Ford January 2018 Sales Down 6.6%; Lincoln Sales Plummet 27%

KTP only made about 5,000 Expedition and 1300 Navigators in December, I'm not surprised that there's few on the ground

I think this is an area that Hackett needs to look at because it's going to really bottleneck deliveries, perhaps a rebalance of

Super Duty - Expedition - Navigator is warranted and maybe Super Saturdays are coming?

Edited by jpd80

On the contrary, anecdotal evidence by deanh is that dealers were not permitted to order anything but high series Expeditions.

Edited by jpd80

Well, when they've just redesigned their platforms and underpinnings for the first time in 20 years, that has to help profitability.

To be fair...Explorer, Taurus and Flex are on a 20 year old platform. Yes the platform has been updated over the years, but so have Toyotas as well.

To be fair...Explorer, Taurus and Flex are on a 20 year old platform. Yes the platform has been updated over the years, but so have Toyotas as well.

Correct and it's that carried through inefficiency in space and crash protection design that makes those vehicles

smaller on the inside and heavier than they should be. I'm looking forward to Ford finally hitting the reset button

with Explorer and Aviator and hopefully, more good news springs from that.

I'd also like to know what becomes of the Flex / MKT side of Oakville, does that become the Aviator production linewh

ile CAP becomes exclusively Explorer or is there another plan?

On January's sales figures, I wouldn't read too much into them, half of the drop was due to delayed rental sales

and the rest you can blame on the weather with the snow belt coming so far south this year.

Edited by jpd80

I think ultimately both Chicago and Oakville both become CD6 plants.

What mix of what gets made where, thougg, Im not sure.

Oakville will need something in addition to just Edge and Nautilus though.

I suppose they could do Explorer overflow. Chicago has a hard time keeping up with demand at times right now, so if this new model is a bigger hit its a no brainer.

I hear a lot of criticism of the of the old D3 platform. Granted, it is not so efficient in terms of interior space compared to overall size/weight....with the possible exception of the old Ford 500 and 2008/2009 Taurus. However, in terms of solidity, ruggedness and overall "feel," it is pretty good. When driving our Taurus back to back with our even heavier Continental, there isn't as much an upgrade (platform wise) as you might expect, other than the rear seat room.

Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 1

I think ultimately both Chicago and Oakville both become CD6 plants.

What mix of what gets made where, thougg, Im not sure.

Oakville will need something in addition to just Edge and Nautilus though.

Don’t forget they’re exporting Edges from Oakville as well as NA sales. I expect to see the 3 row Edge at Oakville at some point.

Dont forget theyre exporting Edges from Oakville as well as NA sales. I expect to see the 3 row Edge at Oakville at some point.

I know, just saying, itd benefit the plant to add another product. Definitely agree about the 3-row Edge. I think well see it for the next gen once Explorer scoots upward a bit and Flex goes away.

-

As for Fuzzys thought (cant multiquote on the phone, can we fix that?) would it be more beneficial to make Oakville Explorer overflow, or just to make Chicago Explorer only, and put Aviator in Oakville (you could then have better Lincoln quality as youd be making both Nautilus and Aviator in one location.

I realize youve said Aviator will be at Chicago, though.

Don’t forget they’re exporting Edges from Oakville as well as NA sales. I expect to see the 3 row Edge at Oakville at some point.

OAP also supplies Europe in LHD and RHD as well as ROW later this year. They made need more space to cover

increasing build complexity...

I suppose they could do Explorer overflow. Chicago has a hard time keeping up with demand at times right now, so if this new model is a bigger hit its a no brainer.

Might be a good idea on Explorer going there as well, overflow as well as Export Explorers. Canada has better trade agreements than the US does so they can more easily ship them out form there.

Any chance Fusion goes to OAC? Assuming Edge stays FWD based, Explorer would seem an odd stablemate.

I suppose it too is possible but it really is anyones guess right now.

But then again they already build the FWD/AWD Continental on the same line as the RWD Mustang so a RWD/AWD Explorer sharing a line with the FWD/AWD Edge and Nautilus isnt too far fetched of an idea.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I suppose it too is possible but it really is anyones guess right now.

But then again they already build the FWD/AWD Continental on the same line as the RWD Mustang so a RWD/AWD Explorer sharing a line with the FWD/AWD Edge and Nautilus isnt too far fetched of an idea.

Assuming the CD6 architecture is as versatile as is roomered it might be good. Edge could be 2/3 row at a lower price point and FWD/AWD. The Nautilus would stay 2 row and be RWD/AWD.

I agree... seems that 7 seat Edge is exactly what Ford will need to fully replace S-Max and Galaxy in Europe. And Ford Australia desperately needs 7 seat Edge to properly replace the Territory. The fact that 7 seat didn't make it to Oakville for the current gen is understandable given Ford trying to protect Explorer in North America... but with next gen Explorer likely going up in size and price, the room is wide open for 7 seat Edge.

<unsubstantiated bitching about fleet sales redacted>

Too bad... I would love to see his take on this article... :spend:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-01/nissan-and-toyota-s-secret-u-s-sales-weapon-fleet-customers

Deliveries to fleets surged 48 percent last month for Nissan and 69 percent for Toyota, according to Cox Automotive. Of Nissan’s 41,550 and Toyota’s 24,281 vehicles sold to fleets in January, all but a few thousand were to rental-car companies.

~snip

Nissan, which set a target years ago to reach 10 percent market share in the U.S., has boosted its fleet business to get there.

Toyota’s deliveries to fleets will be lower in the second half of the year and will likely end up at about 10 percent of its total U.S. sales in 2018

Toyota's January 2018 fleet sale % is 16.3% almost all of it to rental fleet. And Nissan's fleet sale is 36.8% this month, again nearly all of it to rental. Toyota and Nissan sell very little to the commercial or Govt customers mainly because they don't have the right model mix (trucks and vans) to sell to commercial and Govt customers. Ford's rental sales is at 9% this month (2017 was 11%) which looks pretty good by comparison.

This BTW, is the reason why I predict Toyota will nudge Ford from #2 in the US market this year. Toyota is going to push a lot of new Camry into rental on the scale of what Nissan had been doing with Altima and will easily past Ford's sales volume. Unless Ford responds in kind.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Curious for my fellow F stock bros, how much farther do you see the price dropping? I'm planning to make another buy soon.

I have trouble posting any pix here so

try going Here and bringing up the 3 year chart.

Looks surprisingly consistent imho.

:-(

Curious for my fellow F stock bros, how much farther do you see the price dropping? I'm planning to make another buy soon.

We have a morning management meeting every day to review pending deals and to make sure that all departments are on the same page to ensure that vehicles are prepped, detailed, etc. on schedule for delivery. At that same time it's an opportunity to discuss any other business matters in an open forum. Yesterday morning the Dealer Principal was talking about Ford CEO Hackett being on the cover of Automotive News the past few weeks. Each article mentions Hackett talking to Wall Street and other business audiences and after he talks, the audience shakes their heads asking what he was talking about. Hackett is quickly becoming more of a liability than Mark Fields. Ford's stock will continue to be "weak" as long as Wall Street thinks that there's no real leadership at Ford. The guy built office furniture and now wants Ford to use Tesla as its operating model.

• Like 1