Ford February 2018 Sales

For some reason the ContI reminds me of the last gen Azera. I think its the low trunk.

The low trunk is my least favorite part about the car, otherwise I think it is nice looking. I prefer the rear of the MKZ actually.

Theres a lot of talk about standing out in this segment and I really dont think any one brand stands out personally, with the exception of maybe the full size Jag XJ. I just wanted to hear some thoughts as to what stands out to people.

Edited by tbone

And the Navis gulling doors were impractical and unnecessary. Im starting to see a lot of Navigators around. They look great.

The Navigator's gullwing door was never intended for production--they even said so at the time. It was only there to showcase the interior.

Speaking of that. Wonder what will happen to those show vehicles? Seems such a shame to crush them.

I'd bet that most get crushed, and the iconic ones go to Ford's archives or someplace like the Henry Ford. I doubt that any of them get away from Ford these days; too much liability.

I'd bet that most get crushed, and the iconic ones go to Ford's archives or someplace like the Henry Ford. I doubt that any of them get away from Ford these days; too much liability.

Im sure they do but seems like a waste for the Navi. I would have like to have seen the gulwing doors and how they made them work on that vehicle. Even the running boards were cool.

There was a website I saw years ago that had concept cars you could buy. They were not able to be licensed. I think they had the MKS concept for sale and it said to have the 4.4 v8 in it from Volvo. eBay had the sintinel for sale but it was just a body on a motorized chassis.

Like Ive said in various threads, I think quiet luxury was more a result of what they had available than the true direction they ultimately want, so thats waht theyre going with in the short term. Long term (once CD6 comes out), I think well see them pivot more toward a sporty image along with the luxury that they have now.

Agree with everything! All the decisions that LINCOLN is currently taking, such as not expanding markets and not sporting division, are being justified in the latest low sales results and below expected. There is no way they produce low-volume vehicles, like sports cars, or expand markets if in the current markets and with the vehicles that Lincoln already has they are having difficulties.

Edited by RadicalX

Agree with everything! All the decisions that LINCOLN is currently taking, such as not expanding markets and not sporting division, are being justified in the latest low sales results and below expected. There is no way they produce low-volume vehicles, like sports cars, or expand markets if in the current markets and with the vehicles that Lincoln already has they are having difficulties.

February's results were a result of practically no incentives to speak of for Lincoln,

tie that to uncompetitive financing rates and no stair stepping incentives for deales

and I think you see the problem.

it's one thing to have less than ideal products but when you couple that to other impediments

that are entirely Ford's own making and reversible in short time, I conclude it's just stingy business...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

There was a website I saw years ago that had concept cars you could buy. They were not able to be licensed. I think they had the MKS concept for sale and it said to have the 4.4 v8 in it from Volvo. eBay had the sintinel for sale but it was just a body on a motorized chassis.

I seem to recall the Mark IX concept changing hands not long ago, and it had jack squat below the beltline--it literally had a sheet of plywood that formed a platform about halfway up for the stuff you could see through the windows, and nothing but the exterior sheet metal and wheels below that.

FWIW, I'd guess that the gullwing Navi would be one of those they kept. That would be a hell of a lot of work to run through the crusher...

Edited by SoonerLS

February's results were a result of practically no incentives to speak of for Lincoln,

tie that to uncompetitive financing rates and no stair stepping incentives for deales

and I think you see the problem.

it's one thing to have less than ideal produsts but when you couple that to other impediments

that are entirely Ford's own making and reversible in short time, I conclude it's just stingy business...

hmm

so what does it mean if all that is deliberate? = don't care about selling anymore?

suicide.gif

otoh - what if they sent a double shipment to China? ...got inventory numbers?

Edited by 2b2

I think Ford has gone back to its old ways of playing to its strength - F Series with 68K last month

do they really need to compete in the off season if 17 run outs are mostly done...

Not a good attitude I know but is this the legacy that Hackett inherited or is stuck with for now?

Inventory 3-1-18

MKZ.................6,600 (115 days)

Continental......2,500 (79 days)

MKC...............8,500 (132 days).

MKX...............8,400 (111 days).

MKT..................500 (88 days)

Navigator.......1,600 (36 days)

Edited by jpd80

The impression I got leading up to and around the Conti reveal was that the Continental WAS supposed to be that wow vehicle...

Unpopular opinion: but I wish they would have kept the Gullwing doors.

Wasn't it "Suicide" doors, not Gullwing doors, that were shown at one point on the Continental concept?

Wasn't it "Suicide" doors, not Gullwing doors, that were shown at one point on the Continental concept?

I swear I thought there was.... but nope, when I went to google it was just regular old doors for the Conti.

lincoln_continental_concept_zive_15_800_

Now there was a concept from like 2002 that had suicide doors, but that wasn't the one i was thinking of. Guess I should lay off the booze or something.

The frameless windows on the concept are nice. From a tech stand point they can suck because of wind and water issues. To me it gives it a cleaner look. I think the option for the chrome on the exterior like the concept would have stepped up the styling.

Its a much cleaner look though. Im surprised given the Mustang has frameless windows that they didnt try it. I dont think it would take much for them to add a machine to install the window in the back door like they have for the front.