Galaxy and the S-Max and why both exist in the current format. Been to Europe several times and have seen them - just cant figure out why some one would get one over the other and why both were engineered and are not just one vehicle.

• Like 1

I still don't see the difference between the Galaxy and the S-Max and why both exist in the current format. Been to Europe several times and have seen them - just cant figure out why some one would get one over the other and why both were engineered and are not just one vehicle.

Different characters, plus fill different needs or priorities. Also I understand the majority of S-Max's sold are the 5 seater variants.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/ford-galaxy-vs-ford-s-max-comparison

post-25487-0-47909400-1500063410_thumb.jpg

Edited by MKII

The obvious difference is the 3rd row... S-Max is truly occasional use whereas Galaxy has a little more room for both people and cargo back there.

The Galaxy has a larger third row (at least in headroom) and a larger cargo area. Think of it like the difference between the Explorer and Flex.

More like the difference between Mondeo hatchback vs. Mondeo wagon.

Different characters, plus fill different needs or priorities. Also I understand the majority of S-Max's sold are the 5 seater variants.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/ford-galaxy-vs-ford-s-max-comparison

S-Max is aimed at private users whereas Galaxy has a big commercial sales volume. For example, S-Max is available in fancy Vignale trim while Galaxy is not available with Vignale. And Galaxy is a popular minicab/van taxi vehicle in UK and Germany. If you ever call a minicab taxi in London to take you to the airport, someone is going to show up in a black Galaxy to take you to Heathrow.

7029386511_dbf7925b49_b.jpg

My_Ford_Galaxy72.jpg

id-001_ford-galaxy-ii-2010-2014-taxi-vl-

c125e60b8423884ab46326ac381b6de4.jpg

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

The comparison of S-Max to Galaxy is a valid one as both share the same floor pan and may components,

the difference comes form changes to the rear of the vehicles that add space for third row head room and leg room.

It's really the only way you can get there with 112" wheelbase and provide a usable third row.

If Ford was considering the Galaxy as a Flex replacement, that may be an opportunity to increase the wheelbase

to something like 116" and provide the space and comfort that North American buyers expect. It's also why I'm

betting that the NG Explorer will grow in wheelbase to differentiate it from Edge and to provide that extra room

for third row passengers....not as long as Traverse but certainly not unlike the Tahoe's 116" wheelbase...

Be under no illusion that what is considered "acceptable third row room" in China and Europe is not necessarily

the case for US buyers, especially where distances traveled may be longer and with more luggage on board.

This is Galaxy third row

Ford-Galaxy-Boot-Seats.jpg

This is Flex third row.. notice the difference afforded by 117.9" wheelbase has been given to 2nd and 3rd row comfort.

Ford-Flex-04.jpg

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Hehe.....dorking station.....hehe

Rude and Funny London Street and Place Names
  • Back Passage, London
  • Mincing Lane, London
  • Mudchute, London
  • Percy Passage, London
  • Swallow Passage, London
  • Trump Street, London
  • Cumming Street, London
  • Cockfoster, London
  • Dick Turpin Lane, London
  • Cock Hill, London
  • Titley Close, London
  • Cockbush Avenue, London

And to cap it of, that dorky looking car in front of it. I am glad Ford doesn't sell that over here... although it would probably outsell the Merkurs.

Probably why Flex hasn't been replaced, for all its faults, the Flex still looks

much better than the Mondeo like nose on the Galaxy - it looks like a giant C-max.

2017-Ford-Galaxy-review.jpg

Edited by jpd80

The comparison of S-Max to Galaxy is a valid one as both share the same floor pan and may components,

the difference comes form changes to the rear of the vehicles that add space for third row head room and leg room.

It's really the only way you can get there with 112" wheelbase and provide a usable third row.

If Ford was considering the Galaxy as a Flex replacement, that may be an opportunity to increase the wheelbase

to something like 116" and provide the space and comfort that North American buyers expect. It's also why I'm

betting that the NG Explorer will grow in wheelbase to differentiate it from Edge and to provide that extra room

for third row passengers....not as long as Traverse but certainly not unlike the Tahoe's 116" wheelbase...

Be under no illusion that what is considered "acceptable third row room" in China and Europe is not necessarily

the case for US buyers, especially where distances traveled may be longer and with more luggage on board.

This is Galaxy third row

Ford-Galaxy-Boot-Seats.jpg

This is Flex third row.. notice the difference afforded by 117.9" wheelbase has been given to 2nd and 3rd row comfort.

Ford-Flex-04.jpg

Ive never been in a Flex, but I once rode in the 3rd row of a Freestyle for a 3 hr trip. It wasnt uncomfortable. Sufficient shoulder, hip and leg room.

• Like 2

I don't know what you're looking at. The Galaxy looks great to me. *shrug*

While it may look great to some of us, I doubt that enough buyers in the target segment would agree,

happy to be proven wrong on this but even in it's home market only 1,700 sales last month.

Probably why Flex hasn't been replaced, for all its faults, the Flex still looks

much better than the Mondeo like nose on the Galaxy - it looks like a giant C-max.

2017-Ford-Galaxy-review.jpg

Well it looks better then nothing...but then again I don't think there is much of any market for a multipurpose CUV that doesn't look like a SUV. Several models in the US over the past 10-15 years have bore that out.