Ford to import Fusion from China... or not

That build complexity isn't a problem with the F-Series, it's a necessity. There are some people who buy them like cars ("ooh, shiny, seats five, pretty color"), but there are more people who buy them tailored to meet a need. Those people know, f'rinstance, that they want the 3.73 e-locker rear end, EB35 mill, 157" wheelbase, SuperCrew cab, and Max Payload but not Max Tow, and if they can't get that combination, they'll go to Chebbie to get it there.

All true but see, the issue I have with Ford complaining about possible build combinations in Fusion

is entirely of their own making and simply because Hackett now wants to save a lot more money

buy offering fewer combination choices and locking buyers into grouped options.

I don't necessarily disagree with grouped options but I really question whether all that freedom in ordering

was ever really demanded by customers, just Ford casting a wide net that probably doesn't add that much.

In any case, Ford should have enough sales data to pick the sweet spots of trim levels and options that

suit most buyers.

• Like 1

Ford should have enough sales data to pick the sweet spots of trim levels and options that

suit most buyers.

It doesn't work like that with truck buyers. Truck buyers want what they want and nothing extra because options take away from payload. Options raise the price of something already so expensive their payments rival most people's mortgage payments. Truck buyers are finicky. Tell them what they want and they will go somewhere else. Ford does that they are out of business because the F-series IS Ford.

• Like 3

It doesn't work like that with truck buyers. Truck buyers want what they want and nothing extra because options take away from payload. Options raise the price of something already so expensive their payments rival most people's mortgage payments. Truck buyers are finicky. Tell them what they want and they will go somewhere else. Ford does that they are out of business because the F-series IS Ford.

My comment was in regards to Fusion getting reduced build variations, not F150.

My original comment in regards to F150 was this:

I noticed that Hackett never once mentioned the ordering complexity that surrounds F150,

That build complexity seems less of an issue when you're making bucket loads of cash..

so clearly, there's a difference in what For will tolerate in build freedom for F150 as opposed to Fusion

and that has to come down to the importance of F150 and its giant profits that dwarf Fusion's contribution.

Hackett wants to save lots of money on the car side, a good way to do that is to lock in the build process

parts supplie volume and mix required.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

If Explorer moved from Chicago (and Fusion took its place) where could Explorer go? I'm wondering if CD6 is a big enough change that you wouldn't want to start production somewhere other than CAP (vs losing production to retool). I assume that's why the Escape moved factories for instance.

and the autonews article they sourced is just as ridiculous

http://www.autonews.com/article/20171219/BLOG06/171219738/why-ford-would-be-comfortable-killing-the-fusion

How do I know? He literally said, "I'm giving you a hint," when asked whether or not there's need for the Fusion in Ford's future.

Automakers have traditionally built sedans such as the Fusion, Hackett said, to offer a more budget-friendly option to gas-guzzling trucks and utilities. But thanks to EcoBoost engines, 10-speed transmissions and other technologies, Ford and others are "starting to crack that code" and close the fuel-economy gap between cars and light trucks.

"The reasons for the balance in history had more to do with fuel than customer preference," Hackett said. "And so, if you can get rid of the difference there because of fuel, you start to relieve the pressure of what kind of portfolio you have to have."

So basically, if they can get an Edge to get same MPG's as the Fusion and the market is demanding a 2 box vs 3 box vehicle, why offer a sedan?

I really don't think Ford would walk away from a market that they sell 200K or so units in though.

First of all there will always be people who want to be different fro the crowd and trends do come and go. Also whatever technology you use on a heavier vehicle you can also use on the lighter one gaining even more mpg. The gap is narrowing but can never be totally erased because of the laws of physics.

• Like 1

The next gen Focus is getting bigger and will probably have a comparable interior size to today's Fusion. Based on that, I could see Ford going to a 2 sedan strategy, the Focus and something to replace the Fusion & Taurus. In my perfect world, it would be a RWD/AWD sedan that shared parts & power-trains with the Mustang. That's something I would replace my Fusion Sport with in a few years.

• Like 3

In my perfect world, it would be a RWD/AWD sedan that shared parts & power-trains with the Mustang. That's something I would replace my Fusion Sport with in a few years.

That's what some of us are thinking - make a CD6 RWD/AWD Ford sedan. Lower volume but higher ATPs - stop competing directly with Camcord - you're not going to win that one.

There are too many profitable sales at stake here to just walk away.

• Like 2

I really don't think Ford would walk away from a market that they sell 200K or so units in though.

It would if it's not making money on those 200K sales. Just wonder what the future of Hermosillo is. I remember reading over 10 years ago that Chris Theodore wanted Ford to give up competing with Camry/Accord and develop a mid size RWD sedan. Ford rejected his advise and developed the Fusion.

It would if it's not making money on those 200K sales.

Agreed. Camry, Altima, Sonata and Optima are all putting price pressure on the market (Accord is also offering discounts but not as much as the others) and the market is way more crowded than before with good contenders.

The difference I think now vs. 15 years ago is the new CD6 platform is supposed to be hybrid ready out of the box.

Put B and C stuff in Mexico including Model E (except maybe Escape in Lousiville). CAP gets CD6 explorer/Aviator. FRAP and/or CAP get CD6 cars (Conti/MKZ/Mustang/Fusion replacement).

Or If Fusion stays CD4 maybe they move it to Oakville alongside Edge/MKX which presumably stay CD4 for now.

The next gen Focus is getting bigger and will probably have a comparable interior size to today's Fusion. Based on that, I could see Ford going to a 2 sedan strategy, the Focus and something to replace the Fusion & Taurus. In my perfect world, it would be a RWD/AWD sedan that shared parts & power-trains with the Mustang. That's something I would replace my Fusion Sport with in a few years.

replacing Fusion with something that shares platform with the Mustang makes sense. Isn't the Mustang suppose to move to a new platform MY21 or 22? Will that be shared with a CUV? If true then this would all start to make some sense.

• Like 2

replacing Fusion with something that shares platform with the Mustang makes sense. Isn't the Mustang suppose to move to a new platform MY21 or 22? Will that be shared with a CUV? If true then this would all start to make some sense.

Speculation is mustang moves to a CD6 architecture which would be shared with Explorer/Aviator and other Lincolns. I think they moved the new mustang up from 22 to 20.

OK, here's something from left field, I started looking at which other North American plants produce CD4 based products,

Oakville and Flat Rock. A change is coming at Oaville, Flex and MKT are probably not going to continue on much longer.

so, what it Fusion and Mondeo go to Oakville to service US, Europe and ROW markets, like it does with the Edge...

That would clear the way for Flat Rock to continue as now,maybe pick up MKZ successor and stay a slow speed plant.

but with a bit more aligned product..

Speculation is mustang moves to a CD6 architecture which would be shared with Explorer/Aviator and other Lincolns. I think they moved the new mustang up from 22 to 20.

If there is indeed still a FWD and RWD version of CD6, What if they aligned it like this?

-Oakville: FWD CD6 plant (Fusion, Edge)

-FRAP: RWD CD6 car plant (MKZ successor, Conti, Mustang)

-Chicago: RWD CD6 crossover plant (Explorer, Aviator, Nautilus)

This would likely require a Chicago expansion, though.

Edited by rmc523

More likely, Ford will bring out more UV's, before any new passenger cars. Any new electric vehicle will have be a Ute, to get paying customers. I don't expect any RWD/AWD sedan ever, unless new generation of buyers pays for it.

Gen X and older are in love with "truck like" vehicles.

Edited by 630land

What if whats going on here isnt that theyre killing the Fusion per se but condensing the sedan lineup?

The Taurus is gone after 2018 (some form of announcement should be coming soon) and we know based on spy photos that the next Focus is closer to the size of the current Fusion. So what if theyre killing the Fusion in name only? Maybe theyre making NG Fusion closer to midsize and calling it a Taurus? But that still leaves the question of where theyre going to build it....

• Like 1

More likely, Ford will bring out more UV's, before any new passenger cars. Any new electric vehicle will have be a Ute, to get paying customers. I don't expect any RWD/AWD sedan ever, unless new generation of buyers pays for it.

Gen X and older are in love with "truck like" vehicles.

True. coming out with a new sedan even based off CD6 makes no sense. They said they were shifting dollars to crossovers from sedans. Like FCA did with using Dart / 200 capacity to build Jeeps. Still hard to believe Ford will get by with only one Sedan in the US (the imported Focus). Are they really going to follow FCA's lead on this one?

True. coming out with a new sedan even based off CD6 makes no sense. They said they were shifting dollars to crossovers from sedans. Like FCA did with using Dart / 200 capacity to build Jeeps. Still hard to believe Ford will get by with only one Sedan in the US (the imported Focus). Are they really going to follow FCA's lead on this one?

Killing Taurus and launching Aviator is one example of shifting focus.

They’re selling 180K Fusions now with essentially a 6 yr old top hat. The market itself is still pretty large and it would be silly to walk away from it completely. A CD6 sedan could help amortize the platform/architecture and could provide profitable sales (albeit at a lower volume) compared to current Fusion.

Not saying they have to do this, just saying it can make business sense.

• Like 2

http://www.autonews.com/article/20171219/BLOG06/171219738/why-ford-would-be-comfortable-killing-the-fusion

So basically, if they can get an Edge to get same MPG's as the Fusion and the market is demanding a 2 box vs 3 box vehicle, why offer a sedan?

Unless Mr. "Hack-it" is hinting the sedan will be from China and it won't be called Fusion as Taurus and Fusion are different wheelbases on the same platform so it will be called the Taurus when imported here and Mondeo will die in Europe. So in the end the China name is the one that will stick.