2020 Explorer

If it was RWD with a N/ S powertrain, how would it differentiate with Everest?

Everest is BOF and mid size (about the same size as Edge, 4Runner, Highlander, Grand Cherokee etc.)

Explorer is unibody and large size (about the same size as Mazda CX-8, VW Atlas and Dodge Durango etc.)

Basically. Everest is to Edge what Expedition is to Explorer in terms of where they reside in the Ford lineup

Edited by bzcat

thx-Knew it was BOF but not sure about size-looks more like first generation Explorers

Almost exactly the same exterior size as 4th gen Explorer (the last BOF one) and the 7 seat Edge.

Everest

Length: 192.6"

Width: 73.2"

Height: 72.3"

Wheelbase: 112.2"

2006-2010 4th gen Explorer

Length: 193.4"

Width: 73.7"

Height: 71.9"

Wheelbase: 113.7"

2018 Edge 5 seat

Length: 188.1"

Width: 75.9"

Height: 68.6"

2017 Edge 7 seat

Length: 192.1"

Height: 69.7"

Put it another way... Bronco will be a little bigger than 5 seat Edge, Everest is a little bigger than 7 seat Edge, and Expedition SWB will a little bigger than the next Explorer.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Almost exactly the same exterior size as 4th gen Explorer (the last BOF one) and the 7 seat Edge.

Everest

Length: 192.6"

Width: 73.2"

Height: 72.3"

2006-2010 4th gen Explorer

Length: 193.4"

Width: 73.7"

Height: 71.9"

Wheelbase: 113.7"

2018 Edge 5 seat

Length: 188.1"

Height: 68.6"

2017 Edge 7 seat

Length: 192.1"

Height: 69.7"

Put it another way... Bronco will be a little bigger than 5 seat Edge, Everest is a little bigger than 7 seat Edge, and Expedition SWB will a little bigger than the next Explorer.

The wife has had 3 new Explorers and when the time came for a new one, she refused to get the new generation as she "can't see out the back". So I found a CPO 2010 Limited with 27,000 miles on it. Sure hope the new Explorer-or Everest- offers an improvement on rearward visibility.

Some people just aren't content with camera technology!

• Like 1

The wife has had 3 new Explorers and when the time came for a new one, she refused to get the new generation as she "can't see out the back". So I found a CPO 2010 Limited with 27,000 miles on it. Sure hope the new Explorer-or Everest- offers an improvement on rearward visibility.

Sounds like she really will like Bronco if she doesn't need the 3rd row seat ;)

Edited by bzcat

Same here. I still have my '09 Eddie Bauer. I hate the thought of replacing it. There's just nothing out there that would be a good replacement for it. The only suitable replacement is the hideous 4Runner. The current Explorer reminds me of the old, quasi-minivan Freestyle. It sits a lot lower than the old Explorer, and I agree with your wife about its visibility. The new Expedition is great, but it's really pricey.

• Like 1

gee, I wonder why? ange003.gif

I got a lot crap over the years for saying that, but it's true. It's simply a reengineered and restyled Freestyle/Taurus X with an elaborate offroad gadget to give it some SUV credibility.

Ford's marketing dept. really did an outstanding job with the reveal and launch of it. That was one of the best marketing campaigns I've witnessed from Ford, IMO.

Edited by The Handler
  • Like 2

I hear you guys. I actually got as far as getting a new 2 bbl (in the box) and new battery for it a couple of months ago but that is it. As always the big question is how far do you go with these things. '68 Sport, 289, 3 spd,

Well lets find out! Its only money, we cant take it with us.

• Like 1

2020 Ford Explorer?

The prototypes I have seen in Dearborn driving down Oakwood Blvd. near the Oakwood Hospital look like a Body on Frame vehicles because there appears to be an actual frame beneath the body. Vehicles look very similar to the current Explorers, but the current Explorers are unitized and Front wheel drive based!

I will guess the new Explorer is slightly bigger than the current, built off of a modified Ranger/Everest frame, ie wider and longer, and rear wheel drive based!

This is not a step backwards because if you do it right, the weight penalty is almost zero, more flexibility, easier restyling etc.

Actually GM had it right on the old rear wheel drive intermediates, I think they were called G body , Regals, Tempest, malibu, cutlass supreme

Body on Frame and balanced structual stiffness between BOF and Body Structure!

If I am right, and the 202 Explorer is rear wheel drive based, you will able to get a four wheel drive Low range in this new vehicle and some type of active all wheel drive for high range.

Every thirty years or so, we make the full circle on vehicle archetecture. Pretty soon we will have a New Lincoln Towncar!

Edselford

The wheelbase on Explorer (112") could stand to grow a bit to better fill the gap between it

the 122" WB Expedition and the 112" WB Edge. Increasing wheelbase would give Explorer

a far more usable third row and more competitive with Traverse and Tahoe to some extent.